Gears/Wears we wished existed (Read 828 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why has Nike not come out with trail versions of the Free/Free Run?  I find that the outsoles of these are really not very durable and I question how well they will do in snow this Winter.  I really love my Free Runs, otherwise.  They might be my favorite shoe of all time, but only 120ish miles into a pair and the bottoms look about as worn as most shoes I've had in rotation with at least double the mileage.  I think it would be a really nice trail shoe, but I wonder if they'd be slippery over rocks and roots and I'm thinking stubbed toes would be a definite hazard.  It would be interesting to see what they'd be like with a heavier-duty/grippy outsole and more substantial upper.  If I were to take up trail running again I'd buy a trail version in a heartbeat.  I can't imagine that I'm the only person would would find trail versions of the Free models an appealing choice.

What item(s) do you wish existed?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

#artbydmcbride

Sunglasses that prevent sweat from running into my eyes, maybe with a terrycloth strip along the top?

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

A sportbra that supported my boobs comfortably and made it look like I indeed have 2 separate boobs.  Big grin

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sunglasses that prevent sweat from running into my eyes, maybe with a terrycloth strip along the top?

This is why I wear a Buff all the time.  I can't wear sunscreen above my eyes...there is no such thing as sweatproof.  Learned that the hard way.  That is some special kind of hell, right there!  I've yet to find sunglasses that don't fog in some capacity, too.  Some are better than others, but all can be problematic.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A sportbra that supported my boobs comfortably and made it look like I indeed have 2 separate boobs.  Big grin

This one is pretty good, but still not as good as the wretched uniboob ones. *sigh*

~ Sarah Kay

Oh roo roooo!

This one is pretty good, but still not as good as the wretched uniboob ones. *sigh*

Underwire sports bras?  Good lord, I can't imagine...thankful to be among the less endowed!

I would like to see tights that keep your butt area from somehow magically being 4x as cold as the rest of your lower body--seeing as how it's constantly in a "drafting" position and thus out of the direct wind, I don't know how this even occurs, but it's a constant issue for me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Underwire sports bras?  Good lord, I can't imagine...thankful to be among the less endowed!

I would like to see tights that keep your butt area from somehow magically being 4x as cold as the rest of your lower body--seeing as how it's constantly in a "drafting" position and thus out of the direct wind, I don't know how this even occurs, but it's a constant issue for me.

Yeah, I want butt-warmer panels, too!

Underwires...mine all have 'em.  Only way the compression/encapsulation bras actually encapsulate.  Really controls motion better than the ones without underwires.

~ Sarah Kay

Why has Nike not come out with trail versions of the Free/Free Run?  I find that the outsoles of these are really not very durable and I question how well they will do in snow this Winter. 

If it's outsole durability you're after, trail versions might not be the solution.  Trail shoes usually use a softer (hence, "grippier") rubber on the outsoles that will wear down quicker, particularly if not used on actual trails.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...so for actual trails the existing one would be good.  Some sort of toe protection would still be better.  They sure could use a tougher outsole for roads.  Or I need to stop shuffling. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Hmmm...so for actual trails the existing one would be good.  

Not necessarily... on trails, the softer and more aggressive trail shoe grip does make quite a difference, and they last a long time if you don't use them on pavement.  

The right tool for the right job, as they say. 

MTA: Sorry, re-read your original post and I think you really were talking about trail running... I thought you were looking for an all-purpose version of the shoe that doesn't wear down as quickly.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

tomatolover

My Dream Visor:

1. complete protection of face & ears from sun

2. no velcro (catches in my hair)

3. Does not scare children (or permanently ward off men) ala the K-style visor I see sported around my neighborhood

asian visor 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not necessarily... on trails, the softer and more aggressive trail shoe grip does make quite a difference, and they last a long time if you don't use them on pavement.  

The right tool for the right job, as they say. 

MTA: Sorry, re-read your original post and I think you really were talking about trail running... I thought you were looking for an all-purpose version of the shoe that doesn't wear down as quickly.

Yeah, I guess not true trail shoes, but Nike makes a "trail" version of the Lunarfly that is more-or-less a cold weather/snow/wet version of the shoe.  They slapped a water resistant upper on it and more substantial tread (though they also ended up changing the fit of it with that upper, which was narrower and made the shoe not work well for me).  I'd love to see something like that for the Free models for Winter.  

Perhaps all they'd really have to do for some trail use in non-rocky areas would be toe protection.  Most of the trails around this region are slippery with leaves and sandy, but roots can really make for nasty stubbed toes (and badly sprained ankles, heh, though I've thought ever since that injury that a softer shoe with more minimal heel would have likely not led to that teeter-totter on top of a small root that led to my ankle rolling way over).

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, I guess not true trail shoes, but Nike makes a "trail" version of the Lunarfly that is more-or-less a cold weather/snow/wet version of the shoe.  They slapped a water resistant upper on it and more substantial tread (though they also ended up changing the fit of it with that upper, which was narrower and made the shoe not work well for me).  I'd love to see something like that for the Free models for Winter.  

Perhaps all they'd really have to do for some trail use in non-rocky areas would be toe protection.  Most of the trails around this region are slippery with leaves and sandy, but roots can really make for nasty stubbed toes (and badly sprained ankles, heh, though I've thought ever since that injury that a softer shoe with more minimal heel would have likely not led to that teeter-totter on top of a small root that led to my ankle rolling way over).

Yeah, toe protection is crucial... I am outrageously clumsy at times, and often stumble on absolutely nothing just walking down the sidewalk (with the obligatory "what the hell was that?!" look back).

In terms of the water resistant upper, though, I'll take a shoe with good drainage any day of the week.  In wet conditions, you gon' get wet. 

Jack Kerouac

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, toe protection is crucial... I am outrageously clumsy at times, and often stumble on absolutely nothing just walking down the sidewalk (with the obligatory "what the hell was that?!" look back).

In terms of the water resistant upper, though, I'll take a shoe with good drainage any day of the week.  In wet conditions, you gon' get wet. 

Oh, yeah...I have had exactly ONE pair of Gore-Tex shoes...they made my feet pruney when water got in at the ankles.  And they were really stiff and heavy.  Miserable shoes, to be honest.  I do like a slightly thicker upper for Winter, though...something a bit less meshy/thin.  Not so much when it's wet, but for when it's really cold to keep my toes a bit warmer.

So I'm not the only one who looks around for gnomes or goblins or trolls when I trip on invisible things?

~ Sarah Kay

So I'm not the only one who looks around for gnomes or goblins or trolls when I trip on invisible things?

I call him the sidewalk monster. 

Jack Kerouac