Foot cramp (Read 76 times)

zonykel

about once a day, I get a foot cramp on my right foot. Essentially, the big toe and the index toe split and the cramp pain spreads a little past the middle of the foot.

it's always the same foot and it happens a lot more often when im in bed.

can anybody guess on what could be the reason? (I never get that cramp while running, though).

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'll be watching this one with interest, as I've been getting ready to post almost the same question.

Mine isn't in exactly the same location...it's more like just behind the ball of  my right foot, but it happens every night, like clockwork, about five minutes after I lay down for the night.  I have to jump out of bed and walk it out, then it's good for the rest of the evening.

Sometimes it happens as I'm sitting in my easy chair, but not as reliably.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

You_vs_cant

I was getting foot cramps again.  I think my insoles were just worn out.  I use the "Superfeet" brand and they were nearly 2 years old.  I didn't think they'd be that worn out but I got a new pair and what a difference in feel.  No cramps so far tonight and I went for a pretty hard run today.  Is there something also that you may be lacking in the way of nutrition or hydration?

have had this sort of thing off and on.  stretch stretch stretch!  when you go to bed, when you get outta bed and any other time you can.  haven't had foot cramps in a while.  it preceded plantar fasciatis (sp?) which I am finally over (fingers crossed)....Smile

Tammarin.....

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Ever think of lacing your shoes differently?

A while back I had suddenly developed a soreness across the top of my foot in about the same area, but it was more around the big toe tendon.  Lacing my shoes in a different way relieved the pressure on it and the pain went away.  Instead of the usual criss-cross "X" pattern I now lace straight across and to the outside.

If the pain is on the bottom of the foot though, I couldn't offer a guess.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

WSJ might have your answer on this.

Might  be as simple as hydration/electrolyte imbalance.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zonykel

WSJ might have your answer on this.

Might  be as simple as hydration/electrolyte imbalance.

Dehydration or

electrolyte imbalance do not appear to be the cause:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724901/

Dehydration or

electrolyte imbalance do not appear to be the cause:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724901/

Do not rule out dehydration based on that article (full text: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724901/pdf/v038p00488.pdf).

This study looks at cramping as a function of change in hydration level during a race from where they were at the start. It does not characterize the starting hydration levels of the runners as compared to some "ideal" hydration level or personal baseline level.

Hydration isn't just what you drink while you workout. What the "cramp group" runners and "control group" runners did differently in the days leading up to the race probably had a stronger impact on how much they cramped than anything they did during the race.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

it's always the same foot and it happens a lot more often when im in bed.

The PMC article looks at in-race cramps.  I thought you were looking for nighttime sporadic muscle cramps, which is what the WSJ is addressing.

Unless you are doing strenuous exercise in bed: then sir, I applaud you.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

Unless you are doing strenuous exercise in bed: then sir, I applaud you.

Shy

Runners run

I get gruesome cramps in my toes.   Horrendous!  I'm talking contorted toes and being in complete pain.

I've tried everything from pickle juice, to mustard.     What works for me?  Enough water, and salt if needed.  But , the main thing?

Yoga Toes.  Every night for at least 20 minutes.

- Anya