Running my first half later this year and need a plan (Read 49 times)

Gorris317

Like the title states, I'm running a half later this year and I'm looking for a plan to follow. I just started running again in November. Not looking to run a certain time just looking to finish in under 3.5 hours. Currently I'm running about 10 miles a week and working on losing the extra weight that I have gained. Any help would be appreciated.

an amazing likeness

Recommend you investigate the Higdon half marathon plans to see if something there doesn't fit well.

I do have to react to your 3.5 hour goal and note an easy walking pace of 3 miles in an hour would meet that goal, so do you actually need a running plan, or would daily, brisk walking meet your objective better?

The most important resource you have is time. 11 months gives you a lot of time to build endurance and exceed your goal. Good luck!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm a fan of the Higdon plans Milktruck suggested. While you are working on picking a plan, try to work on getting out to run 3-4 times a week and even try walking on your non-run days. You can do it.

(And feel free to join the Half Marathon training group we have here on RA. We'd love to chat with you as you train for your first.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gorris317

Recommend you investigate the Higdon half marathon plans to see if something there doesn't fit well.

I do have to react to your 3.5 hour goal and note an easy walking pace of 3 miles in an hour would meet that goal, so do you actually need a running plan, or would daily, brisk walking meet your objective better?

The most important resource you have is time. 11 months gives you a lot of time to build endurance and exceed your goal. Good luck!

Just looking to finish without walking. I'm aiming low and should be able to come in way under that. I will take a look at those Higdon plans. Thanks a lot.

running metalhead

Instead of recommending a plan here you have a full list with all the plans. The sites states that these are marathon plans, but there are (obviously) versions for all distances from 5k (oe even less) to the marathon (or even more). 

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

There is a nice table that gives you an helicopter view of all the plans with their features and most of the plans are discussed in their own wiki page.

This guy Fellnr is also a treasure trove or useful info.

Enjoy.

E

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)