10:45min mile, mcmillan says 13-14min 'easy runs' (Read 74 times)

fungames

I am a returning runner after 10 years of not being active. I use to run just under 20min for 5k. I've recently run a 10:45min mile and mcmillan says my easy runs should be 13-14min, Is this correct? I feel like I'll never improve if I am running this slow. Will I improve if I run this slow? Should I stick to the calculator throughout my training or should I push myself until I plateau and then use the calculator?

an amazing likeness

Run by effort, rather than pace; an "easy" run is an effort measure...and on different days it will yield different paces.  As a generalization, an easy pace is one that is comfortable and you could hold a conversation with someone running with you without gasping for breath.

To build pace you need to run miles and build a base of running fitness.  To do that, you need to not be injured. That's the purpose of the easy pace.

I recommend you focus on your perceived effort of the workout rather than a target pace...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1

My target pace (13:00) is not easy at present. I am taking what body will give on any given day. I am gradually building my base from 75 % walking to 90% running without getting injured.

Run by effort, rather than pace; an "easy" run is an effort measure...and on different days it will yield different paces.  As a generalization, an easy pace is one that is comfortable and you could hold a conversation with someone running with you without gasping for breath.

To build pace you need to run miles and build a base of running fitness.  To do that, you need to not be injured. That's the purpose of the easy pace.

I recommend you focus on your perceived effort of the workout rather than a target pace...

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Berch1997

I am a returning runner after 10 years of not being active. I use to run just under 20min for 5k terraria. I've recently run a 10:45min mile and mcmillan says my easy runs should be 13-14min, Is this correct? I feel like I'll never improve if I am running this slow. Will I improve if I run this slow? Should I stick to the calculator throughout my training or should I push myself until I plateau and then use the calculator?

Congratulations on returning to running! It's great that you're getting back into a healthy habit after a break. It is actually normal to have slower paces when returning to running after a long break. It takes time for your body to readjust and for your fitness level to improve. So, running at a slower pace can be a good way to build up your endurance and avoid injury as you get back into running. You should adjust your training based on how your body is responding to the workouts.

If you feel like you're not making progress, you could try adding some interval training or hill workouts to your training routine. These workouts can help to improve your speed and endurance.