Running with torn rotator cuff (Read 81 times)

McShane

Dear Forum,

I have a minor tear in my left rotator cuff and begin therapy this week. I will ask my therapist - no surgery is recommended at this time,

but I am hoping to be able to run with this, although it does feel akward, I am thinking I could run on treadmill or someother gym exercise to keep in shape. I am trying to avoid falling on it, so running right now in New Englan dis a no go.

Thanks for any thoughts!

TB

HermosaBoy

I ran for quite a while with a tear.  My only extreme pain was when I tried to do things with arms above my head.  Running was not an issue.

After my surgery -- I was back to running in a couple of weeks (after I got out of the sling).

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

an amazing likeness

Yeah, it's the falling you'll want to be really careful about -- there's no way to stop yourself from instinctively flinging out your arms as you go down, unless you put the arm in a sling.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I had a shoulder issue (frozen shoulder, with calcified tendonitis).

I could run a mile or so, a couple of times a week. More than that was just so painful it was untrue. The constant jarring of running just transmitted and magnified.

I could ride my bike, so i did.

After a bit of therapy, I started elliptical work, and that REALLY helped.

Right now I think the elliptical is probably the best bet for you. It works the shoulder without really putting a strain on it/

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

spinach

I had a torn rotator cuff and it didn't affect my running at all.  Well maybe in one strange way, below. I had to have surgery and I scheduled the surgery so that  I could get in a couple marathons before the cuff was fixed.  I never thought about not running because of the tear and only a couple times while running did I notice the tear, usually when i did something strange with my arms.

The one way it did affect my running was that I had the surgery about 4 weeks before the Twin Cities Marathon, a race i was registered to run.  The doctor wanted me to wear the arm immobilizer for a month after the surgery and I was considering running the marathon with the immobilizer.  But when I talked To the doctor he thought that was a very bad idea, because it would have affected my stride and the the large number of runners in the race and my off stride, I would have been more likely to bump into someone and fall and mess up the shoulder again. So the tear, and its repair, kept me out of that race