Running while on Vacation (Read 1253 times)

Okey, So in May my wife and I are traveling to Eastern Europe and are going to be gone for 26 days, returning on June 8th. I’m planning on running a ½ marathon on July 6. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to maintain the hard earned mileage and fitness I’ve worked up to since January? I’m planning on doing shorter runs in the mornings when I can, but the reality is is that I won’t be able to get in those long run days or do anything near the weekly mileage I've built up to. Is it a good idea to do a lot of 20 mile long runs and high mileage weeks in the next month or so to carry myself through this vacation? You know you’re addicted to running when you have this awesome trip scheduled and you immediately think to how your training is going to suffer.
      Where you decide to stay will probably have the greatest influence on your running. I spent 2 weeks in Europe (Switzerland and Italy) this past summer, and I only remember getting out for 3 runs. Outside of having too much stuff going on, I found some urban environments were just too busy to get in a decent run. Eastern Europe… Well, I’ve never been out that way, but in Zurich I met a running couple from Latvia who had done the Munich Marathon. By the way, I want to know what those folks in Estonia are drinking and eating because I shot the bull with 2 couples (late 30s) from there in Italy and dang were they young looking. Have a safe trip!

Vim

#artbydmcbride

You should try to get some 14 mile runs in during June. I think it would be a great way to discover new cities while on vacation. (Be careful though)

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Run faster than normal. You get more bang for your buck out of faster workouts, and if your overall mileage is lower than usual you won't really get any extra fatigue.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

When I vacation, the only goal/objective/outcome I try very hard to achieve is not gain weight. Have a great vacation!
              I usually end up walking around so much on vacation that my "mileage" doesn't suffer--I also have just accepted that I get cranky and unpleasant to be around if I can't run, so I get up and do it early. Even if that's at 5am. I actually think, even in urban areas, running is an awesome way to explore. I was in St. Petersburg last summer for a month and got to see corners of the city probably missed by most tourists--and got in lots of miles in the process. Good luck and have fun!

Queen of 3rd Place

I had three really light weeks in a row recently - two, because I was ill, then the third week went on vacation. Came back and felt great, although I gave myself a few weeks to ramp it back up. The rest seemed to do me good. Have fun! Arla

Ex runner

Run faster than normal. You get more bang for your buck out of faster workouts, and if your overall mileage is lower than usual you won't really get any extra fatigue.
                  I think that doing that would be a mistake, and would be inviting an injury. I'd stick to what's working already.
                  Is it a good idea to do a lot of 20 mile long runs and high mileage weeks in the next month or so to carry myself through this vacation?
                  No, it's a bad idea. If you aren't ready to do those multiple 20 milers, then you shouldn't just jump into them. If you do, then you probably won't have to worry about getting runs in because you'll be more worried about recovering from hopefully only minor aches and pains. Looking at your log, you could certainly handle a few 20 milers, but I wouldn't try to do something like running one every single weekend while ramping up all of your mileage. Just keep yourself as well trained as you can through April and early May, and when your trip comes along just get out to run when its convenient. If you detrain a little, it won't be the end of the world. You'll have a month to get some of that fitness back and if it doesn't come completely back then you'll just have to run a little easier. As apparish mentioned, you should hopefully be walking around enough that you'll be getting in some good cross training that does translate pretty well to running. If you have the option and can convince your wife to forgo the taxi, then make an effort to stay on your feet when heading to places. Personally, I find that you get to know a place you are visiting a lot better on foot than from behind a window anyway, but my wife and I are both pretty active and enjoy walking around places.
                  You know you’re addicted to running when you have this awesome trip scheduled and you immediately think to how your training is going to suffer.
                  Sounds pretty normal to me...

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

To put it bluntly, you are screwed. You'll be taking off the very time when your training mileage should be reaching a high and if your vacations are anything like mine, trying to find time to do any running will be tough. It is a really bad idea to try and increase your long runs before you go. You can't store the benefits of a long run and trying to radically increase their length and number will likely get you injured. It's time to call of the half and sign up for another when you'll have time to train for it without interruption. Postponing a race is tough to do, but it's a lot better than attempting one under-prepared and getting hurt (ask me how I know Wink). Tom
                      Thank you for the advice everyone! I think I've had my main questions answered. Specifically that it would be a bad idea for me to break with my present training regime. I plan on progressing (SLOWLY) to 60 mile weeks by the time I leave in May. The HM I am running June is not my "cumulation race" of the year. For that, I'm hoping to run a BQ full marathon in the fall! I will probably still set a PR for my HM, despite the month of travelling, simply because my training this year has been way more disciplined and intense than I've ever done before. In fact I didn't set a PR for my HM! I will try to maintain 25-30 mile weeks while on vacation. Hopefully I can just wake up really early and do several 5 milers or so a day, which hopefully won't impact travel plans. The highlight of the trip is a 6 day Kayak tour through an island in Croatia. Only 5% of the places we vist there are inhabited, so I'm hoping that there will be some pretty awesome hiking/running trails. Some pictures: Thank you everyone for your advice and taking the time to answer me!

Feeling the growl again

I think that doing that would be a mistake, and would be inviting an injury. I'd stick to what's working already. No, it's a bad idea. If you aren't ready to do those multiple 20 milers, then you shouldn't just jump into them. If you do, then you probably won't have to worry about getting runs in because you'll be more worried about recovering from hopefully only minor aches and pains. Looking at your log, you could certainly handle a few 20 milers, but I wouldn't try to do something like running one every single weekend while ramping up all of your mileage. Just keep yourself as well trained as you can through April and early May, and when your trip comes along just get out to run when its convenient. If you detrain a little, it won't be the end of the world. You'll have a month to get some of that fitness back and if it doesn't come completely back then you'll just have to run a little easier. As apparish mentioned, you should hopefully be walking around enough that you'll be getting in some good cross training that does translate pretty well to running. If you have the option and can convince your wife to forgo the taxi, then make an effort to stay on your feet when heading to places. Personally, I find that you get to know a place you are visiting a lot better on foot than from behind a window anyway, but my wife and I are both pretty active and enjoy walking around places. Sounds pretty normal to me...
                        How exactly, when overall mileage is significantly lower, is running a little faster than normal (we're not talking intervals here) going to invite injury? Excuse me if I sound a little sarcastic as I do not mean it that way, but are you saying there is a set pace and you should never vary things by straying from that? The additional rest from reduced overall mileage doesn't let you go any faster?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Non ducor, duco.

Some pictures: Thank you everyone for your advice and taking the time to answer me!
                          OMG that is beautiful!
                            www.runtheplanet.com
                              See if the hotel(s) you are staying in have a fitness center.

PR's
                              800: 2:38|1600: 5:18|3200: 11:55|3 mile:19:07

Go Pre!

My advice is try the best you can to follow your schedule, and ease back into the regular schedule upon your return.... We just got back from sunny FLA, found a great trail on the west coast, the Pinellas Trail. Built over top of an old railway. Here's the whole story click. It is a sanctuary of lush greenery, yet you are always near a water source and toilets, very nice) We got a run in every other day. 4 runs including our 20 milers. By the way, people, big images bust out these pages, here's a tip (<)img src="YOUR URL" width="500px"></)img> but no brackets around the < the="" result="" for="" the="" image="" above="" would="" be="" ...="" />