2017 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 295 times)

I was just curious is all.

Julia1971

I have a non-running related question...

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.  Too much standing or walking for the Friday before race day?  I'm trying to figure out if I want to come up on Thursday afternoon and do that on Friday morning.  Or, save that for some other time.

robwantstorun

I have a non-running related question...

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.  Too much standing or walking for the Friday before race day?  I'm trying to figure out if I want to come up on Thursday afternoon and do that on Friday morning.  Or, save that for some other time.

We did that last year.  It was a lot of time of my feet, but I don't think it had an impact on my race.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yes.  Not sure why you're asking but if it's because I have a medal, the race sent registrants their medal and shirt.  Runners who returned to run the next year also got a rubber bracelet with New York City Marathon 2012/New York City Marathon 2013 imprinted on it.

I have my '12 medal too.  I ended up running 26.2 in Central Park that race morning with 10s of thousands of other runners who'd come to NYC to run the marathon.  Considering the marathon was originally in Central Park, it counts as a finish as far as I'm concerned.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

I have my '12 medal too.  I ended up running 26.2 in Central Park that race morning with 10s of thousands of other runners who'd come to NYC to run the marathon.  Considering the marathon was originally in Central Park, it counts as a finish as far as I'm concerned.  

I wish I'd been there for that...  I wasn't wise enough at that point to realize I needed to come up on Friday, so I hadn't left for NYC before they cancelled the race.  I ran 26.3 in my neighborhood that day wearing a shirt that said "Run Anyway".  It was one of the most emotional runs I've ever done.  So yeah, I feel like I earned mine too.  Smile

Wow, just saw RWOL killed all the forums, so much good info in the NYCM forum over there gone.

Julia1971

We did that last year.  It was a lot of time of my feet, but I don't think it had an impact on my race.

Thanks!  I decided to go up a day early and visit.  I was too late to get a ticket to go up to the crown in the Statute of Liberty.  I wouldn't have thought you needed to book that so far in advance!

Julia1971

Wow, just saw RWOL killed all the forums, so much good info in the NYCM forum over there gone.

Do you remember some of the information/advice that was valuable?  If there's something of general interest, I can add it to the main post.

PhD Wil

I was on the Who's In NYCM forum over on RW and the Turtle Room, but there gone now. Most of the Turtles came over to RA. Running NYC again with, but AC comes fisrt in two weeks.

rainydayrunner

RW transplant here.  Looking forward to running NY again this year!  (I ran it 3 years ago during the crazy winds!)  I'm coming solo from Vancouver, BC -- arriving early Friday morning and staying until Tuesday evening.  I'll hit the expo straight away on Friday and get that over with.  Other than that, have made NO plans so far -- I'll just see where the wind takes me.  Did 20 miles yesterday and felt pretty great.  2 more long runs till taper!!  Can't wait!!!  It's too early to start obsessing about the weather, right ?!

Julia1971

RW transplant here.  Looking forward to running NY again this year!  (I ran it 3 years ago during the crazy winds!)  I'm coming solo from Vancouver, BC -- arriving early Friday morning and staying until Tuesday evening.  I'll hit the expo straight away on Friday and get that over with.  Other than that, have made NO plans so far -- I'll just see where the wind takes me.  Did 20 miles yesterday and felt pretty great.  2 more long runs till taper!!  Can't wait!!!  It's too early to start obsessing about the weather, right ?!

This year, I think worrying about the weather is fair game.  It's been very warm on the east coast.  We're still experiencing summer-like temperatures and humidity!  I'm worried it'll cool down but we'll finally get rain.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It has been really absurd weather-wise here in NYC. I feel like a day in the mid 60's is cold when that's actually average.

At this point, something in the low 60's with low humidity would be "ideal" weather for the race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

PhD Wil

This will be my third NYC and the weather usually calms down by (with the exception of Sandy) race day. I'm doing AC in 10 days and that one has me nervous.

This year, I think worrying about the weather is fair game.  It's been very warm on the east coast.  We're still experiencing summer-like temperatures and humidity!  I'm worried it'll cool down but we'll finally get rain.

nycjournalist

Hello all,

I apologize for the spammy-esque post. I don't know many runners, so my pool of sources is pretty limited. I figure I'd take a chance on here.

I am a journalist & CUNY grad student working on a story about runners who entered via lottery for the marathon this year. It doesn't matter if you got in or not, but I'd like to include a variety of experiences.

I want to know what your experience entering the lottery was like and if you've tried to get in previously.

For NYC locals, hopefully I could meet you in some place you train so I could take photos, too. I would talk to you mostly before the marathon and hopefully a little bit the day of, too.

Please reply and I will give you my linkedin account so you know this is legit.

Thanks!

Allie

Julia1971

In case you somehow missed the email, we got our wave and corral assignments today.

I'm Green Wave 1 Corral E.  I'll miss the view from the Verrazano-Narrows again this year.  But, I think the incline was less steep, so there's that.