Pain in right leg (Read 1423 times)

I've just started back running after a few weeks of taking a break and occasionally running. This past Sunday I started having a pain that started at the top outside of my right leg (about where it connects at hip) and go down the side of my leg to the top of my knee. I was standing around after church when it hit and it almost felt like my knee gave out. The pain just comes in spurts while walking or standing. During my run on Sunday, the right leg pain did not start, but I started feeling pain in my right knee. It happened again this morning as I was walking out to the mailbox. As I was walking, it hit all of a sudden. I notice if I push my hip out like I am stretching my IT band it causes that pain down leg and top of knee.   Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Could it be IT Band that is tight?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

When it hurts, if you do stretch # 3, and the pain goes away, it's probably the IT band

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

Jeff

Thanks! I will try that.

I've just started back running after a few weeks of taking a break and occasionally running. This past Sunday I started having a pain that started at the top outside of my right leg (about where it connects at hip) and go down the side of my leg to the top of my knee. I was standing around after church when it hit and it almost felt like my knee gave out. The pain just comes in spurts while walking or standing. During my run on Sunday, the right leg pain did not start, but I started feeling pain in my right knee. It happened again this morning as I was walking out to the mailbox. As I was walking, it hit all of a sudden. I notice if I push my hip out like I am stretching my IT band it causes that pain down leg and top of knee.   Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Could it be IT Band that is tight?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Mary:

You really need to properly diagnose your problem and, to do that, the best thing is to actually see a professional.  On-line message board is great because (1) you get some people who might have had the same problem and (2) it's free.  Two of the main problems are; (1) the poster not identifying the problem accurately, and (2) some enthusiastic "helper" trying to offer a solution with half-understanding. 

As much as I agree that it does sound like ITBS (and no way I'm criticising the above poster for (2) above), one thing that you commented ("...like my knee gave out...") raised to me a flag for sciatica.  I had that years ago and "my knee giving out" is exactly how I explained it.  Also your describing as "pain shooting down..." also reminds me of sciatica though mine literally shot down to my foot. 

If you do a gentle stretching to the side of your leg and it eases the pain, it could be ITB.  If you do a gentle stretchign on your glute (butt) and the pain eases, it could be sciatica.  Depending on how YOU describe the pain, these two could have fairly similar symptoms.

Feeling the growl again

.  Depending on how YOU describe the pain, these two could have fairly similar symptoms.

+1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mary:

You really need to properly diagnose your problem and, to do that, the best thing is to actually see a professional.  On-line message board is great because (1) you get some people who might have had the same problem and (2) it's free.  Two of the main problems

Nobby is wise.

Sciatic is really odd.  There can be all sorts of whacko symptoms.

I had it at one point and my left foot got numb, to the point where it would almost drag.  I couldn't bend my foot up toward my shin.  It didn't hurt, it just didn't work.

And, yes, when I had it, it started at my butt, and the pain actually wrapped around to the front of my leg, then down to my foot.

Jeff