Walking a Marathon within Six-Hour Cutoff (Read 143 times)

Stevepf

Injured runner able to walk but not run. Signed up for a marathon prior to the injury. The thought occurred to me that I might be able to walk it and get in under the six-hour time limit. Is this reasonable? Six hours is 13:43 pace. In training, I’m able to maintain 13:20 over five miles without struggling. Of course, with running, there are equivalency calculators indicating by how much pace drops off with increasing distance. But I’ve not been able to find such a calculator for walking.

I also have the option of dropping down to the half-marathon with a 3.5-hour limit, which would be easy for me to complete.

Normally I wouldn’t worry about it, except I am one of those going for a marathon in each of the 50 states. So if I don’t get this one knocked out now I’ll have to go back at some point.

Thanks!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is there a 6-hour pacer? Can you run/ walk? How flat is the course? What will be the expected temperature? Road or trail? Concrete, asphalt, or some grass?  Crandic marathon in IA has a 6hr cut-off. I am planning on a run/walk. It will be tight. Downhills and concrete are not my friends. These are the questions I ask myself. I will register on the last day available.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Stevepf

Is there a 6-hour pacer? Can you run/ walk? How flat is the course? What will be the expected temperature? Road or trail? Concrete, asphalt or some grass?  Crandic marathon in IA has a 6hr cut-off. I am planning on a run/walk. It will be tight. Downhills and concrete, not my friends. These are the questions I ask myself. I will register on the last day available.

Pacer - they have them but unknown if one will be six hours. Run/Walk - no, just walking. Gently rolling terrain with no significant hills. Temp s/b low 60s. Asphalt 100%.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In my experience it would be very hard to maintain what is a comfortable pace for 5 miles for as long as a marathon, especially if you haven't been walking for longer times consistently.  You have only a 23 second leeway in pace and that's not a whole lot.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Is the injury one that could be made worse by the 6 hours of walking?

It seems like a bad idea. A 13:43 pace is slow for running, but fast for walking. Hard to imagine maintaining that pace for 26.2 miles unless you’ve been training for it. Regardless of pace, that’s still a long way to walk, if you haven’t already been walking long distances regularly. For me it’s harder to walk 5 miles than run 10, since I’m more used to running and the mechanics are slightly different.

But I guess it can’t hurt to try, unless to HCK’s point, it does.

Dave

Stevepf

No. This has been cleared by my physio.

Is the injury one that could be made worse by the 6 hours of walking?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I have seen walkers doing 5Ks and I think some doing a half but never considered that anyone could walk a full marathon and come in under six hours! I'm sure it's possible and that it has been done, but since you have never done it before I have to be skeptical if you can maintain the 13:43 for the marathon distance. Do you have the option to choose the half at some point during the race or do you have to commit to the distance before the start? If you can choose then at the split you can make the judgement if you can continue on at the required pace or opt for the half.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                  Get up, get out, get out of the door!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...but never considered that anyone could walk a full marathon and come in under six hours! I'm sure it's possible and that it has been done...

Top race walkers approach 3:00 but it would be rare to see sub-6:00 among recreational walkers.  Generally those marathons that advertise as being walker friendly have cutoff times of 8:00 or more.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I did the Pro football hall of fame at a 12:30 pace(5:30) for  11 miles using a half-marathoner as my pacer. I could not hold the pace on my own after the split. By mile 17 I was running 13:56 on average ( 6:05). I decide to walk/run the last  9 miles. Finished in 5:57:15. My airfare,  Airbnb, and race were nonrefundable so I had nothing to lose. I repeated MO because a stayed with the half. It was a good call as  I witnessed my friends struggle in the heat. I would not have made the  6:30 cutoff. I know someone that can walk 26.2 ln under 4 hours but he runs a BQ time at most of his races. Whatever you decide ENJOY!

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

camronwhite66

I am extremely disappointed. I like to play football, but my low stamina prevents me from joining my team. As a means of improvement, every morning before I start my duty time, I run at civil engineering firms brisbane. However, I need a mentor to help me.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Did you intend to post to this forum?

I am extremely disappointed. I like to play football, but my low stamina prevents me from joining my team. As a means of improvement, every morning before I start my duty time, I run at civil engineering firms brisbane. However, I need a mentor to help me.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

xxxxx

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

gorunn12

I'd drop to the half.  We have a half marathon in town here, my wife walked & I ran, she was a bit over the 3.5 and we were worried about the last place and keeping folks/volunteers out there but everyone was real supportive and upbeat. Great experience, we're doing it again this year.

I think in your case, pushing it through the marathon will encourage another injury.  Rehab and continue your 50 state marathon goal. Nicely done!

I had plantar fascia injury in 88 after a half marathon and was entered in NY Marathon.  They gave me automatic entry into 89 race, and I ran it with no injury!  That was my last marathon I did it was such a great experience

berylrunner

Rick

I wouldn't do the race.  A DNS is better then a DNF.  To hit that time you would have to do a little jogging.  I am a good walker (power hiker in ultra runner terms)  and can only manage a 14mm pace.

Heal up.  Plenty of time to run marathons in the future.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59