Water in the Garmin - any other tips? (Read 445 times)

My Garmin 205 got water inside it twice in the last couple weeks. Got caught in a couple downpours. Still works but condensation forms on the screen making it hard to see. Tried putting it in rice. Helped after the first downpour but it's not helping now. Just thought I'd ask before dropping the $200+ for a new Garmin. 

HermosaBoy

My Garmin 205 got water inside it twice in the last couple weeks. Got caught in a couple downpours. Still works but condensation forms on the screen making it hard to see. Tried putting it in rice. Helped after the first downpour but it's not helping now. Just thought I'd ask before dropping the $200+ for a new Garmin. 

Worst case scenario, just send it in to get "refurbished."  That would be a lot cheaper than a new garmin.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

TennisKid1192

Kevin

I tried the rice trick on an old phone that I had sent through the laundry [oops]. Didn't work. So I looked up solutions online. Since it was a last ditch effort I went with this one: Turn your oven on to a really low temperature setting. I think it was either 100 or 150? Let the device sit in there for about 30 minutes if not longer.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone/

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

CeeDotA

Aren't these things supposed to be at least water-resistant? Kinda concerning since I do a lot of rain running on top of being a sweaty beast. Haven't had any issues with my 405, fortunately.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

You can open it, which would let it dry out faster.  If you have a dehumidifier, you can put it in front of where the air comes out, which would be dryer than the intake.  Once it is dry, use a piece of tape to cover the holes in the back.  The beeps aren't as loud, but it's better than getting moisture in.

Tramps

I got nothin'.

I just think it's sad to see George posting without a Bruins logo.

Stoopid NHL.

Be safe. Be kind.