GPS topic - Eric is gonna kill me. (Read 968 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

Done.

Robin

Wingz

Professional Noob

So, Eric: How close are we to our fundraising goal? Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Big grin Wingz - Growing kittens in the back yard now? Oh wait....is that a dryer?

Michelle

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, you know how much cats hate getting wet... Evil grin Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

eric :)

We are now up to $350. I've been checking out 'em Macs on Ebay and watching 'em Mac spoof ads on youtube. Pretty funny stuff. Can any Mac guys recommend something decent for that much? We can go over because I'll be chipping in my share too. Anyway, thank you everyone for your generosity! You are the reason why this place is special! eric Smile
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good work folks, we are making progress. Don't listen to Eric, he has no business contributing to the cause, he already gives all his time! Eric, the Mac mini is perfect, small, powerful, Intel inside and reasonably priced.
              mikeymike

Eric, keep the $350 and get yourself something nice. Don't waste it on a Mac. Those things are toys. Mac people are used to not knowing if things will work on their platform, it's one of the reasons they chose it. Evil grin

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Unlike the PC platform, on which all the things designed specifically for it crash the system. Roll eyes (yes, I have several PCs as well) Wink
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Yeah but he already has a PC, probably more than one. Eric, get yourself a new iPhone! Or 1/4 of a 32" LCD HD TV with 3000:1 contrast ratio! Or a new set of cookware! Or 5 pair of running shoes! C'mon, you've earned it. If these suckers want to send you their money you should take it and run. Evil grin Clowning around

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't bother with an iPhone. It remains vaporware. I prefer callit iCandy. The Mac Mini? One of the cheapest, fastest PCs around when running Parallels. Oh. And it also runs Mac OSX natively Cool
                        eric :)

Yeah but he already has a PC, probably more than one. Eric, get yourself a new iPhone! Or 1/4 of a 32" LCD HD TV with 3000:1 contrast ratio! Or a new set of cookware! Or 5 pair of running shoes! C'mon, you've earned it. If these suckers want to send you their money you should take it and run. Evil grin Clowning around
                          You shouldn't be encouraging me. The GPS work is a little harder than I expected (probably because I don't know enough about the USB protocol). Topped with the thought of developing on a Mac, it feels like I'm preparing to run a 100 miler with Lynn - I'll get to the finish line, but I'll be cussing and hurting much of the way. The money's specifically for the GPS project and if I do anything else with it I'll like the US Congress people, earmarking it for other purposes. We all know how annoying that is. By the way, we're up to $410 as of this morning. Trent: I do like the idea of a mini because it's small. I have no need for another big thing in my tiny living room. I'm searching Ebay as I type this. Something like this Apple Mac Mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo would be nice. It also has the correct OS version for the development tools I've found.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, looks good. I wonder how they can sell it less than the $599 retail. Confused If you want to put Windows on it, that requires an OS install disk and Parallels (~$80). I assume you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. If not, you can get a switch to flip an existing set between the Mac and a PC without replugging everything back in. Mac will soon come out with the next OS, 10.5, possibly in June. You may elect to upgrade to that (or wait for it), which will be a few more bucks too.