Endurance Athlete (Read 862 times)

4:50, ~48 hours,  5:53,   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, I was gonna post this, but you did it so much more eloquently.

So, are any marathon or ultra runners up to the fitness levels of these guys?

L Train

I am pretty sure he could dunk on Djokovic, maybe like 3 times.  Then he'd be lying flat.   

Yeah, I was gonna post this, but you did it so much more eloquently.

So, are any marathon or ultra runners up to the fitness levels of these guys?

I think it is a different type of endurance.  The ability to continue to stop, go, serve hard and return hard. I saw the last few sets with Murray.  The concentration, even that late into the match, was mind-boggling. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, we runners can be mind-bogglingly stupid at the end of a long run.

Anything past 16 miles and I'm a slap-happy idiot who's lost the ability to do much other than run, drink water, and open Gu.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Anything past 16 miles and I'm a slap-happy idiot who's lost the ability to do much other than run, drink water, and open Gu.

Your training this year is gangster.  

You'll ruin your knees!

... some are mind-boggingly stupid at the START of a run...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I didn't want to say that...

TdF cyclists - 3 weeks, 6~8 hours a day at crazy speeds and some real killer climbs. Couple of "rest" days - when most of them do a few easy hours just to keep their legs ticking over.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

To put my original question another way, do you think these tennis players/bb players/cyclists could run an awesome marathon?

To put my original question another way, do you think these tennis players/bb players/cyclists could run an awesome marathon?

If they trained properly for a marathon, I think most any elite tennis player, baller, or cyclist could bust out a BQ, maybe even a sub 3 hr marathon.  They have the physiological make up and the mental fortitude necessary to invest in a little pain for 3 hours.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Say they didn't train specifically for the marathon, but just got fitted with running shoes and went for it?

maybe even a sub 3 hr marathon.  

I dont think an elite athlete would have much trouble breaking 3. 

And we run because we like it
                                Through the broad bright land