2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

omr I'm sure the things that bother him will change drastically. My aunt died of cancer and my uncle says a lot stops being important when you watch that. After having a rough 9 months I've realized work doesn't care about me. I'd be replaced just like I replaced someone. Don't feel guilty because I'd be shocked to find out his opinion of you changed somehow if you were in his shoes. I'm sure next semester he will care less about changing kids grades. Bigger things to worry about.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - great race report.  A few comments:

- why do pacers always go out too fast?  WHYWHYWHY.  (I'm guessing it's because the pace group gets nervous if you're not on or under pace....)

- how did you think the two gels worked in the half?  Do you think you ran faster for them?

- as for the placing issue....I'm told that the timing mats record a time not based on when they detect your chip, but when they detect and then no longer detect your chip.  So...if you get to the mat first, but the other runner gets away and out of range from the mat first, the other runner will place ahead.  It's a good reminder to always run through the mat.

RLK - I saw that about the CIM expo.  I feel a bit bad - I have a lot of teammates running this year, and I told them how easy it was to stay downtown and walk to the expo.  I'm hoping they'll offer shuttles from downtown to the expo.  Otherwise, it's a bit rough on people from the other side of the country trying to figure out how to get to an expo that's not in walking distance and not available by public transportation.

OMR - I totally understand the mixed feelings. I'm glad you've got less stress, though.

Ace - Any words of advice for Indy Marathon?

Everyone else.  Indy forecast currently shows 28 degrees at the start, mid-30s at the finish.  Partly cloudy skies; headwind for second half of race.  I'm debating thin tights versus shorts.  Any thoughts?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Brew:  We'll see.  My guess is he is going to retire either this year or after one more year.

Dwave:  Yep, definitely less stress on that front for now.  That's interesting about the timing mats and having to run beyond them.  Regarding the marathon, that's a borderline temperature for me, but at marathon pace, I would probably opt for calf sleeves, warmer compression gear on the top half that cover the thigh, but leave the knee open.  Good luck!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I spent a bit of time being irked at the pacers myself. In retrospect I should have stuck with and drafted off of them. Hopefully the 1:30 HM pacers for Dallas are better - my current plan is to run with them until the half and full courses split.

The two gels were mostly to test taking them at least that quickly in the full. I don't think there were any effects either way from just taking one in a half like I usually do. And it's not that I take a gel thinking I'll bonk during a half if I don't, but rather that I'm trying to trick my brain into not slowing me down out of a self-preserving "don't run out of fuel" limiter.

I absolutely ran through both mats as fast as I could, and didn't stop my watch until after crossing mat #2 (I was a few steps ahead of Red Shorts Guy when crossing that mat). Being one spot up in the results wouldn't have changed anything, and it doesn't bother me, it was just an observation.

I've run the Tulsa Route 66 marathon & half in similar conditions a few times. I've always gone with (somewhat longer) shorts & a singlet, but with an old hat, arm warmers (typically re-purposed, thick tube socks since they're cheap), and gloves I anticipate ditching at a water stop along the way once I warm up.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave I'd agree with your choice to wear tights. 30s is nothing I've ever run a marathon in and my long runs last weekend were both races for everyone else. Most of the racers had shirts and shorts. Dressing to race a 10K vs running near marathon pace for a 20k is different. I have a couple different pairs myself so I might lean towards a "thinner" pair. Something to act as "not quite shorts, but not long run winter layer tights" and had pockets for gels, arm warmers, or anything I don't want to leave on the course. I remember running CIM one year and stashing my gloves early just to pull them out later and a runner commented how he wished he hadn't tossed his. Some photos of the hand layers would be interesting in the recap just to see how you'd remove the layers for a gel then put them back on. I'm expecting you to keep them for a lot of the race. I think you got this. It should be exciting.

omr yeah, a lot of perspective on "what's important" changes with big life events. All of a sudden it becomes important to get his position filled, someone all of a sudden finds it important to point out how they're qualified (after they've said the don't want it) and it's not important to a lot of people to see how their "friend and colleague" is doing 3 months from now. Hopefully you get some good weather for Black Canyons. If you wanted to run Canyons 100K on the WS trail let me know. Since they give out belts (that max left behind) I might be willing to suffer through 64 miles of WS again. 17 or 18 hour cutoff...brutal.

ace how is the TRX coming? Book workout? YouTube workouts? Twice a week? Five times a week? I haven't see anything on strava so it obviously didn't happen.

cim expo Should be interesting to see how it works out. If the venue works well maybe SRA will use it again in the future. Parking and pickup/drop off might be easier than downtown on a Friday or Saturday. The only downside I see is you can't walk there if you stay downtown. If you stay anywhere else you'll need transportation including those who don't ride a bus to the start. I'm glad I'm not a race director. They're underappreciated.

timing mats Always run through both. I've learned that thanks to the people here. It's an extra few feet and there is a reason races have two. How much would it suck to have that PR ruined because you stopped and started walking just to find out your qualifying time was now missed because you walked that 10 feet? I walked the last little bit of a marathon thinking the timing mats were "ceremonial" and not ACTUALLY timing mats. Probably cost me 10 seconds.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all - just to update everyone (cross post for efficiency)

literally got hit by a truck this morning, while on my shakeout jog.  My left side is pretty roughed up, with my left shoulder taking the worst of it.

Have been to the ER and to the Orthopedist.  X-rays don't show anything broken or dislocated, and I passed the neurology check-up.  But I can't really use my left arm right now, to the point where I need help to get dressed or undressed.  I could probably complete a marathon, but I can't run one to my full potential like this, and the ortho is really strongly opposed to me racing a marathon on Saturday.

So....plan right now is to skip Indy Marathon this weekend, and hope I am healed up enough in a week to run the Richmond Marathon.

I am really pissed off.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Ugh, that's horrible, Dwave!  Glad the Xrays don't show anything as broken, but definitely the right move to not race this weekend.

kcam

Jeez DW!   Fortunate it wasn't worse (look on the bright side).  Yeah, I'd 100% bag that marathon.  Get better and please keep us informed on recuperation progress.

I have officially deferred my CIM entry to 2020 so there should be one (1) entry available as of this morning!

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

fuck. i'm so sorry. i really hope you recover quickly, and i hope justice can be served as well.

it is very well studied that SUVs, trucks, and any vehicles which are that much heavier and also have a more blunt + high off the ground front profile (compared to previous generations of smaller cars) kill/injure people on streets at a 2-3x higher rate. it is policy failure and also individuals' moral failure that these killers are left largely unregulated, and in fact, their sales numbers are skyrocketing. in parallel, pedestrian death and injury counts are skyrocketing. i'm pissed off and sad that you're now part of these statistics, too.
                    (mic drop and probably a return to lurking)

hugs and kitty snugs Sad

Hey all - just to update everyone (cross post for efficiency)

literally got hit by a truck this morning, while on my shakeout jog.  My left side is pretty roughed up, with my left shoulder taking the worst of it.

Have been to the ER and to the Orthopedist.  X-rays don't show anything broken or dislocated, and I passed the neurology check-up.  But I can't really use my left arm right now, to the point where I need help to get dressed or undressed.  I could probably complete a marathon, but I can't run one to my full potential like this, and the ortho is really strongly opposed to me racing a marathon on Saturday.

So....plan right now is to skip Indy Marathon this weekend, and hope I am healed up enough in a week to run the Richmond Marathon.

I am really pissed off.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

kcam i've also decided i'm out for CIM, but do i want to officially defer and therefore pay $49 to commit to dec 2020 marathon already? not sure....  mightve only paid $100 to enter since i registered early on, so just gonna eat that and move on.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Darkwave That's fcuking bullshit! Also a literal fear I have sometimes. At least you have a backup race (isn't that just like you) to use all this fitness for. Hope you're okay physically and mentally. Kind of a rough week with the tree then the truck. At least the cats are okay, right? I was looking forward to tracking or seeing the results this weekend. Hopefully the weather at Richmond is something better than 28-34F.

rlk it isn't even worth a response you'll ignore so i'll just say SUVs and trucks, along with how tall they're allowed to be is regulated. If you'd like to have an open discussion as to the root cause of accidents I'm open to it. I'll say my point is "people aren't paying attention when they should be."

Sorry you're pulling out of CIM. I was wondering if you were going to do it and how this newer training cycle was working for you since you hadn't posted about how the longer 16ish week plan was going for you. I also hadn't seen a lot of what I'd consider "marathon specific" workouts. If you'll be in town I'll still take you and jmac out for Avocado toast if you know a place.  At the end of the day there is more to worry about than $100 vs $50 or who gets to work/home/around how.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I'm certainly glad it wasn't worse for you. A number of years ago I witness from about 3 feet away someone get hit by a vehicle and he was immediately in very bad shape.
                          Did the ortho tell you anything more specific about why your left arm isn't working properly? Yyou know, other than it being hit by a forking truck?
                          I appreciated Cheryl's comment on Strava, too, and am curious as to the answer - Did you at least dent the truck??

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

I appreciated Cheryl's comment on Strava, too, and am curious as to the answer - Did you at least dent the truck??

Dynamite DOES come in small packages....

Again, hope it all comes out excellent for you girl. Up side is nothing is broken. Downside is you're out the entry fee and associated costs for Indy. Hope the airline gets you credit and the hotel doesn't charge you anything.

VDOT 53.37 

dw - oooof, that sucks.  You're not built like a linebacker, but you're as tough as one!  Heal up and don't stress about racing.

From the Internet.

Oh no dwave!! That sucks - I hope you feel better ASAP, and I hope the a-hole who hit you is sufficiently shaken up from the experience to be more careful going forward