Excuses, excuses... what are yours? (Read 632 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Got any good or funny racing excuses about why your time isn't what you'd like it to be? I remember a bunch of them earlier under a race results section. Let's make a thread on it so we can all add to them. My most recent one: I'd only gotten 2 hrs of sleep in the last 36... From Trent: "I was pacing somebody so I didn't run all out." "I have a marathon in 4 days..." What are yours?

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

From Trent's earlier thread: "My top 10 Grandma's Marathon excuses- 10. It was more uncomfortable than the hottest marathon I have run, with 100% humidity and fog and sun, all at the same time 9. There were no Moon Pies or RC Cola at the end, so why hurry 8. The 3:40 pace group leader went out at 8:10s 7. Their sports drink is Ultima 6. My Garmin lost signal at mile 22 5. The 3:50 pace group passed me at mile 18 4. I like anagrams, and 3:40 is an anagram of 4:03 3. If I finished too fast, I might have made other runners feel bad 2. I forgot to drink a beer at mile 21, right before Lemondrop Hill 1. 4:03 is still better than last year's time by more than 1 m/m"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For yesterday my excuses would have been "it was too warm/humid/windy and I just ran my longest run ever 2 days before." Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I got to the starting line and realized I had on an old pair of running shoes, and didn't want to risk injuring myself by running too fast in worn out shoes. Besides, this was really just a fast training run anyway for the race I really want to run. And, if you think about it, by not running too fast I get more value per mile out of my entrance fee--yes, my cost-per-minute running is less than for the person that actually won the race. And hey--I'm all about value.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          vicentefrijole

And, if you think about it, by not running too fast I get more value per mile out of my entrance fee--yes, my cost-per-minute running is less than for the person that actually won the race. And hey--I'm all about value.
            I like that one! Wink How about "a bird crapped on me while I was running"? I've used that one before...

You'll ruin your knees!

I got hit by a car once, so I cut my run short and returned home Black eye

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I'm gonna jinx myself but...I've run better than expected in all my races this past year. Blush oooooh, I'm so gonnna regret saying that out loud. Dead but my daily run excuses are... the wind too cold too hot my shoe came untied I stopped to help an old lady who fell and couldn't get up (no, really I did! LOL)

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, does traffic count?! I HATE having to stop for cars--I think I should have the right-of-way at ALL times! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

My daily run excuses lately have been: "its too hot." I ran today because it was a cool 79 degrees, and even then, it was hot! -Kris
                    -Kris

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." --Albert Einstein
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hear that, Kris. It's relatively cool, today...but 80 and humid is still icky. I am really looking forward to Fall weather and low humidity! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

The 80% + humidity's definitely been a factor for me recently. But can I still count it if I decide to run inside on the TM and with the AC?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, Kris has a pretty kitty, too...what's her name?! Does she like hunting wabbits? Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

oooh! [sniff] [sniff] Hi. I'm Sweetie. What's your name?

My excuse for my first 25K (though I did run it faster than I thought I would, I just came in 4,079th!!) was that I only drove an hour to get there & if I won, I'd take the prize from the nice folks that came all the way from places like Kenya. It just isn't good hospitality to be a prize hog like that when you are a local, right?? And glad your pretty kitty could join us, Kris! This is Anya & Frango. Don't be afraid, kitty, Anya loves to love kitties!!
                              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3