Completely new to running - need some motivation and advice (Read 140 times)

SKT

Is this a flat run at an elevation of 202m or a hilly run with 202m of gain over the run?

If it is a hilly course, your times are already decent (especially if you are female), certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.  You'll be a lot faster on a flat course.

Here is the profile. I did not calibrate the watch before the run, but the difference between the highest and lowest point is 202 m.

I'm male, by the way.

SKT

Sorry, I was wrong. The difference between highest and lowest is only 120 m, so 202 m is the total climb.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If you have 2 small kids then 3 runs a week is enough .

Work up to 2 hour runs and 1 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour run

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Would you suggest going for shorter runs more often or fewer longer ones? I feel that I need to build up some sort of base before running 4 times a week is profitable...unless I go for short easy runs.

I would suggest starting with the number of days per week that you eventually want to do regularly so it immediately becomes part of your routine. At least half of those runs should be short and easy. The others can vary the distances and pace. As you gain fitness you can increase the distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

On the road in MN

Great job for getting out there - pushing the distance - strong effort.

I think alot of recreational runners go out for 4-5k runs - so right away you are already able to run 6.6k - good effort!  I imagine you were in rough shape the next couple days?   

based on your average heart rate and maximum it looks like you were definitely pushing it.  I would just focus on running as slow as you can for many of your runs - maybe run some shorter runs in (3-5k) don't hesitate to throw in some brisk walking to extend your time out there.  If you can run slower (a pace you can talk to yourself or a partner) you'll be able to run more often and farther.

good luck!

5k: 19:29  Oct'17      26.2:  4:03 Oct'15  3:22 Grandmas June'17       Upcoming: Grandmas Marathon June'18 

SKT

Great job for getting out there - pushing the distance - strong effort.

I think alot of recreational runners go out for 4-5k runs - so right away you are already able to run 6.6k - good effort!  I imagine you were in rough shape the next couple days?   

I felt it, but it wasn't too bad. I was able to run again on saturday...with my youngest daughter in a stroller.

Distance: 5,24 km

Total climb: 140 m

Time: 40:15

I skipped the heart rate sensor, but stayed within a "talking pace" and it felt great compared to my first run. Tomorrow it's time again, and I think I'll try something similar.

SKT

If someone is interested, here is a small update on my progress.

I have not been running as much as I planned. Mostly due to laziness, but I am really trying to change and I think something is changing. Today I ran the same round as my first run, and I actually enjoyed it. The time was way better, and I felt like I was running, not dying.

And I can now kinda squeeze in to my old shirts...

My first run:

Distance: 6.65 km

Elevation: 202 m

Time: 44:07

Average bpm: 174

Maximum bpm: 192

Today's run:

Distance: 6.65 km

Elevation: 202 m

Time: 35:03

Average bpm: 171

Maximum bpm: 190

paul2432

Well done sticking with it.  Really happy to hear that your are enjoying it.  That is the most important part.

Today I ran the same round as my first run, and I actually enjoyed it. The time was way better, and I felt like I was running, not dying.

And I can now kinda squeeze in to my old shirts...

Way to go.  It will be easier to keep running now that you are seeing multiple benefits: "actually enjoyed it", "felt like I was running", "squeeze into old shirts", and faster at lower heart rate.

ToughRunnerUK

Hello everyone.

At Tough Runner UK we have some amazing new EVENTS lined up for 2018 and we would love to see you take on the challenge.

- Cardiff Epic Trail 10K
                      - Afan Epic Trail 10k & 5k
                      - Barry Epic Trail 10K
                      - Winter 10 Miles Wales (Afan Forest Park)
                      - Brechfa TRAIL HALF Marathon
                      - Escape to Afan Forest Off-road Duathlon
                      - Buff Wales Trail 10k 2019
                      - HOKA One One Winter Trail Half Marathon 2019

We love to hear which event you are most excited about.
                      Like us on Facebook for more info: www.facebook.com/toughrunneruk

See you there!