Daniels Marathon Training Question (Read 171 times)

I am zeroing in on one of the plans from Daniels Running Formula for my next marathon. There is a lot of talk about Pfitz and Hansons on here, but I haven't seen as much experience with the Daniels plans. Hopefully there is someone here who can answer a question for me.

I have read the book, but I can't figure out if the mileage goals for a workout include the warm up/down and recovery intervals in the mileage limits.

For example, the 3rd week has a workout like:

sets of 1000m, 1200m, or miles @ I pace, with 3-5 min recovery jogs to total the lesser of 6% weekly mileage and 8k

Does the 6%/8k limit include the recovery jogs? Or just the work sections?

What about this one:

2 miles E pace + Sets of 5 min hard with 3-5 min recovery jogs to total 10k or 8% weekly mileage, whichever is less.

Is the 2 miles Easy included in the 10k/8% limit?

--

Nashville, TN

joescott

The book is on my desk at the office at the moment, so I can't check it, but my guess would be based on my understanding of Daniels is that the volume goals for the quality work do NOT include the recovery intervals nor warmup/cooldowns.  His whole philosophy is built on spending X time in Y zone (T, I, R) so it would seem to me that when he says your 1000 intervals should add up to 6% of weekly mileage (or whatever), he means the actual quality work itself.  Does that help?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

The book is on my desk at the office at the moment, so I can't check it, but my guess would be based on my understanding of Daniels is that the volume goals for the quality work do NOT include the recovery intervals nor warmup/cooldowns.  His whole philosophy is built on spending X time in Y zone (T, I, R) so it would seem to me that when he says your 1000 intervals should add up to 6% of weekly mileage (or whatever), he means the actual quality work itself.  Does that help?

That makes sense. I will go with that!

--

Nashville, TN

Resident Historian

Correct -- the time at speed is constrained to  those limits.

Daniels suggest you chose a peak mileage you want to run.  The easy miles / recovery distances still count in your total miles for the week, for measuring against the recommended percentages of peak week.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

joescott

jaxn, just to be 100% sure this morning I asked Jack about this and he confirmed the answer I gave you.

- Joe

jaxn, just to be 100% sure this morning I asked Jack about this and he confirmed the answer I gave you.

Do you have Jack on speed dial now?

One day my son brought home copies of the VDOT tables from the Daniels' book given to him by his HS coach.  My son chuckles because the coach keeps referring to him as Charlie Daniels.  

Marylander

My daughter's high school coach used the VDOT tables but, strangely enough, had the runners doing their workouts several levels above what the tables called for. I never could figure that one out.

joescott

Not speed dial, but a fortuitous crossing of paths.  Let me know right away if you have any burning questions you've always wanted to ask but haven't been able to.  Gem of a fellow, by the way.

MTA:  Charlie Daniels, Jack Daniels, whatever it takes!

- Joe

My daughter's high school coach used the VDOT tables but, strangely enough, had the runners doing their workouts several levels above what the tables called for. I never could figure that one out.

That's crazy, but probably typical for many HS coaches. .

My son's coach seems to go by the tables for the hard stuff (as a guideline), and unfortunately when it comes to the easy days, that EZ pace seems to be thrown out the window.  He just tells people to "keep up" with the faster ones.

@Joe... would be pretty cool to cross paths with someone like him. I had the chance to see Dick Beardsly speak last month. That was pretty cool.