Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Just ran my first sub 3 this past Sunday(the 26th), The Nova Scotia Marathon in Barrington, this was my 14 full marathon, last year in Barrington I ran a PB up to that point with a 3:12:47, then another 3:12:17 last October in The Valley Harvest Marathon to qualify me for Boston, I put the extra training in for the Boston, I wanted a chance at a PB, had a great run with a finish time of 3:05:37, 4 weeks later I ran the Halifax Bluenose Marathon back here in NS, a much more technically difficult course, in a time of 3:06:30, with a little tweak I figured a sub 3 could be in the future, mabye late this year or next, well, this past weekend was feeling really good, set out a pace for 1:29-30 at the half and see if I could run an even split for the second half, managed to do so with quite a bit of effort the last 5-10 miles but I managed an even split and finished in a time of 2:58:07, twas a great day, the best run of my life, there is nothing, absolutely nothing like that feeling of strong in those later miles.
    spinach

roundthetwist 

Congratulations!  This was a good weekend.   That is a nice improvement over the year. 

kcam

Congratulations roundthetwist.  That is some really nice racing.   I'm constantly amazed by the different training people do to get sub-3, if your log is accurate I'm even more impressed!  Keep up the good work.
        spinach

Here is a report on my San Francisco Marathon.  my story
          DLJ

Roundthetwist,

Good going - another member of the illustrious sub-3hour club. Great effort on the negative splits.

Congrats RTT!   Tell me your log is not complete.  Please tell me that.

I'm off to read Spinach's race report.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Are we there yet?

I happen to be in San Francisco during the marathon and was able to run a couple miles with the crowd... man, you could not ask for better marathon running weather!! What a contrast to summer weather.

Congrats Spinach!! Most people slow down, get hungry, and lose motivation near Haight.. haha.

I agree with ksrunr.. please tell me you forgot to log several runs roundthetwist.... please!

kcam

Spinach!  Just read your RR.  Lots of interesting stuff in there.  I didn't realize you were a 50-54 AG runner.  You break 3 hours for the first time in your 28th marathon - highly unusual, means you have really stepped it up.  Won your AG two years in a row at SF. Frickin well done!

I believe you also are now the oldest graduate of the Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon thread.  Can we get confirmation on this, Jim?

Spinach,

Job well done!!!

I just knew you could do it.

Way to show the young guys how the older runners can still set new PR's!

I am so impressed!!!

Bask in this one, and recover well.

Hopefully, I can see you at a race soon back here in MN...

John

Congrats RTT!   Tell me your log is not complete.  Please tell me that.

I'm off to read Spinach's race report.

haha thanks guys, my log is complete, wasn't till after posted my sub 3 marathon results I took the time to fill it in, I had the last 2 months of running written on my calander (its a long story-wife and I seperated after 15 years -now THAT was a marathon, I had little access to a computer for that time so I just wrote my runs on the calander) ,some of you might have checked and seen all the blank, its all filled in now though, although I still only run about 3-4 times a week on avg.(35-45 miles total) I follow no specific training plan, I just know I need a weekly long(28-35km), a couple tempos(14km ones), mabye an easy run in there somewhere and thats about it, works for me. I also do some cross training but not much, swimming and cycling, since we split up I havn't been on my road bike since late May, like a fool I signed up for the Bridgetown Long Distance Triathlon, aka Half Ironman(happening tomorrow,Aug1), only one week since my sub 3 marathon, 1.9km swim, 93km cycle, 20k run should be quite an expirence, not sure if I am going for the adrenaline rush, the near suicide attempt it will actually be or its just my way of dealing with the stresses in my life at this time, all I know is I want another shot! I tell myself I just want the expirence of it but deep down I know I must be losing it, god help me lol

I hope to run another marathon late Sept. (Marathon by the Sea in St.John New Brunswick) I wouldn't mind another sub 3, perhaps I am getting greedy though.

thanks again all for the positive feedback., wish me luck and say a lil prayer to Jebus for me if you could

you may have noticed several big gaps in my log during July, one was an injury(of sorts-don't drink a case of beer and several shots of vodka on Saturday and expect to run 37km with ease on Monday) got a seriously bad cramp in my left hammy at the 34 km mark, brought me right down to the ground lol. The other gaps were rest days for the 2 races I ran in July, the first one was a PB in the 10k (38:41), the second was my sub 3 marathon.
                        DLJ

Once again congratulations to all those who had a good weekend last weekend. Also 'roundthetwist' sure you have done 14 marathons and I have done none but finally a log that I can relate to. Cracked 80km in the last week for the first time ever in my life - so you guys who are regularly smashing out 100+/km weeks I am unbelievably impressed, I do not know how you do it but it is awesome.

Some good runs this week:

1. 3km time trial in 10:17 (PR)

2. 25km in 1:59:30 - not long enough I know but gettting longer each week.

Beginning to think sub 3 hours in first marathon may have setting the bar a little high - but aim for the stars and all that. Will crack it eventually!

spinach

Well, I didn't make two sub 3s in fourteen days.  I ran the Paavo Nurmi Marathon today and came close but the hills over the last 5 miles did me in.  I ended up with a 3:01:24 time.  It was a fun race but the course was too tough for me today.

DLJ

Nice run Spinach! Despite not quite making the 2 x sub 3 hours still a very impressive couple of weeks. Congratulations
                              DoppleBock

Well, I didn't make two sub 3s in fourteen days.  I ran the Paavo Nurmi Marathon today and came close but the hills over the last 5 miles did me in.  I ended up with a 3:01:24 time.  It was a fun race but the course was too tough for me today.

Congrats on Paavo - I could not make the trip - You have secured your free entry again for next year (top 10 men and top 5 women)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !