pace difference between short and long runs (Read 871 times)

mikeymike

I see how it is, Q. You're mad about how the Sox treated the Tigers over the last 4 days and now you're trying the old, "Will you hold this a second?" trick with your empty. Nice.

Runners run

Excellent revision. Now the important question is can you offer me anything better than a Corona?
      Sorry, I don't drink beer. But I can offer you my favorite libation....Grey Goose vodka martini, up with a twist, shaken, not stirred.

Think Whirled Peas

I see how it is, Q. You're mad about how the Sox treated the Tigers over the last 4 days and now you're trying the old, "Will you hold this a second?" trick with your empty. Nice.
        Two words for you: Kevin m%$&R$King Youkilis. Sheesh.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Scout7

Nice call on the Yuengling.
          evtish

What's a good pace difference between short and long runs. )?
            Look at Mcmillan's suggestions. Makes sense to me. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
              It's not short and long runs. Easy runs can be short or long, as can quality work. Most of your runs, short and long, should be easy, and probably about the same pace.
              Thanks for the advice (and beers, I'll steal a swig Smile thx. I'm a MGD girl in general, but also like to order stella just even to say the name --- stellllaaaaaa!) I don't think I've really understood what constitutes a "quality" run. And, as I read through the comments, I realize that I don't have a clear goal. Confused I was thinking targeting to 10k's, but the allure of running a successful marathon (a time that correlates to that darn calculator...grrrrr) won't go away. I'm signed up for a half in Aug and want to do a few 10k's in between. So, maybe this should be my goal. Faster. (Jim24315, there's a Stadium to Stadium 10k in July. Our tipsy Mayor will be there.) Since I like to run at lunch time, making them short and fast (does that make it a quality run?) fits in better with my schedule. Then I'll mosey out longer weekend runs (12 or so). I should probably race a 10k sooner to help baseline my current pace and then target 1 - 2 min / mi slower. Haven't done one in 2 yrs. yikes. (I have a HRM but honestly don't know my max HR or really know what to do with the numbers that are reported. I have figured out that I don't have good aerobic capacity though, since I can't get my HR below ~145 or so.) I'm not much of an interval or track work out person., and while I've been running for a while, it's been almost exclusively just runs. Maybe time for something different. TGIF!!!!

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

Since I like to run at lunch time, making them short and fast (does that make it a quality run?) fits in better with my schedule. Then I'll mosey out longer weekend runs (12 or so). I should probably race a 10k sooner to help baseline my current pace and then target 1 - 2 min / mi slower. Haven't done one in 2 yrs. yikes. (I have a HRM but honestly don't know my max HR or really know what to do with the numbers that are reported. I have figured out that I don't have good aerobic capacity though, since I can't get my HR below ~145 or so.) I'm not much of an interval or track work out person., and while I've been running for a while, it's been almost exclusively just runs. Maybe time for something different.
                Don't make those lunchtime runs short and fast except once maybe twice a week. Make them short and slow. I don't know a whole lot about the HR thing, but looking through your log quickly, you seem to take a lot of days off. Making a short run slower and adding another short easy run in place of a day off is the best thing to do.
                  Don't make those lunchtime runs short and fast except once maybe twice a week. Make them short and slow. I don't know a whole lot about the HR thing, but looking through your log quickly, you seem to take a lot of days off. Making a short run slower and adding another short easy run in place of a day off is the best thing to do.
                  Thanks. Yeah, my running these past weeks has been spotty. It's been a drag; too many meetings Angry Hopefully that will end after next week. hope hope hope. On good weeks, I get in 4 lunch runs. on a happy note, my run this morning was great. or at least it felt great.

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin