Chicago 26.2 (Read 1281 times)

oh it sounded like it was super hot! Congrats on the finish Derek and I look forward to the report. Rest and enjoy your success!

Jennifer mm#1231

mercedesgirl900

Congrats to all the runners who finished Chicago today. What a scorcher! This might be jumping the gun a little bit, but does anyone know the date for the Chicago 2008? I can't wait for it! Big grin
        I posted this info in the 2K club, but many of you may not have seen it.... The 2007 Chicago Marathon Organizers shut down the course four hours after the start because of 88-degree heat and sweltering humidity. Runners who did not hit the half-way point by 11:50 am (3:50 into the race) were removed from the course and not permitted to continue. In addition, about ten minutes later, there were apparently efforts to cancel the race in its entirety. According to internet reports, runners all along the course were either told to leave the course or told to walk -- no matter where they were at the time. (Remember that many people won't have crossed the start line for 20-25 minutes, so lots of these people were maintaining a decent pace.) This happened to people as far into the race as mile 24 and 25. In many cases, reportedly the orders came from police. I saw one report that police were ordering people to walk, not run, across the finish line. Aid stations ran out of water and/or gatoraide quite early. People running a 4:30 marathon pace reported that the first few aid stations were completely or close to bare. They went as far as 9 miles into the race before hitting a fully-stocked aid station. Here's some raw news footage showing people's reactions to the termination of the race, as well as some of the conditions on the course. The marathon reports that only 24,931 runners finished. This is out of 45,000 registered runners, and an estimated 35,000 runner who actually started the race. Doing the rough math, only 2 of every 3 runners who started the race made it to the finish line. The others were removed from the course, or were physically unable to complete the race. Sadly, there was at least one confirmed death during the race.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

derek

I crossed 20 miles at just over 4 hrs and pretty much from that point for the remaining 6 miles race officials and cops were telling everyone that nobody should be running and that everyone should be walking to the finish. At that point I wasn't about to simply walk the last 6 miles, so I ran/walked as best I could. Initially I was a bit dissapointed with my performance, but after seeing the stats, I'm just glad I finished and got an official time and medal.

Derek

Wow. Good job to all of you RA'ers that ran today. I hope you all survived the daunting conditions and bravo to you all for taking on the challenge.
            mikeymike

Congrats on finishing guys. Not what you wanted for your first marathon, derek, but great job finishing it. I watched that video and it there are some pretty upset people. Can't blame them. How do you run out of water at a marathon? Not that I have any desire to run a race with 40,000 people but you figure if you pay a lot of money to do so and they have that many days notice that it will be super hot, they'll figure out a way to have enough water on course.

Runners run

Initially I was a bit dissapointed with my performance, but after seeing the stats, I'm just glad I finished and got an official time and medal.
                You are I are in the same boat ... along with about 27,000 other runners who finished drastically below their best-case potential. This was a race where finishing was victory in itself. For years to come, you'll be able to brag that you finished the 2007 Chicago "canceled" marathon -- and knowledgeable runners will respect that all on its own.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Wow. I saw a friends time today and his was a lot slower then I was expecting and hoping for him. I trained with him and know for a fact he should have been 30 minutes faster. Anyone that finished that race should give themselves a huge pat on the back. Besides the weather I think it is crazy they started so late. That didn't help I am sure. About the water, it makes me want to take my own drink with me. I was planning on bringing my own gatorade or Accelerade with me on the course and taking water as needed. Drinking out of those cups is a pain and I never trust the mixture. I plan to take water as needed. Not to have water on the course is just unbelievable. How can you do this? I would ask for my money back or a free entry for next year. Again congrats to those the ran it at all. I would have been tempted to cancel and run philly or columbus.
                    2011 Goals:
                    Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                    Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                  Jeffrey

Unbelievable conditions today. Sounds like it was all about < surviving="" />. Congratulations to everyone that ran!

Anyone have pizza?

Holy Cow Derek, your temps even beat mine. In 1984, I ran my first NYC Marathon. It was 78 degrees with 98% humidity. Very sadly, a runner from France had died from heat exhaustion approaching the Queensboro Bridge, and several hundreds had been hospitalized. Relieved to see you made it dude!!! Smile
                      Gaby

wake me up!

Hi Friends from RA, I usually don't post in the forums, I will try to do it more often. I run my second marathon today. I just go back from Chicago, finished in 4:50 min! OMG! HOT HOT HOT About mile 12, I decided that my plan to "eat" 10 min from my previous marathon has to change to just Finish! I am so sorry for the fellow runner that did no make it. What a waste! Congrats to all of you that finished! tons of hugs and fluids! talk to you all later G
                          congratulations for not only being out there and even attempting the marathon in those condiitons, but finishing !
                          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                            Congrats to all for finishing - awesome achievement under those conditions.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

I posted this info in the 2K club...
                              Angry Thanks for re-posting. This is where race reports belong Smile Sounds like a total meltdown by the organizers, there's really no excuse for running out of water at a big race like that. It happened at ING Georgia but wasn't quite so hot so they got away with it. I guess I picked the right year to NOT run Chicago.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have to say that I am REALLY relieved each time one of our RA own pops in to say that they survived (finishing is a bonus). Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay