Why isn't it getting better? (Read 910 times)

satt

I've been struggling with a groin pull for nearly three weeks now. I took almost two weeks off, went running, found it was sore, and took another couple days off. The pain was gone, I could walk normally, move normally, save for a bit of tightness when I moved certain ways. I went for a run today, and it was a little sore, but otherwise alright. But now, as I'm sitting here after my run, it's pretty sore, but not as badly as when I first injured it. I've been icing it. Does this mean I need to take even more time off from running? Indoor track starts tomorrow, and I'm going to be really upset if I need to take time off...can I run even if it's sore?

A wise man once said to me "so you're going to start marathon training with that?".  You get to decide.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Ostrich runner

Three weeks is a long time to sit on the internet pulling at your groin.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yes.  Groin pulls are nasty little things.  I learned the hard way.  Take another two weeks off and thank me later when you're not stuck dealing with this in another 6 months.

Running is dumb.

Sounds to me like it is getting better but just not at the speed you prefer.  I have the same problem.  I'll get injured and wonder why it isn't getting better.  Then I realize it is in fact getting better, but it isn't entirely fixed.  Be patient with your body.  It is amazing our bodies can heal themselves in the first place, really.  If it wasn't showing any improvement, then you should be really really worried.  Sounds like you are improving.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Feeling the growl again

I've been struggling with a groin pull for nearly three weeks now. I took almost two weeks off, went running, found it was sore, and took another couple days off. The pain was gone, I could walk normally, move normally, save for a bit of tightness when I moved certain ways. I went for a run today, and it was a little sore, but otherwise alright. But now, as I'm sitting here after my run, it's pretty sore, but not as badly as when I first injured it. I've been icing it. Does this mean I need to take even more time off from running? Indoor track starts tomorrow, and I'm going to be really upset if I need to take time off...can I run even if it's sore?

Depends what it is.  I've been more or less running through groin pain/sports hernia/pelvic implosion for a year now, with only a couple weeks off once or twice.  At some point you need to decide if time off will solve it, or if you need to suck it up and train until it gets stronger and quits hurting.  Unfortunately, nobody on the internet can understand your issue well enough to tell you which is the better course.

Training hurts.  Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.  Sometimes it is a serious injury, sometimes it is time to put on your big girl panties and get serious.  The trick is knowing which is which.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrNamtor

Never had a groin injury but my understanding is they can be very very slow to heal. Athletes can often miss an entire season due to these. If it were me, I'd listen to the wise advice to rest a bit longer.

satt

well now I'm worried its a stress fracture...the pain goes down my thigh and is a dull soreness. am I just overreacting?

Ostrich runner

well now I'm worried its a stress fracture...the pain goes down my thigh and is a dull soreness. am I just overreacting?

Yep. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Depends what it is.  I've been more or less running through groin pain/sports hernia/pelvic implosion for a year now, with only a couple weeks off once or twice.  At some point you need to decide if time off will solve it, or if you need to suck it up and train until it gets stronger and quits hurting.  Unfortunately, nobody on the internet can understand your issue well enough to tell you which is the better course.

Training hurts.  Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.  Sometimes it is a serious injury, sometimes it is time to put on your big girl panties and get serious.  The trick is knowing which is which.

This is actually very, very good advice. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                      • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                      • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

#artbydmcbride

I would give one of my virtual healing hugs to your groin....but I'm afraid you may be underage    Joking

Runners run

satt

does dull pain in my thigh mean its getting better or is it indicative of something worse? also, I'm of age lol.
                          MrNamtor

did you say you were going to see a doctor soon? Might not be a bad idea bc i don't think anyone here is qualified to diagnose you over the internet.

#artbydmcbride

{{satt's groin}}

Runners run

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I would give one of my virtual healing hugs to your groin....but I'm afraid you may be underage    Joking

I am of age and would take healing hugs for my groin.  Blush

Running is dumb.