First long run (Read 696 times)

Quinn8580

OK so my girlfriend and I are training for the San Diego marathon and today is our first "long run". it's only 7 miles, but it's cold and snowy outside. I hate the cold! Who doesn't, right? Well, I just wanted to know what people do to push on when the weather conditions are not ideal. Wish us luck! ~Quinn Cool
    invisible

OK so my girlfriend and I are training for the San Diego marathon and today is our first "long run". it's only 7 miles, but it's cold and snowy outside. I hate the cold! Who doesn't, right? Well, I just wanted to know what people do to push on when the weather conditions are not ideal. Wish us luck! ~Quinn Cool
      Sorry, but I love cold weather. The colder (to a point) the better. I don't like being cold for the first 10 minutes, though, as is purveyed in so called running wisdom. Do 20 hard push ups before you go out the door, overdress and practice timely venting. I'm taking it for granted that you have the technical apparel required.
      90 percent of the game is not giving up.

Renee the dog

On really cold days, I put my socks on the heat vent for 5 min. before heading out. Makes for a nice toasty start to my run. For me, I hate having my rear-end cold, so I wear shorts over my tights. And, hat and gloves...always necessary. Then a couple of shirts...but no much else. Other friends run in several layers and jacket in the same weather... You'll figure out how to get your gear right for an overall comfortable run, and then it gets easier! We postponed our morning run today to try and catch a rainy run this afternoon. So, you may eventually get to the point where you like running in "bad" weather. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

layers of technical fabrics is the key. I'm amazed at how comfortable I feel in the cold weather when I'm properly dressed for the run. Also running in adverse conditions toughens the mind.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            I don't know where you are running, or how cold it is, but you can run in almost any weather if you prepare a little. Tips from Canadian runners: 1) Make sure your head, neck and throat are covered. 2) Put Vaseline on your nose and chheks to prevent frostbite. 3)Wear windpants over track pants over tights. 4) Wear double gloves so you can take off one pair as you warm up. 5) As suggested above wear technical fabrics at least for the lower layers. 6) Put salt in your drinks so they don't freeze after the first hour.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I'll take a cold run any day over one in the hot and humid weather of summer. You can always add layers as the temps drop but you can only take so much off in the summer. The only thing I don't like about the cold is slush covered roads. My last three runs have been in ankle deep slush and it looks like tomorrow will be the same. It does give the legs a good workout though. Tom
                I'll take a cold run any day over one in the hot and humid weather of summer. You can always add layers as the temps drop but you can only take so much off in the summer. The only thing I don't like about the cold is slush covered roads. My last three runs have been in ankle deep slush and it looks like tomorrow will be the same. It does give the legs a good workout though. Tom
                Yes I'm with you, Tom. Today was a very slushy day here. I did my run in light wind and thick fluffy snow just at the freezing point. I felt warm as toast! And it was very pretty. Makes for a harder run which was also nice. I used a pair of socks that I bought at LLBean called Smart Wool. Despite the slush, my feet were toasty warm.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Quinn8580

My run was awesome! The cold weather wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We ran a little over an hour. The temp started around 33 and warmed up to 40 by the time we were done. We were both dressed in technical shirts, pants and gloves which really helped! Thanks for the advice. I think I like the cold weather runs, but it'll be better when this snow melts completely! I hate slush and wet sandy sidewalks.
                    When running in cold weather, I always make sure that I can get warm coffee and sit in a comfy chair after. That's my motivation to finish. My motivation to start any run is that I KNOW I will feel 100% better if I run that if I don't because when I don't I will regret it and tell myself all day that I should have run.
                    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

The Greatest of All Time

The cold is always bearable if you have the right gear and it sounds like you do. Two weeks ago I ran the 8 mile loop through a nearby forest preserve which would have been lovely...start before the sun rises, finish just when it's coming up, nice ponds to look at, plenty of deer....but there was about 4 inches of fresh snow on the trail which SUCKED. I hate running in snow. Ice...forget about it. Back when I was really hard core we used to screw sheet metal screws into the bottoms of old running shoes which works great on icy, snowy roads and sidewalks...not anymore. I am spoiled by the nice treadmills in the warm gym these days.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        The only thing I don't like about the cold is slush covered roads. My last three runs have been in ankle deep slush and it looks like tomorrow will be the same. It does give the legs a good workout though. Tom
                        I'm sharing your pain, I'd much rather run in temps 5 - 20 degrees below freezing than temps at just above freezing. I just can't keep the feet dry in Slush, just like sticking your foot in Ice water for over an hour or so. Now does anyone know how to keep your feet dry when running through a couple of inches of slush snow and water?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

What happened...Double post and Double reply?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Lots of good advice on how to layer up - I don't really have anything to add on the subject of clothing. Keep in mind that the treadmill may be an option. I know many folks who would rather brave absurd conditions than TM. I was certainly like that for some time. This past year I became a bit of a weather wimp and have done quite a bit of treadmill running, up to 13 miles in one session. Not fun, perhaps not ideal, but I got the mileage in and that's what counts.