Headlamp (Read 1877 times)

Am I doing this right?

Sunrise is getting later and later.  I'm finding the start of my run to be either in the dark, or I sit and wait a little longer to let it get a little lighter.  I would like to continue running in the morning, but I'm thinking I'll need a headlamp of some sort.  For those of you with experience, which headlamp do you like the best?  Are they all about the same?  Can I wear one with a hat/visor?  Stocking hat?  

Basically I'm looking for recommendations on which headlamp I should be looking into getting.  I'm open to any/all suggestions.  

Thanks.

No excuses....

Today was the first time I've used my headlamp in over a year. I do 98% of my runs before the sun is up and don't really like running with the headlamp. The only reason I wore it this morning is because the greenway trail is very dark and I was doing a steady state run and didn't want to trip over anything.

The greenways and golf course are usually the only places where I did use the headlamp. Mine isn't that bright, but enough to see where I'm going. (Friends was significantly brighter, don't know the mfg) edit: mines the cheapy, with watch batteries, thus the not so bright light.

It's lightweight and no trouble to wear. Used it without a hat, with a ball cap style hat and a stocking hat. Didn't realize I'd had this thing since 2008. Just now replaced the batteries.

Get off my porch

Cashmason

Tikka  Petzl.

Lightweight.  You can change it from wide beam medium brightness to narrow beam very bright with the touch of button.

Uses AAA batteries.

It has an elastic band.  Yes you can wear it with a hat/ visor,  or stocking hat.

It is only a couple inches wide  and would easily fit in a pocket after the sun is up,  if you wished to take it off.

I got mine a couple of years ago from REI

Feeling the growl again

I have one very similar to THIS.  It's several years old but also from L.L. Bean. 

Get one that uses AAAs, not watch batteries.  The watch battery ones tend to be dimmer, have poor battery life, and if you use them any amount you'll go through way more money replacing the batteries.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

RunningwithGirls

I got a Black Diamond Spot, that I got early spring for ~$25.  I like it a lot.  It has flood and spot beam with a low, medium and high setting for each.  It also has a strobe beam. I have last year's model, but the newer one is even brighter with a red LED.  It might be a tad bigger than the Petzl, but I don't notice it at all when I run. 

I also have the RoadID Firefly Supernova that I clip to my hat/shirt/shorts/shoes.  I love this for how small it is and its portability.  I also just recently got an Amphipod Visibility Vest from REI.  I have only gotten a couple runs so I can't comment too much.  You can never be too visible.

Awhile back I asked about Knuckle Lights but no one had tried them (no one seemed that fond of the idea either). But you could be the first and report back. Maybe I will break down and get some myself. Even if I don't use them for running they might come in handy (no pun intended) for the next power outage. 

Feeling the growl again

Awhile back I asked about Knuckle Lights 

I think those would make me sick.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

A Saucy Wench

I like my Petzl.  I had a clip on one that I liked even better but it was too fragile. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The King of Beasts

Tikka  Petzl. 

same here.

also I have a 1 AA gerber brand flashlight that I like as well.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

I also just recently got an Amphipod Visibility Vest from REI.  I have only gotten a couple runs so I can't comment too much.  You can never be too visible.

Stopped wearing a vest many years ago. Seemed to me cars where more drawn to the reflection and would drift closer to me. And then the one clown who thought it would be funny to swerve directly at me. (jumped in the ditch)

Get off my porch

Feeling the growl again

Stopped wearing a vest many years ago. Seemed to me cars where more drawn to the reflection and would drift closer to me. And then the one clown who thought it would be funny to swerve directly at me. (jumped in the ditch)

People do that to me even without the vest.  Must be my rugged good looks.

The shirtless wonder

I own a Petzel Tika as well (or maybe the tika plus?).  Regardless, they work well and are comfortable.  You might also consider buying some flashing LED packs.  I always have my mp3 player with me so I put one LED pack on the front of my arm and one on the back.  I set the LEDs to use a strobe effect.  

In the winter it's great.  I truly am a super hero: flashing lights, tights, flying, and a cape.  Or at least I think I'd fly if I actually wore a cape but I'm a little scared to try.

Kalsarikännit

I got a Black Diamond Spot,

I had a Black Diamond Cosmo for years (which I really liked), but after I left it at a race I upgraded to the brighter Spot.  It is pretty good, but can get a little uncomfortable after 2-3 hours.  (I also didn't realize that it burned through batteries much faster than the Cosmo until I was stuck in the middle of a race in the Ozarks with no light).  Don't worry about needing a light with a strap that goes over the head.  Even when running, the strap around the head works just fine.

If I get behind a runner that is using a handheld light I get brutally nauseous. If those knuckle lights take off I'm going to be in deep you-know-what when trying to race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I own a Petzel Tika as well (or maybe the tika plus?).  Regardless, they work well and are comfortable.  You might also consider buying some flashing LED packs.  I always have my mp3 player with me so I put one LED pack on the front of my arm and one on the back.  I set the LEDs to use a strobe effect.  

In the winter it's great.  I truly am a super hero: flashing lights, tights, flying, and a cape.  Or at least I think I'd fly if I actually wore a cape but I'm a little scared to try.

I've got the white headlamp in front and a flashing red LED in back.  Just like a vehicle.

I think those would make me sick.

Yes, I was thinking they would make me feel sick too.