Pain top of foot versus Laces (Read 2449 times)

I used to sprain my ankle a lot as a child and it wasn't until highschool that a scan actually showed years of healed of fractures that I had never been diagnosed for. Giving that history I am extremely paranoid and careful about my feet. I also got laid off a while ago and don't have health insurance which makes me a little more cautious. The problem, my foot hurts on the top near the crest. It isn't horrible. It stops when I am running sometimes, other times it hits halfway through my run. My foot also hurts periodically through the day as well. I feel like it may be my laces. I had been using a heal lock lacing and even with lots of wiggling it just felt tight over the top. That said, giving my past I am paranoid. So, yesterday I just stopped using the heel lock and wonder how long I should wait to know if that was the issue.
    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
    db7

I have had that problem recently. It started a couple of days after my Oct marathon. No pain during the race. Long story short, I started running with my laces VERY loose. This helped for the most part. I still have pain from time to time. I think it was probably ligament strain. I do ice as needed and so far am having no more serious problems. Don't know if this helps or not. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

There is a lacing tip for top of foot pain at http://newbalance.com/techcenter/#/lacing/, don't know if skipping eyelets will help but it may be worth a try. Best of luck to you.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tight lacing will not prevent an ankle injury since running shoes do not support the ankle. In fact, tight lacing may increase your chances of an ankle injury because any twist your shoe takes will pull your foot with it if the laces are tight. Tight laces will also hurt the top of your foot, as you have experienced.
            Tight lacing will not prevent an ankle injury since running shoes do not support the ankle. In fact, tight lacing may increase your chances of an ankle injury because any twist your shoe takes will pull your foot with it if the laces are tight. Tight laces will also hurt the top of your foot, as you have experienced.
            I was lacing tight because my heels are too skinny for even the skinniest heels shoes *grumbles* but that heel lock lacing has got to go skinny heel or no. I wrapped my foot in a ace bandage all day yesterday and ran with super lose laces on Sunday and it already is starting to feel better. Not perfect but much better. I'll try skipping the eyelet for a bit. I wonder if my foot is bruised inside or something.
              There is a lacing tip for top of foot pain at http://newbalance.com/techcenter/#/lacing/, don't know if skipping eyelets will help but it may be worth a try. Best of luck to you.
              THANKS!
              waddlerunner

I was just experiencing the same problem after running the Chicago and then the Marine Corps Marathons.  I am running the Richmond this coming week and made sure it was not a stress fracture.  The website was very helpful.  Thank you.

Cool Jump Suit

Would my laces too tight have anything to do with numbness (falling asleep) of my foot during a run?  It has happened on two consecutive runs now, on the second run I tried to adjust the laces, but still happened??  Never happened before, so after the second time I am scratching my head..

So bittersweet,
                  This tragedy
                  Won't ask for absolution;
                  This melody,
                  Inside of me,
                  Still searches for solution.
                  A twist of faith,
                  A change of heart
                  Cures my infatuation.
                  A broken heart, 
                  Provides the spark
                  For my determination.