Should I quit (Read 194 times)

Diable

Hi everyone

I am a dabbler in running. I run 17.5 km every week/ten days, with other exercise, shorter distances and activities on other days, and might enter an event every now and then. I have done 3 half marathons in as many years- consider there was one year where all events were cancelled- and a few shorter distances. I am not that fast but i don't care.

Six weeks ago I saw a 28 km and decided that would a be a challenge. I worked pretty hard for a recreational runner that is just trying to finish, not win. It was going well.

Then about two and a half weeks ago there was serious drama in our family, which I won't go into. It's ongoing and getting worse. I'm also having other personal problems. I became really anxious and stopped sleeping but managed to block it out enough to still train. I had an minor injury prior but managed to get over that with some medical help and did adjust my training plan to make up some lost time. Just under 3 weeks out I decided I was ready to run my longest distance, as planned. I told myself it would be a challenge but to just do my best. I had been feeling really down and heavy a few days before and felt flat in a couple of shorter or less intense training sessions. However, I figured once I started  would manage. It was a disaster. I was so slow and my body felt so heavy and I just had none of the tenacity or physical strength needed. I quit at 13 km in tears. I tried to keep going but just couldn't. I had run  24 km just over week earlier- public holidays put things out of wack-  with no major issues and done other training. I have my ups and downs with running when I train for an event and i get there are good days and bad days, but I actually hated every moment of that run. I knew I had to stop so I didn't hate it forever. I also knew  I would never finish.

I have tried to train since this week but either can't start the workout, even if it's not running and just to get my heart rate up, or quit halfway through before I get any form of huff and puff. The event is 2 weeks away and I don't know if I should quit, having missed an entire week of training or doing any cardio or even a basic workout. I will be disappointed to pull out but I don't know if I will be fit enough or if I will have gotten any form of mojo back either before for completing training or during the event. I'll be sad if I quit before when I could make it and sad if I cant make it on the day. Is it unrealistic to try and attempt it? I've missed one of the most important weeks of training. Should I keep trying to push myself through training or just quit now? WHen is the latest to make a decision? I'm not that interested in entering a shorter distance as I've run that distance and more at that very venue; but for free. Not exciting.  I also have to cancel my post-event celebrations due to covid at the moment, with sick relatives and all to consider so I feel that's going to dampen the excitement/motivation

Maybe the race director will let you apply your entry fee to a future race they are putting on.

If you don't want to do the race, don't. You've already talked yourself into it being a chore you HAVE to do rather than an adventure you GET to do.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

an amazing likeness

Based on all you've written here...yes, you should pull out now and reset your plans. Here's what I read from your story...

-you generally run ~17km (10mi) in a week

-you're trying to turn that level of training into a 28km (~18mi) run, so nearly 2x your normal weekly load

-you're not feeling well, and under significant stress and have been unable to sustain your normal training

Given those, it seems very unlikely you'd have an enjoyable day running your 28km.  Why go through that experience, given that you seem to not be in a good space right now?

The advice I'd offer you is to just stop anything structured. Make it simple. Just go out for a 60min each day...walk some, run some, sit on a bench, skip to your lu...whatever fits the day you're having. Enjoy being outside; smelling the smells, seeing the sun and clouds, be mindful and aware of surroundings and the gifts of the day.

When you're ready, turn that 60min into training and start building back up. Give yourself time to rebound....good luck.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

Sorry you are going through things. You should not be doing that real long event since overall you are undertrained and not at all confident. You need a refocus on your training if you want to do this long term and need 6 months + to build your fitness and miles and this will include slow paced miles and walk breaks. You need to build up to a minimum 20 miles (35K) a week to develop an adequate base of fitness and to compete in endurance events with confidence. You build confidence with increased fitness. Happy to send you a structured beginner type program if interested.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

nguyentra3493

spam
            robin from maine

You haven't quit, and you are not quitting. You are regrouping, as we all do from time to time when we're injured, or when life otherwise interferes with our plans.

I agree with those who are saying that you shouldn't plan to run this race. Focus on what helps you feel better day to day without this hanging over you. I suspect that if you're able to stop worrying about it, you will feel better.

All About that Pace 2024

Sorry for your troubles.  Now, without the family issues, entering a nearly 17 mile (28 km) race would entail training.  And more of it.  If I'm training for a HM, I'm going to do a few 15 to 16 mile runs which exceeds the race day mileage but at slower pace. I'm going to hit at least 25 to 30 miles per week.

So, the posts before me make enormous sense.  You are under trained for that length of race and then compounded by energy sucking situations.  I liked the recommendation of unstructured running but some consistent time on your feet just to run and maybe, just maybe, get some positive motivation back.

Good luck.