Running first thing in the morning (Read 1895 times)

Hi guys! I'm relatively new to running (since the start of October this year) and am trying to work towards the Melbourne (Australia) half marathon in October 2008. I'm running first thing in the morning (like, 5:45am) because that's the only time I've got... My question is two part: 1. How can you ensure you are properly hydrated when you roll out of bed and into your running clothes, and 2. I've reached the 10km/1hr mark, and am thinking I should probably start bringing water with me on my run. What is the best way to do this? I hate carrying things when I run. Thanks for your help!
      Hey -- welcome Smile 1. I don't drink anything if I'm running in the morning (I um, tend to have to pee pretty quickly). If it's hot out, I'll have one 8 oz glass of water. 2. Check out this thread for a discussion of fuel belts. FWIW, I don't carry water on runs that length, unless it's really hot.
      2009: BQ?
        I also run first thing in the morning. Here in South Florida it is always hot. The evening before a run I try to drink alot of water. Also I keep a water bottle bedside. In the morning, I drink a few ounces of gatorade and swig some water just before i run. If you don't like carrying a bottle or using a fuel belt try to choose routes that pass water fountains. There is nothing like starting the day with run.
          Hi Astro Morning is my favourite time to run. My morning routine for a long run (15 - 20km) is 5:00 AM Get up 5:05 AM Breakfast of Muesli, Yoghurt, and a glass of water 5:15 AM Fill Camelbak with about 1 litre of water 5:20 -5:25 AM visit toilet (Muesli seems to get things going nicely) 5:30 AM Out the door A lot of people don't like eating that soon before a run, but it seems to suit me - as long as it's light. I make sure I drink a reasonable amount of water the evening before. Of course that means I'm likely to wake up at 2:00AM with a full bladder, but I can live with that. Last night I ran a route that had a couple of drinking fountains on the way and so I was able to leave the Camelbak behind. I prefer not to carry extra weight if I don't have to. Is that an option for you? Geoff

Geoff

First thing first.... Geoff.... your nick name must be Business... because Geoff Means Business I run first thing in the AM. Up at 5 and out the door by 5:15am. I don't carry water with me because my weekday runs are not more than 5 miles. I do find that if I keep myself well hydrated during the previous day I don't have any issues with hydration on my runs. On most mornings I do drink 10oz or so of water before I leave. Cheers, Jason

Another Passion

I simply have 8 - 12 ounces ( less than half a litre or so) of water before I run. I don't take any fluids with me on any run under 10 miles. Don't seem to have a problem with dehydration. Like most of the others, I try and make sure I am well-hydrated the night before. Good luck in your training! Wink

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

First thing first.... Geoff.... your nick name must be Business... because Geoff Means Business
                Jason - it has been suggested that I should have called at least one of my kids Dubious, Devious or Various. But I'm not that mean Smile Geoff

Geoff

mikeymike

Everybody has their own ritual for morning running and you need to figure out what works for you. I'm generally a 5:45am runner too and I just mix a ~12 oz. glass of gatorade and drink that while I'm getting my shoes on etc. Sometimes I'll wash that down with a half a glass of plain water. I don't carry any water when I run and some of my morning runs get up to 14 miles if I'm training for a marathon--on warm mornings in the summer I might stop at a water fountain at a park or somthing but this is not an option in the winter. I'm usually pretty dehydrated when I finsh but it's not a big deal. I just rehydrate when I'm done over the next few hours.

Runners run

I don't have much to add other than that's basically my routine as everyone states here except that if I am going to be running for an hour I'll generally eat a small breakfast first. Actually, I usually eat a small breakfast first anyway when I run in the morning. I don't like not eating my first breakfast as soon as I get out of bed. I'll have another one after my workout. Big grin

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not a morning runner, but when it was hot weather and I worried about dehydration, I liked to drink right before going, and fill and leave a water bottle on the front porch, and go out for a mile or so, come back, and drink and hit the bathroom if necessary, and then go out for the real run -- that way I had a chance to empty my bladder for the last time needed. I only worried about dehydration when it was hot or very warm. I keep forgetting to research if dehydration is still a problem in cold weather?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I only worried about dehydration when it was hot or very warm. I keep forgetting to research if dehydration is still a problem in cold weather?
                        It can be, yes. If you sweat more fluids than you take in on a regular basis, then you are setting yourself up for dehydration no matter what the weather. You still sweat when it is cold out and you are exercising (which is one of the reasons you can get so cold - the wind can freeze the sweat on your skin.) Most people just tend to sweat more when it is really hot, which is why it happens more frequently in hot and humid conditions. Being dehydrated when it is cold out is also less likely to lead into heat exhaustion (and more likely to lead to hypothermia.)

Run to Win

Thanks guys. There are a couple of water fountains I can run by, so that pretty much solves that problem!

flatland mountaineer

I don't worry much about hydration before my morning runs. For runs over an hour I really like this outfit. http://www.rei.com/product/750373 It fits above the waist in the small of my back.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't worry much about hydration before my morning runs. For runs over an hour I really like this outfit. http://www.rei.com/product/750373 It fits above the waist in the small of my back.
                              That's basically what I use. It's fantastic...easy to clean, no tubing to freeze in the Winter.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's basically what I use. It's fantastic...easy to clean, no tubing to freeze in the Winter.
                                You could try blowing air back into the tube to prevent freezing...

Run to Win