Hi - new here, returning runner (Read 625 times)

I just wanted to say that I've always enjoyed running as a way to stay in shape but could never stick with it for a long period of time. I ran cross country 1 year, ran track 5 years and played football for 2 years while in high school. I think I never stuck with running before because I wasn't very good at it and I would get winded so easily. So that was about 15 years ago. I'd run occasionally and lift occasionally, but nothing serious and nothing to keep me motivated. I've decided that I really want to be in shape. My last few 5K's (3 last year and about 3 in the last 10 - 12 years before that) were right around 30 min. which is what I expected and right about where it was back in high school. I actually got to 28 once last year. So I'm really going to start running consistently (sp) and constantly faster/longer as often as I can. I will start running at least 2 - 3 5K races as soon as possible. Hopefully I willl try my first 10K at the Columbus marathon this fall. 1rst marathon 2 years from now.Wink I would absolutely love to finish a triathlon but of course I'm horrible at swimming. I just hope I'm not being a little too optimistic here. I don't have a question and I've never posted to any forums but twice before so I guess I just wanted to let you know I'm here and see what kind of comments anyone has. Anyone else in a similar running situation? Run in the same area? SW OH. Any training tips? Thanks. Bryan
      So I'm really going to start running consistently (sp) and constantly faster/longer as often as I can. I will start running at least 2 - 3 5K races as soon as possible.
      Hey Bryan, the consistently part of your statement is bang on. I hope by constantly faster/longer you don't mean every time out you intend to go further or faster than the day before. If you do, don't try it, that amounts to racing everyday, which will end in disaster. Nobody races everyday, even if it is against yourself, a race is a race. If you race hard once a month that is plenty. Just run easy everyday and you will get faster eventually.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Optimistic? The majority of your post concentrates on how poorly you've run in the past, both in high school and in recent races. Why not take up running for the enjoyment and health benefits? Make your goal long term running rather than worry about how fast you are. Welcome aboard. There are runners of all abilities here and you'll fit in just fine. Tom
          The good thing about returning to running is it will always be there for you. Along the lines of Figbash, it may be easier, and more enjoyable, to just run if you don't worry about how "good" you are. Define "good" and goals for yourself and you should be fine. You don't have to compete, as in hs CC, against anyone but yourself when you run races now. You may find it easier to be more dedicated then, too. Also, work on some early consistency, be it every other day, 3X, 4X or whatever a week. Once those miles start adding up, you'll get an "I did it/I can do it" factor that will help you along.
            Welcome aboard! Take it easy on yourself and try not to set too many goals too early, just my advice. I have been running for 18 months now, but no plans for marathons yet! I also ran cross country in high school, but it was a lot more than 15 years ago; the earth was colder then so we wore animal skins and carried big sticks to fight off woolly mammoths. You youngsters have it too easy today! simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

The Greatest of All Time

I would absolutely love to finish a triathlon but of course I'm horrible at swimming.
              It gets better. Trust me. Welcome!
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                What they said. Go slow. Enjoy the process. Glad you're here!