Brooks Ghost 5 (Read 2145 times)

I just picked up a pair without trying them on in the store.    I was wearing the 2 previous models.  

I wore them yesterday, and am not sure they are exactly the same.  I just wish when I find a shoe that works, I could keep buying the same one. 

I just get sick of trying them on in the store.   They seemed OK, but, maybe it was dumb not to try them on first.  They felt OK, but just a little different.

- Anya

The Brooks Ghost 4 was already a completely different shoe from the previous. It's as if the Ghost has evolved into the old Glycerin. The Glycerin is now some even bigger neutral beast of a shoe. The Launch more closely resembles the original Ghost.

Running Rev'd

The Brooks Ghost 4 was already a completely different shoe from the previous. It's as if the Ghost has evolved into the old Glycerin. The Glycerin is now some even bigger neutral beast of a shoe. The Launch more closely resembles the original Ghost.

This. I liked the Ghost 4 okay, though it rubbed my foot a little weirdly, but I can't do the Ghost 5. I also liked the Glycerin 8s but not the more recent models. I switched to the Launch and the PureFlow, though now they're discontinuing the Launch in January. Why must my shoes change/go away?!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

I liked the Ghost 4 a lot.  It seemed really big and clunky at first, but it worked great for me.  This new one, I'm just not sure about.  Just looking at the bottom of the shoe freaks me out. They look backwards or something.  I should have looked for the old one on Zappos or soemthing, but a cat peed on my old ones,( don't ask ! ) and I needed new ones ASAP.

The shoe store was packed, and I was not in the mood for waiting and waititng.  The best time to shop for shoes is on a Wed night or something.  Not a Saturday afternoon. 

- Anya

This. I liked the Ghost 4 okay, though it rubbed my foot a little weirdly, but I can't do the Ghost 5. I also liked the Glycerin 8s but not the more recent models. I switched to the Launch and the PureFlow, though now they're discontinuing the Launch in January. Why must my shoes change/go away?!

Kmays, how are the Pure Flows? I have 3 pairs of Brooks Launch showing up at my door today after they just announced they are discontinuing them. I need to eventually find a shoe after these.

As for the Brooks ghost. I loved the 3's. The 4's hurt my legs and my back for some reason and the 5's look even more built up.

I train in Launch and Flow with occasional use of Ravenna.  Launch and Flow have different feels.  Flow is my long run and marathon shoe.  It is lighter and softer than Launch.  I love them both and will also stock up on Launch before the end of the year.  Ghost and Glycerin just got to feeling too big and clunky.  I also like Pure Connect but the sole wear wasn't as good for me as Flow.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xor

Launch, Flow, Glycerin, Ghost... neutral cushioned shoes.

Ravenna... kinda chunky stability shoe.

Que pasa?

Running Rev'd

Bucci, the Flow is nice, but it took me a little while to get used to it after running in more cushioned shoes. I didn't fall in love with it at first, but I've grown to like it a lot. I haven't run farther than about 6-8 miles in them though.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

SMART Approach

I liked the Ghost 2s and Ghost 4s and LOVE the Ghost 5s. One of the best shoes I have had and lighter than the previous versions. They have a roomier toe box and a bit more cushion than the 4s. I am loading up on this one.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Christirei

I wore through two pairs of the Ghost 3's and loved them, switched to the Ghost 4's when my running store stopped stocking the 3's...I am now in my second pair, but definitely preferred the 3's. Now reading this about the 5's makes me think that it is time to change shoes. I have read about the Launch...maybe it's worth it to order a pair online and see how they work out??

I liked the Ghost 2s and Ghost 4s and LOVE the Ghost 5s. One of the best shoes I have had and lighter than the previous versions. They have a roomier toe box and a bit more cushion than the 4s. I am loading up on this one.

I ran in them again today, and I did notice the toe box does seem roomier.  Nice bonus !

- Anya

ERG

I have worn the Ghost 3, Ghost 4 and Ghost 5. The 5 is the lightest of the bunch, and has been made more flexible.  Although all three shoes are neutral trainers, the 5 is the least stable. Perhaps that's what you are noticing about the ride.

I liked them out of the box - have about a hundred miles on mine now and am still enjoying them. 

I wrote a review on them HERE (sorry for the unrelated stuff in that post Smile )

xor

Highlight the thing you'd like to be the link, and then click the icon that looks like a chain link.  Put the url in the appropriate place.

ERG

Thanks! I missed it the first time Smile

The Thunder

Launch, Flow, Glycerin, Ghost... neutral cushioned shoes.

Ravenna... kinda chunky stability shoe.

Que pasa?

I wouldn't call the Ravenna a chunky stability shoe.  Brooks would call it a "guidence" shoe.  Not a stability shoe...and the medial post is tiny, and a very thin sliver that's inserted into the midsole.  Probably doesn't do a darn thing.  Any neutral runner could run in it.  The bigger concern would be how the last fits the particular foot. 

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…