Post Marathon Blues - What motivates you? (Read 811 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Anyone else ever have a bad marathon and just sort of start to lose interest in running? I am sort of in that stage right now. I am trying to get out of it but I am still so disappointed in my last marathon. I've decided that I am going to do the flying pig marathon in May but keep wondering why in the world do we torture ourselves like this? What is wrong with us? I understand one marathon but why do we do it again? You work so hard for at least 5 months to get ready and if it is not your day or the weather is bad you don't get the results on race day. I am sure a lot of Chicago Marathon runnners must have this feeling right Confused Anyway, what motivates you guys to run?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    PWL

Has been

I'm in the same boat. My October marathon suuuuucked, so I'm having trouble getting motivated to run at all (7 mile weeks rock!). I don't plan on doing another marathon until probably May. I am signing up for a February 10-miler and hope that gets my juices flowing again. I'm not worrying too much about it, I'm just going to lay low and wait for it to come back. Good luck!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Especially with beginning marathoners, I see people with that kind of viewpoint after a race; but as soon as they forget exactly how much it hurt, they start getting excited about the next race. I get around the problem by never having one goal race or one running goal to accomplish. There's always something new around the corner to keep things fresh and to work towards. (you might want to read Focus, Goals, and lack thereof) As for what specifically motivates me, I'm competitive. The thought of losing is almost painful to me. Unfortunately, I lose a lot. That just makes me work harder.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm in the same boat. My October marathon suuuuucked, so I'm having trouble getting motivated to run at all (7 mile weeks rock!). I don't plan on doing another marathon until probably May. I am signing up for a February 10-miler and hope that gets my juices flowing again. I'm not worrying too much about it, I'm just going to lay low and wait for it to come back. Good luck!
          Have you run the Mid-Winter Classic before? Do what I do - take a month to cross train and not run at all. It works wonders for refreshing both your body and your mind. And if you are diligent about cross training, then you won't lose a whole lot in the way of fitness.

Run to Win

mikeymike

Anyway, what motivates you guys to run?
            On some level, you have to love running for running's sake. There has to be some pleasure or satisfaction derived from each daily run, totally separate from the external goal. If it's torture, don't do it. I had a bitter disappointment at the 2004 Boston Marathon when temps were in the mid-80's and I melted down and wound up in the med tent. I was crushed. I had been in by far the best shape of my life and put so much into that one day you can't imagine. I had some good races in the weeks after that and kept running most of the summer, but when I started to gear up for a fall marathon--it was supposed to be Cape Cod--I just said , "screw it." I didn't have the motivation for it. I basically stopped running for almost 2 years after that. Eventually, about a year and a half ago now, I missed it enough to start running again. At first with no racing goals--only the goal of becoming a runner again. I've recently run my first "post-comeback" marathon and I did train hard for it but I never let it become my be-all and end-all. I love to race but I make sure to enjoy the training almost as much and let the races be a special treat--the cherry on top if you will. I don't worry too much about the external goal times because I know they will come if I put in the work. There are good races and bad races but I don't worry about it. I try to be realistic about what I can expect from the training I'm willing to put in and I try, always, to appreciate how far I've come since that day on Memorial Day weekend in 2006 when the bell went off in my my head and I knew that I needed to start running again. I was a runner, and runners run. Not to sound like a cheezy Nike commercial or something, but you need to find the love. If you don't have it, maybe May is too soon for your next marathon. Maybe just run when you feel like it for a while and wait until you're champing at the bit to run your next marathon.

Runners run

I think having a plan in place helps, at least it did for this creature of habit. I followed Galloway's low mileage "To Finish" program religiously, it's only three days a week so I didn't skip a single run. I had only copied the schedule to my calendar as far as the race, and was rather surprised to find a 45 minute run scheduled two days after. Another 45 minute run two days later, and a ten miler one week after the marathon. If these runs weren't on the schedule, I know I wouldn't have done them. I don't know what the hell he's thinking (imprinting the distance on your muscles?), but he has a fifteen miler this Sunday and a twenty miler on the next Sunday. He's obviously a lot smarter than I am, and he hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'll go out and run 'em (God willing). I talk to myself (a lot). I bitch myself out for being lazy. I tell myself I've done this before, I know I can do it again. Mentally, I break runs up into segments (after mile 7 I'm loving life as a flatlander...one more lap and today's heavy lifting is done....) The advice I've gotten on this site is absolutely priceless, but what works for one may not work for another. You've put in a lot of miles Bearcat, so I know they haven't all been easy. When you had to dig deep, what worked for you? What was the last run that you just LOVED? Was it the easy pace? A short but intense run? The route? A running companion? Go back to something that put a smile on your face. If you have to self-administer a mild kick in the ass that's fine. If you're really equating it with torture, I'd go with PWL's recommendation to lay low for a while. Modified to add: I started this before Mikey's post, but then I had to work at work. Distressing to say the least. You can pretty much reduce my post to "what Mikey said".

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

PWL

Has been

Have you run the Mid-Winter Classic before?
                I have not, but I really didn't think I could make it from the Turkey Trot this weekend all the way to May without running a race. I love running in the cold so it seemed like the best option. I have pretty much been taking the 2nd half of October, 1st half of November off. I'm going to run the Turkey Trot with a friend of mine (1st time racer) just for fun. I'm hoping to ramp training back up after Thanksgiving.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I have not, but I really didn't think I could make it from the Turkey Trot this weekend all the way to May without running a race. I love running in the cold so it seemed like the best option. I have pretty much been taking the 2nd half of October, 1st half of November off. I'm going to run the Turkey Trot with a friend of mine (1st time racer) just for fun. I'm hoping to ramp training back up after Thanksgiving.
                  I've run once since the Marine Corps Marathon. I was originally going to go down to Boston for the New England cross country meet and cheer on my teammates, but I'm not willing to drive myself down and I haven't been in the loop for rides. So unless somebody emails me back by tomorrow I'll probably be volunteering at the turkey trot. One of the women that runs it was trying to recruit me when I volunteered this week at the Patriots Day make-up race. I'll be wearing a black Run to Win wind breaker if I go that has my name on the right breast. No idea what they'd have me doing so I can't tell you where I'd be; they put me on traffic duty on Monday before the race and Finish Line duty during the race.

Run to Win

My only marathon, while not necessarily "bad," was far more painful than any of my long training runs leading up to the event. I wanted to run again once I had recovered; however, my problem has always been that I am a fair weather runner. Staying motivated during the wet, dark days of winter is tough for me. Last winter I signed up for a half marathon early in the season, hoping that would get me out there, and for the most part it did, but it was still too easy to take training days off for this, that or the other. This fall when the weather started to change, in part because I wanted to make a difference and selfishly in part because I wanted to be motivated to run throughout the year, I put together a fund raiser that required me to run consistently year round to reach the goal. So far so good. I have already run deeper into the dark months than ever before. I somehow justify my selfish motives with the idea that I am indeed raising money for a great cause.
                    Chris