Weight Loss and hip bursitis (Read 126 times)

Bluejayfeather

So, I have bursitis in my hip, which causes some pain when running.  I weigh about 190 pounds.  Would losing weight be likely to help the hip?

yes

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Bluejayfeather

Any idea of where my goal weight should be to help my hip?  I am about 5'8".

138 if you're a woman, 148 if you're a man.

https://www.verywellfit.com/ideal-weight-calculator-chart-3878254

I'm about 20lbs overweight according to these charts. I raced in college at about 160lbs, which is still overweight according to these charts. Muscle weighs more than fat, so perhaps these charts are for common, ordinary people and not athletes.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Bluejayfeather

140 was already my goal.  So it is a good one!  Thanks!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

138 if you're a woman, 148 if you're a man.

https://www.verywellfit.com/ideal-weight-calculator-chart-3878254

I'm about 20lbs overweight according to these charts. I raced in college at about 160lbs, which is still overweight according to these charts. Muscle weighs more than fat, so perhaps these charts are for common, ordinary people and not athletes.

It's weird, because the table they include in a link is for men and women. It shows the weight for either gender as 144 for a BMI of 22.  They're not consistent.

Marylander

Here's a BMI calculator: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

BMI is generally fine for those not carrying a bunch of extra muscle as compared to average folks.

Gabrielson

Hip bursitis can be linked to / caused by iliotibial band (ITB) syndrome. I have had hip bursitis several times over the years, and have found the strengthening exercises in the link below to be very helpful in resolving the issue.

https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

I have integrated these into my weekly strength routine over the past few years, and have been free of ITB / hip bursitis issues since then. Hope you find this helpful. Good luck!

Bluejayfeather

Thanks Gabrielson.

I have investigated the link you gave me, and last night I did 4 or 5 reps of each exercise.  However today my hip is more sore than usual.  Is it important to start slowly?  What counts as slow?  I would have thought 4 or 5 would be slow enough???

Bluejayfeather

I read somewhere to start doing exercises every other day.  So I am doing Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Is this a good idea?

Gabrielson

Hi Bluejayfeather,

Yes, I think starting slowly is important. If it seems that the exercises are aggravating your hip bursitis, I would recommend taking a few days to a week off from everything (running and the exercises), then try starting the exercise routine again. I am not a doctor, and don't want to steer you down the wrong path, so if you think these exercises are having a negative impact, I would stop and see a doctor or physical therapist for advice on your specific condition.

The idea behind this hip/glute/thigh strength routine, as I understand it, is to correct muscle strength imbalances in the upper legs (or maintain correct muscle strength balance), which in turn should make your IT band loosen up, and stop rubbing/putting pressure on your hip bursa.

If you are able to perform the exercises without pain / aggravating the hip bursitis, then I think doing them Monday, Wednesday, Saturday is a good idea. As previously stated, I would use caution, and seek professional help if you think these exercises could make things worse. As I recall, when I had these issues, I usually saw a decent reduction in hip pain within two weeks of doing the exercise routine 3 times per week.

Best of luck!

Bluejayfeather

Hi Gabrielson,

So, I've been doing the IT band exercises you recommended.  I also went on the StrengthRunning site and found a Core strength routine that he highly recommends to also strengthen the body to run more safely and injury free.  So I do one of them MWF, and the other TThSa.

It's early days...  and I'm still only doing 3 or 4 repititions of each exercise, so very small amounts....  but I think I'm seeing a lessening in the hip pain.  I'm so excited!!  I want to run farther and faster than I have been, and I'm finally hoping that I'll be able to do that.  It has been 3 years of hip pain for me.  Not severe, maybe 3 or 4 on a scale of 10, but still enough to slow me down, and to cause me concern about the long term health of my body.  Anyways, thanks!!

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Thanks Gabrielson.

I have investigated the link you gave me, and last night I did 4 or 5 reps of each exercise.  However today my hip is more sore than usual.  Is it important to start slowly?  What counts as slow?  I would have thought 4 or 5 would be slow enough???

Try the masking tape exercise of this article. It will teach you the proper use of the femur. IT Band issues are the top reason for SEAL candidates to drop out.

https://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Gabrielson

Hi Bluejayfeather,

That's great that you're seeing an improvement in your hip bursitis! Glad I could help!

The core routine is definitely a good idea too. In addition to doing the ITB routine I sent you once a week, I also do two core / basic strength days each week. I will check out what he recommends for core on StrengthRunning, and might tweak my routines to add in any exercises I might be missing.

Keep with it, and increase reps as you when you feel comfortable as you gain strength. Staying injury free is probably the most important factor in getting faster and more fit, and I've found that strength exercises like these are really important for injury prevention and correction of strength imbalances that lead to injury.

Best of luck and happy running!!

Hi Gabrielson,

So, I've been doing the IT band exercises you recommended.  I also went on the StrengthRunning site and found a Core strength routine that he highly recommends to also strengthen the body to run more safely and injury free.  So I do one of them MWF, and the other TThSa.

It's early days...  and I'm still only doing 3 or 4 repititions of each exercise, so very small amounts....  but I think I'm seeing a lessening in the hip pain.  I'm so excited!!  I want to run farther and faster than I have been, and I'm finally hoping that I'll be able to do that.  It has been 3 years of hip pain for me.  Not severe, maybe 3 or 4 on a scale of 10, but still enough to slow me down, and to cause me concern about the long term health of my body.  Anyways, thanks!!

losing wt will make a difference but strengthening is the way to go. i'm 140lb, didn't do enough strengthening and mine went chronic (it was ITB which I thought was hip buritis). That doesn't mean I can't run, I just have to KT tape up my hip on hard runs and runs > 6miles or it flares up for a few days - week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFHjZCox0s

Now KT tape isn't a cure-all and doesn't work great for some maladies but it works well for the hip/IT band, oh and you can buy generic KT tape on amazon (most of the generics are as good/better than KT).  Also w/ KT tape you might be pain free but still do the strengthening.

Also remember, running doesn't run off weight immediately. New runners may lose some fat but as a new runner you are also building muscle.