Meb cheated (Read 1434 times)

C-R

Heh. You're incorrigible.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Funny stuff!
      jdmcgregor

All business

I love the Onion, but Meb would totally beat that horse in a 26.2 mile race.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Hey, nice marmot!

Added Wittenberg, "Also, just before the start, he lifted up his tail and loudly deposited a 9-inch-high pile of steaming fecal matter on the pavement, an unusual occurrence even in the world of long-distance running."

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Best Present Ever

the last bit about Paula was more painful than funny to read, though.
              I love the Onion, but Meb would totally beat that horse in a 26.2 mile race.

It would not be the first such race.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

not funny
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                DoppleBock

Sometimes the onion is funny and others not - This time not so much

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

Yeah, not funny.

I really enjoyed how, in DC, the onion is a physical paper and has little newspaper machines.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Yeah, didn't like it much either.

Now, "Pissed off, Skinny, Distance Runners Challenge CNBC Reporter to a Cage Fight" has a nice ring to it.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                        Ok, it could have been funny in a different situation, but when I realized it was a spoof I felt more a sense of relief than a desire to laugh. Meb's story was one of the more inspirational I've heard in a long time. When you add to it his display of emotion at the finish...well...I didn't want the headline to be true...kind of a sick feeling.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I thought it was funny.

Related to other posts, Meb's accomplishment was absolutely awesome. How exciting!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ok, it could have been funny in a different situation, but when I realized it was a spoof I felt more a sense of relief than a desire to laugh. Meb's story was one of the more inspirational I've heard in a long time. When you add to it his display of emotion at the finish...well...I didn't want the headline to be true...kind of a sick feeling.

Absolutley.  I moused over the link, saw that it was the onion, and breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Runners run

I had the same feeling as Jim but to be fair to the Onion it was Trent's link title and subject heading that was alarming. The Onion headline is just typically Onion:

New York Marathon Winner Tests Positive For Performance-Enhancing Horse

Unless Horse is still a popular street name for heroin I doubt anyone will be mislead by that headline....

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.