I pretty much prove this wrong.... (Read 1710 times)

Believe

I think I pretty much prove this link wrong, unless it is the fact that they ran EVERY day and nbot a certain number of miles per week.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-table/201112/study-run-olympian-eat-pig 

I think I pretty much prove this link wrong, unless it is the fact that they ran EVERY day and nbot a certain number of miles per week.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-table/201112/study-run-olympian-eat-pig 

This really is such an amazing thing--somebody actually have to research this kind of thing and still comes out WRONG!???  Yup, don't even listen to this.  You are what you eat--if you want to train like an Olympian and die young with a heart disease, go ahead and eat whatever you want and however much as you want. 

BeeRunB

from the article: "A new study claims that people who run more than five miles a day can pretty much eat whatever they want."

Not when you're 50. Cool

Queen of 3rd Place

You are what you eat--if you want to train like an Olympian and die young with a heart disease, go ahead and eat whatever you want and however much as you want. pick family members with a history of cardiovascular disease. 

Sorry, Nobby, I couldn't resist. Smile 

I don't have access to this journal, but the title and abstract were enough for me! "Meat" as a variable! Did they really not discriminate among meat choices? 

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:

November 2011 - Volume 43 - Issue 11 - pp 2120-2126

doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e31821cd128

Exercise Attenuates the Association of Body Weight with Diet in 106,737 Runners

WILLIAMS, PAUL T.

Abstract

Purpose: The high prevalence of obesity in Western societies has been attributed in part to high-fat low-CHO food consumption. However, people have also become less active, and inactivity may have increased the risk for weight gain from poor dietary choices. Analyses were performed to test whether diet-weight relationships were attenuated by vigorous exercise.

Methods: Age- and education-adjusted cross-sectional regression analyses of 62,042 men and 44,695 women recruited for the National Runners' Health Study were conducted. Reported meat and fruit intakes were analyzed separately and as indicators of high-risk diets.

Results: The runners were generally lean (mean ± SD: males = 24.15 ± 2.81 kg·m−2, females = 21.63 ± 2.70 kg·m−2) as measured by body mass index (BMI), educated (males = 16.42 ± 2.47 yr, females = 16.04 ± 2.32 yr), and middle-aged (males = 44.40 ± 10.83 yr, females = 38.21 ± 10.08 yr), who ran 5.30 ± 3.23 km·d−1 if male and 4.79 ± 3.00 km·d−1 if female. Running significantly attenuated BMI's relationship to reported meat and fruit intakes in men (P < 10−8 and P < 10−12, respectively) and women (P < 10−15 and P < 10−6, respectively). Specifically, compared with running <2 km·d−1, running >8 km·d−1 reduced the apparent BMI increase per serving of meat by 43% in men (slope ± SE = from 0.74 ± 0.10 to 0.42 ± 0.06) and 55% in women (from 1.26 ± 0.13 to 0.57 ± 0.09) and reduced the apparent BMI reduction per serving of fruit by 75% in men (from −0.28 ± 0.04 to −0.07 ± 0.02) and 94% in women (from −0.16 ± 0.05 to −0.01 ± 0.02). Running also significantly attenuated the concordant relationship between reported meat intake and waist and chest circumferences in men (P < 10−9 and P = 0.0002, respectively) and women (P = 0.0004 and P < 10−5, respectively) and the concordant relationship between meat intake and hip circumference in women (P < 10−6).

Conclusions: Vigorous exercise may mitigate diet-induced weight gain, albeit not guaranteeing protection from poor dietary choices.

Ex runner

from the article: "A new study claims that people who run more than five miles a day can pretty much eat whatever they want."

Not when you're 50. Cool

Not when you're 40, either. Must be the same kind of "study" you see touted in those late-night infomercials for "fat burning" snake oil.

Feeling the growl again

If you have bad genetics, no amount of training is going to negate that.

35 mpw and eat whatever you want?  Seriously?  That's only like 3500cal burned for the whole week on exercise.  If I was "eating whatever I wanted", it would certainly add up to more than that.

Regarding the conclusion connected to the study that exercise negates the negative effect of diet on health, why is this so hard to believe?  I'm not saying that it goes away but if you are burning thousands of extra calories per week, that's fat and cholesterol that is not left to accumulate in your body...salt that is sweated away rather than causing high BP.  From what I read from the abstract, it said 50% protection from negative effects...not eliminated.

I've had bloodwork drawn, within a 5-year period, from times when I was training 100 mpw all the way down to not running hardly a step for 9 months.  When I was running the most, my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers were better than any non-exercising adult could likely achieve.  Once, I was actually called by the office for extra questioning because they could not believe them and thought there may be some error.  Smile   When I had not been training for many months, they were still good for someone my age (I only gained 10lbs) but were significantly different.

It is a scientific fact that endurance training is one of the few ways to raise HDL (good cholesterol).  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I can only wish to be able to eat all I want.  

Seventy miles a week for the last three weeks.  Gained three pounds.  

Cookies, pies and drinks oh my!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

I can only wish to be able to eat all I want.  

Seventy miles a week for the last three weeks.  Gained three pounds.  

Cookies, pies and drinks oh my!

141.25 miles last week and I didn't lose an ounce.  Heh.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Best Present Ever

I manage to eat about 1500 kcals a day, run 40-50 miles a week, and not lose an ounce. 

Believe

Not when you're 50. Cool

As I am.Big grin

I manage to eat about 1500 kcals a day, run 40-50 miles a week, and not lose an ounce. 

You really don't.

You might think you do ... but somehow you're not counting the calories correctly.

Queen of 3rd Place

You really don't.

You might think you do ... but somehow you're not counting the calories correctly.

Well...ya gotta make a little room for some tasty beers. Smile

Ex runner

Best Present Ever

You really don't.

Ha!  I literally measure and weight almost everything I eat for days at a time when I'm feeling especially obsessive.    I invite you to my home.  I am a scientist and fully aware that most people undercount their calories consumed and overcount their calories expended.  

Best Present Ever

Well...ya gotta make a little room for some tasty beers. Smile

I don't even drink alcohol!  In fact, I'm always puzzled by the running/beer connection that seems so strong here.  I'm obviously some kind of freak in this regard. 

IIRC there are efficiency gains associated with exercise that have an impact. Sort of like having a car that, at least to a point, gets better fuel mileage the more you drive it.