2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

kcam

Then I do not know - maybe try a different watch if you have one - I see Laps menu for all the runners I follow except you Smile

You might also send a question to Strava support - I asked them for help couple of times - they were mostly useful and responded back within 2-3 days.

Now I understand why 'Laps' doesn't show up on my activities ... I don't have autolap turned on on my FR230.  So there are no laps to display.  If I go look at one of my races (where I manually lap the watch when I see a mile-marker) then, sure enough, the 'Laps' button is right there where it's supposed to be.  Mystery solved.

PS - I apologize to the group for this thread hijack.  Keep up the work all of you.

cinnamon girl

M: 10 mi (8:01)
      T: 90 min with hilly river trails (8:12) 
      W: 6.3 mi (8:55)
      T: 6.3 mi (8:15)
      F: 10.7 mi (8:10)
      S: 17.2 mi (8:02)
      S: 9.5 mi (8:19)
      I was going to run another 40-50 min tonight but opted for a long walk instead, which happened to end with me wandering into a Pub.  Oregon started opening back up on Friday. Everything closed down the week after I moved here - so all is new.

Hi Rovatti - thanks for the update and your opinions. I'm left of moderate and I'm for loosening things up as well.

Good week per usual DPS - I'll be running in MPLS (or St Paul - not sure where I'm staying) next weekend and I'm looking forward to it! Extended forecast says thunderstorms and that would be cool but obviously I don't trust it.

Victoria officially cancelled - which I had in the back of my mind as maybe a hope but I'm not surprised. I wasn't really expecting it.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marky - I am used to your relatively fast weeks and this time I was looking at your runs and thinking - somehow it seems too slow Smile. Also, I have never heard any of the shows/movies you and Rovatti mentioned, but I am cool with that .

Calbears - Can you do The Haka yet?  If so then post the link as I would like to see it. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Resident Historian

36 miles for the week, similar to last week except I completed the 10 miler on Sunday. 
          Stayed away from the ocean for all runs. This narrow strip of coastal SoCal still stinks of red tide. Not as nasty as last Sunday though. 

I've also started adding strides to some runs -- like Saturday before the long run. Man, did I pay for that in the first miles today. Glutes were very sore, but eventually loosened up

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Let me know. I can point you to some good running areas.

M: 10 mi (8:01)
            T: 90 min with hilly river trails (8:12) 
            W: 6.3 mi (8:55)
            T: 6.3 mi (8:15)
            F: 10.7 mi (8:10)
            S: 17.2 mi (8:02)
            S: 9.5 mi (8:19)
            I was going to run another 40-50 min tonight but opted for a long walk instead, which happened to end with me wandering into a Pub.  Oregon started opening back up on Friday. Everything closed down the week after I moved here - so all is new.

Hi Rovatti - thanks for the update and your opinions. I'm left of moderate and I'm for loosening things up as well.

Good week per usual DPS - I'll be running in MPLS (or St Paul - not sure where I'm staying) next weekend and I'm looking forward to it! Extended forecast says thunderstorms and that would be cool but obviously I don't trust it.

Victoria officially cancelled - which I had in the back of my mind as maybe a hope but I'm not surprised. I wasn't really expecting it.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Re: opening up.  I don't strongly disagree with either those who are for opening up or for staying shut down.  I do think it needs to be decided on a regional level, not a national one in a country as vast as this one.  And I personally strongly disagree with those who believe the open up/shut down decision is an easy and obvious call.  Just so many variables and so much bad data.

For myself, I don't mind being shut down another few weeks.  But that's really easy for me to say from my nice no kids white collar telecommute job pedestal, where my biggest hardship is either the pool being closed or not being able to get an grocery delivery window.   I fear this shutdown will do permanent damage to others.  It has done that damage.

My sucky week:

26.5 miles, 5 miles of walking
              M: Upperbody weights, core, and 5 mile walk
              T: 12.5 miles, including an alternating workout of 2 short hill repeats (70 seconds at incline of 4.5), 10 minutes at tempo (6:25 pace), 2 short hill repeats, 10 minutes at tempo (6:22 pace), 2 short hill repeats. 2:30 jog after each hill or tempo segment. Followed with leg strengthwork.
              W: 6 miles easy on treadmill (9:02), live streaming yoga, and 8 miles easy on treadmill (8:45).
              Th: Upper body weights/core and streaming yoga.
              F: Streaming yoga.
              Sa: Streaming yoga,and upper body weights/core.
              Su: Streaming yoga (two classes back to back) and leg strength work

Developed a burning pain on the outside of my left foot that is almost certainly nerve pain.  It's clearly not plantar fasciitis or peroneal tendonitis, because of how it acts and the location.  I also have a history of cramping and pins and needles in that part of my foot, so this would go with that.

Problem is that it's sore enough that it alters my gait, so I don't want to run or walk on it until it eases, less I get myself something more serious.

Good news is that it seems to be responding.  It was awful until I got in to see a chiro on Saturday....an adjustment to my SI joing, some ART on my piriformis, and Graston on the back of my knee made a lot of difference.  Went back this morning for more work, including getting a nice pop out of whatever was locked up in the middle of my foot.  Seems like it is most likely irritation of my sural nerve near the back of my knee, plus some more issues with my sacral joint.  Nothing wrong with the muscles/bones/tendons/ligaments (though I have a podiatrist appt to double check), so I should be able to bounce back pretty quickly.

This is also not the worst time to take a week off, especially after the steady training of the last several weeks.  I usually like my easy weeks to be not quite this easy, but whatever.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jhudak55

M: 8.5 miles easy (8:59)

T: 3.1 miles easy (8:58)

W: 5.1 miles easy (9:01)

T: 10 miles w/ 3 @ Tempo (7:15, 7:11, 7:08)

F: 5.1 miles easy (9:00)

S: 12 miles long run, this was supposed to be 15, but I felt much more fatigued than normal so I cut it short (9:06)

S: 6.8 miles easy (8:44)

I'm new here, I posted a brief bio a couple day ago. My week went well with the exception of the long run I cut short on Saturday. I think the fatigue from the tempo on Thursday combined with not being acclimated to the warmer weather took its toll on me.

It looks like many on this tread have recently done time trials in lieu of actual races. I was thinking of running a 5k time trial this coming weekend. Any recommendations for successfully running a time trial?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

M: 8.5 miles easy (8:59)

T: 3.1 miles easy (8:58)

W: 5.1 miles easy (9:01)

T: 10 miles w/ 3 @ Tempo (7:15, 7:11, 7:08)

F: 5.1 miles easy (9:00)

S: 12 miles long run, this was supposed to be 15, but I felt much more fatigued than normal so I cut it short (9:06)

S: 6.8 miles easy (8:44)

I'm new here, I posted a brief bio a couple day ago. My week went well with the exception of the long run I cut short on Saturday. I think the fatigue from the tempo on Thursday combined with not being acclimated to the warmer weather took its toll on me.

It looks like many on this tread have recently done time trials in lieu of actual races. I was thinking of running a 5k time trial this coming weekend. Any recommendations for successfully running a time trial?

Hi - welcome.  I think we're in the same area (I live in Arlington, in Ballston).

I'm not into time trials myself.  And the big question for me is - where would you run it?  The only certified 5K courses that I can think of would be on the W&OD trail (the out and back from Bluemont park) which is crowded for most of the day, or Hains Point, which is open to runners but has the gates closed, so that you need to do some swerving.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jhudak55

Hi - welcome.  I think we're in the same area (I live in Arlington, in Ballston).

I'm not into time trials myself.  And the big question for me is - where would you run it?  The only certified 5K courses that I can think of would be on the W&OD trail (the out and back from Bluemont park) which is crowded for most of the day, or Hains Point, which is open to runners but has the gates closed, so that you need to do some swerving.

I live right around the corner in Penrose! Hains Point looks like the best option to me. I don't normally run Hains, but did a loop around it this weekend to scout it out. I agree that it will take some swerving, but I don't think the gates will be too difficult to navigate (we'll see how I feel running at 5k pace...).

Resident Historian

Strong running weeks here!

DPS - looks like the higher mileage agrees with you --solid every day. But you can have that running in the rain!

Darkwave - Hope the chiro helps fix that mystery pain quickly. Agree that you don't want to potentially worsen it when there's no urgent need to keep training hard. (BTDT)

jhudak - Nice 50 miles. I don't know your capabilities well, but that tempo pace seems MUCH faster than your day-to-day runs, which may explain the fatigue Saturday. If you're in 3:36 marathon, that tempo pace is more like 5K pace than one-hour race pace. I see you'll test that this weekend; get your TT in and set tempo pace from there. Another thought: If you're doing one workout and a long run per week, put two days easy between them rather than one. 

Marky - I sure don't envy you that climb at the end of your runs.  I live partway up a series of hills, but my climb is 1/2 yours, and probably not as steep. That Hobsonville loop does look nice though -- partly boardwalk? I'll second DPS's question on how much mileage you're planning for the marathon.

Cal - Very impressive improvements on the Hadd test. I admire your determination to stick with the plan. Looking good if you can translate that into marathon speed. A 2:50 could be the opening bid.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marky_Mark_17

Longboat - there is a boardwalk section but it's only around 450 yards long (the main loop is just over 3 miles).

Jhudak - welcome!! Time trials are much easier for shorter distances than longer ones, but JMac recently ran a PR for the half and Weather ran a 10km PR too.  You've got to be pretty mentally tough as the option of pulling the pin is a lot more real than in a race.

Cal - looking forward to seeing your haka video.

Darkwave - hope that injury clears up fast.  I'm seriously looking forward to seeing my osteopath next Monday.  Nothing seems busted but my legs just need a bit of love (I'll be closing in on 1,000km since my last visit... normally it'd be 400km at most!).  The different levels of state and federal government make it so much more challenging to start opening things up again in places like the US or Australia because of the need to align things at a national level.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Cal - looking forward to seeing your haka video.

Oh, no problem - send me a two-way ticket and accommodations to your little place, so I could learn the culture and understood your people, then I expect a pre-paid bootcamp to the All Blacks team and I promise you to give my best effort in creating haka video. I hope it's not too much to ask? 

Cal - Very impressive improvements on the Hadd test. I admire your determination to stick with the plan. Looking good if you can translate that into marathon speed. A 2:50 could be the opening bid.

Thanks! I do not think you can translate anything from Hadd's test results - I think it's just for seeing how your fitness improves/decreases. I wish I had some guidance on how to translate Hadd to marathon pace Smile That's why I think if I can get 10miles runs to sub 7 pace at @150 bpm, then getting to 6:30 pace @163-166 bpm should be totally feasible. Btw, congrats on making steady progress! Re the smell - definitely I cannot small it from here but the night videos of that stuff looks awesome Smile

DW - sorry about the issue, but it might be a sign to ease up? I am still waiting on the sign from my training, hope it will never come but we all know - eventually...

Cal-I heard about that test on a podcast a few weeks ago.  It is an interesting idea.  I don't know if I could find the time to really do that long of a block due to spring and fall marathon cycle I tend to do.  It sounds like he encourages a 10 or 12 week block followed by monthly tests until you plateau.

There are plenty of interpretations Smile But what I've read -  there are two phases of his recommended training - I only know more or less about Phase I. He advises 20 weeks of aerobic base building, adding at some point of the base building runs at elevated HR to raise your Lactate Threshold pace.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

OMR

rovatti:  have you seen any of the PMIS (pediatric multi-inflammatory syndrome) in your neck of the woods.  i'm also a moderate democrat, and i know that this probably hasn't hit our area in a serious way yet. but, some people here think that it is basically over at this point, because the number of new cases are decreasing in new york...(we have one of the higher per capita rates of new cases in the country, as of a day or two ago)...

another 2am post-shift dispatch:

Marky & Piwi - I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople last night (because I'm obsessed with What we do in the shadows).  Beautiful scenery, maybe a bit too sentimental for me, but I enjoyed it.

My recent covid opinions: 

- many people (like me) are not susceptible, and yet don't have detectable antibodies???  (Quote me on this in a few months).

- very few FRESH cases for 4 weeks in NYC. (ignore the cases stat).  I suspect covid is fading, and not just from social distancing.

- everything is political... I'm a moderate democrat, but I'm leaning RED on this (i.e. loosen it up)

My hips are good, but my knees are shit.

Hey to all y'all!!

marutz

I used to run with Nike run club but due to numerous glitches I switched to SportMe Marathon Trainer. I run three times a week and monitoring my progress made me a less anxious and more self confident person. It's amazing what running can do for you!

CalBears

I used to run with Nike run club but due to numerous glitches I switched to SportMe Marathon Trainer. I run three times a week and monitoring my progress made me a less anxious and more self confident person. It's amazing what running can do for you!

No kidding!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile