running in smoke (Read 116 times)

Gizmo2019

anyone run during wildfires out there?

my weather app says smoke but the AQI is in the moderate range. I cant tell if that is ozone pollution or wildfire smoke. I dont SEE smoke. but a couple years ago we had bad smoke for days...i was running indoors and it was difficult and possibly 'damaging.'

I tried when we had those big fires a few years ago near the Bay Area. It didn't seem bad, it just smelled like campfire. Even when it was visibly smokey I didn't have any immediate effects, but all those particles CANNOT be good for you, or me. Maybe one of those "illegal" N95 dust masks with the exhale flap (that allows CV19 particles to stream out) would be a good idea, but certainly not fun. Treadmill inside?

We're getting smoke NOW, I ran up Mt Tam yesterday and saw two HUGE fires, North and South, and another one closer to the Bay started in Marin after I got home. It smells like campfire in my house right now (07:33 PCT)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Same here in the east bay. Smells like campfire now. I don’t have an indoor treadmill yet. Are you taking a break then from outdoor runs? Yes, even if you can’t see it it’s there...I get up early everyday to check but it’s always moderate to unhealthy for sensitive groups. Guess I’ll have to delay.

darn fires!

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.airnow.gov/

I use this.

If the AQI is 150+ I'm not running outside. It's an easy number to remember, and it also literally qualifies as UNHEALTHY.

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=San%20Jose&state=CA&country=USA

IF I lived in San Jose, CA I'd not be running today. I've had to marathon train with wildfires and I remind myself I can go a day without running and not fail at my goal race. I CAN'T repair my lungs. PM2.5 (particulate matter under 2.5 microns in diameter) is some NASTY stuff.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Gizmo2019

So you think

149 and lower is safe enough? Yes I use that site...

Running Problem

Problem Child

So you think

149 and lower is safe enough? Yes I use that site...

149 is close enough to 150 I would take the day off, or find a treadmill indoors. When it starts burning your eyes or you can feel ash, or even sitting inside makes your face itch I personally find no need to go for a run. Permanent damage to the lungs, vs an easy run is a simple decision for me to make. Everyone is different so maybe wearing a mask like it's COVID 19 season will help. I'd personally just take the time off until the air clears. Maybe consider running earlier in the morning or later at night if the AQI drops.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Gizmo2019

Thanks. Yes that’s what I’ve been doing but wondering if i was overreacting. I get up at 5:30am but this morning it had jumped to the 150s from 70 an hr before. Might as well take the week off.

rmcj001

Live on the Peninsula.  We have a purple air monitor. Yesteray during the morning I didn't feel up to running when AQI readings were below 50.  Took the dog for a walk in the evening and reading was 130.  When we got back it was ~170. By 10 it was around 300.  Started to drop around midnight.  Ran inside on the treadmill with air cleaner cranked up and was lucky to get in 6 miles (we don't have AC and temps were high 80's).  News was predicting slight change in the wind for tonight so hoping things will get better.  Purple air is currently reading 87 AQI. Now, just need to wait for the temp to drop...

Ray

As Bay Areans, we know about microclimates.

It's the same with the smoke; despite what the air quality sites say, you can run into an area of dense smoke for a while, or an area of clearing.

I think the airnow site is a great resource, and if it says high level, I'd cut the planned run short. A few days off or easy never hurt anyone, and probably helped.

Here's a puzzle; do you think time of exposure, or volume of air processed is more important regarding acute or lasting damage?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Hmmm.......

id say volume processed and time of exposure can be equal. Depending on how strenuous the activity..

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks. Yes that’s what I’ve been doing but wondering if i was overreacting. I get up at 5:30am but this morning it had jumped to the 150s from 70 an hr before. Might as well take the week off.

I was luck and went out early. I've run through PLENTY of fires and it's how I remember 150. Typically the smoke is better for running in the morning. A week off isn't a bad thing. If you're training for CIM you're going to have PLENTY of time to keep the miles up. If you're running SF there is still time and it could be a great opportunity to cross train or let the body heal from the work it's been doing.

Time outdoors is more dangerous than volume of air. Just like running a marathon hurts more after than running a 5k. I just make it simple and skip running. Not like I'm getting paid to do this.

edut:

UNHEALTHY air

Everyone else – take any of these steps to reduce your exposure:

• Choose less strenuous activities (like walking instead of running) so you don’t breathe as hard.
                        • Shorten the amount of time you are active outdoors.
                        • Be active outdoors when air quality is better.

Unhealthy to sensitive groups

Everyone else: Enjoy your outdoor activities.

VDOT 53.37 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My experience in running with smoke, if you are going to go, is to make sure cut the effort because it is going to be harder to breathe in.

If it's really smokey, an easy run is preferable over speedwork or another hard workout..

Be safe!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kcam

I ran this morning in Cupertino (6:30AM).and I didn't notice or smell anything in the air.  Airnow says it was about 150 hen.  At 10AM I stepped outside and was amazed by how bad the air was!  Would not have run in that.  Went back in to hunker down in the AC.  Right now airnow says 200 but it's clear as a bell and no smell of smoke.  The bay winds are picking up and clearing it out.  Airniw must have a big time lag.

bhearn

I ran yesterday morning when the AQI was about 250. I used an N99 mask. Maybe not smart, but I gotta get my miles for Spartathlon.

bhearn

Try https://www2.purpleair.com

I ran this morning in Cupertino (6:30AM).and I didn't notice or smell anything in the air.  Airnow says it was about 150 hen.  At 10AM I stepped outside and was amazed by how bad the air was!  Would not have run in that.  Went back in to hunker down in the AC.  Right now airnow says 200 but it's clear as a bell and no smell of smoke.  The bay winds are picking up and clearing it out.  Airniw must have a big time lag.