Mid- day snack for late day running (Read 585 times)

McShane

I am not a morning person, so I run around 5 or 6pm after I get home. Recently I have been riding to work, 10 miles, and than an additional four to a trail where I run anywhere from 3.5 to 5 miles every other day. Off days I stiil ride the ten miles to work. I eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, and a salad for lunch. I am looking for a snack that is not a processed food item (power bar- balance- etc,,) all that manufactured crap. Does anyone have a homemade snack they can think of or a better mid-afternoon pick-me up that might lead to more energy when I run later in the day? Lately, I have been really dogging it and not finishing well, this bugs me. Thanks, TB

A Saucy Wench

some kind of carb/protein combo works best for me. I like PB because it transports fairly well and even the natural kind doesnt need to be fridged for just a day. apple & string cheese or peanut butter 1/2 whole grain bread and nut butter sandwich yogurt with fruit or plain yogurt with a handfull of nuts.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I vote for the wondrous banana and a handful of nuts. Mmm...

running yogi

i don't anymore but i used to run around those times. i used to make me a several days supply of black bean soup. that worked really well for me. if i remember right that idea came to me from a body and soul magazine. when you give up processed food, you can start thinking outside the box. what's wrong with half a grilled chicken sandwich or oats for snack . and ofcourse all the suggestions by Ennay work too.

The Greatest of All Time

IMHO you need some carbs mid afternoon to fuel a later run. Nuts are great for filling you up but they are not going to top off your fuel tank so to speak. I know you're against bars, but have you considered less processed organic types? I am pretty basic so I would just eat a package or two of organic instant oatmeal and run on that.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              I really like a small bowl of chili. It's mostly for motivational reasons for its "Light a fire under your butt" properties.

Insert witty title here

That's something I need to get in the habit of doing. What I have been doing is getting home from work around 5 and eating a 100% whole wheat bagel toasted with peanut butter on top and then running around 6 or 6:30. Seems to work for me or at the very least is delicious Smile

ThomasRuns Blog
                Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Hobby Jogger Especial!

You could make a batch of these energy bars, freeze them and throw one or two in your bag for a snack: Ingredients 3 cups rolled oats (you can use Quaker oats) 1/2 cup wheat germ 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup chopped nuts (not peanuts - too oily) I used chopped, raw almonds 1/2 cup raisins 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I used salted for the nutritional information!) 1 cup chocolate chips 1 cup vanilla soy milk 3/4 cups honey (warm it if it's too thick to mix) 1/4 cup canola oil Directions 1. Preheat oven to 325F and spray 9x13 inch pan. 2. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients. 3. Wet your hands and press it into the pan. 4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until looking brown. 5. Don't try to cut it until it's cooled or they'll fall apart. Cut them into 24 bars and stick them in the freezer to pull out as needed. Number of Servings: 24 Nutritional Info Servings Per Recipe: 24 Amount Per Serving Calories: 230.9 Total Fat: 9.7 g Cholesterol: 0.0 mg Sodium: 16.7 mg Total Carbs: 32.6 g Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g Protein: 5.7 g

Best Present Ever

I think the Lara and clif nectar bars are nice, and I loathe all the others. Those just have dates, nuts, and sometimes other dried fruit, usually only 3-4 ingediants, nothing processed. I keep them in the car for kid snack emergencies, but they'd work as a pre-run healthy, high carb, and tasty snack, too.

A Saucy Wench

I really like a small bowl of chili. It's mostly for motivational reasons for its "Light a fire under your butt" properties.
                      Hah! - I call that "jet propulsion"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7