Data in uploads from Garmin has changed (Read 106 times)

ejhill

Hi,

Starting on Feb 22 I have noticed 2 things have changed in the data uploaded automatically from Garmin:

• The total time for the activity (and also the laps that make up the total time) does not exclude time when the watch is stopped.  For example, if I start the watch and run at 7:00 min/mile pace for a distance of 1 mile, but take a 3 min break in the middle of that mile, it used to show up as a 7:00 min mile whereas now it shows up as a 10:00 min mile.
    • Lap times for activities are not correct.  To me, it looks like they are now based on "moving time" from Garmin rather than the actual time.  I noticed this when doing intervals: if the actual time for an interval was 30s and the Garmin "moving time" was 28s - previously the time of 30s would be the lap time on upload but now it is 28s.  In this way, I cannot actually see my true splits on a workout anymore.

I also upload from Garmin to Strava so I did a test to see if this change is on the Garmin side or the RunningAhead side.  On Strava, nothing has changed in the data - the problem is isolated to RunningAhead.  To test, I can actually export from Strava to RunningAhead.  So basically I tested 2 data flows:

• Garmin -> RunningAhead
    • Garmin -> Strava-> RunningAhead

On Garmin and Strava the data appeared correctly and only on RunningAhead (in both cases) did the split times use what appears to be the "moving time" data.  I wouldn't call this conclusive or anything, but it seems to indicate the issue is in RunningAhead's interpretation of the data.

Thanks for any help you can provide.  Again, I can pin point the change to Feb 22ish - was there a software change around then?

I am happy to point you to examples in my uploaded data for before/after illustrations of the issue.

HermosaBoy

Hi,

Starting on Feb 22 I have noticed 2 things have changed in the data uploaded automatically from Garmin:

• The total time for the activity (and also the laps that make up the total time) does not exclude time when the watch is stopped.  For example, if I start the watch and run at 7:00 min/mile pace for a distance of 1 mile, but take a 3 min break in the middle of that mile, it used to show up as a 7:00 min mile whereas now it shows up as a 10:00 min mile.
      • Lap times for activities are not correct.  To me, it looks like they are now based on "moving time" from Garmin rather than the actual time.  I noticed this when doing intervals: if the actual time for an interval was 30s and the Garmin "moving time" was 28s - previously the time of 30s would be the lap time on upload but now it is 28s.  In this way, I cannot actually see my true splits on a workout anymore.

I also upload from Garmin to Strava so I did a test to see if this change is on the Garmin side or the RunningAhead side.  On Strava, nothing has changed in the data - the problem is isolated to RunningAhead.  To test, I can actually export from Strava to RunningAhead.  So basically I tested 2 data flows:

• Garmin -> RunningAhead
      • Garmin -> Strava-> RunningAhead

On Garmin and Strava the data appeared correctly and only on RunningAhead (in both cases) did the split times use what appears to be the "moving time" data.  I wouldn't call this conclusive or anything, but it seems to indicate the issue is in RunningAhead's interpretation of the data.

Thanks for any help you can provide.  Again, I can pin point the change to Feb 22ish - was there a software change around then?

I am happy to point you to examples in my uploaded data for before/after illustrations of the issue.

It seems like your first two bullets contradict themselves?

• In bullet one, you are saying you ran for 7 minutes with a 3 minute break.  Moving time is 7 minutes, but it is showing up as 10 minutes?
      • In bullet two, you are saying the moving time was 28 and it is reported as 28?

Do you want moving time or clock time?

Or am I reading things wrong?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

ejhill

Apologies - I realize it reads that way.

The first bullet refers to situations where I am stopping the watch.  Basically, imagine you're just out on a standard easy run and you stop for the bathroom for a few minutes.  In that situation, I stop my watch.  So, if I'm running 7m pace and stop for a 3m pit stop, I get a 10m mile in there.  Garmin and on Strava show this as a 7m mile since I stopped the watch.  Until recently on this site showed it as a 7m mile.  But recently it shows it as a 10m mile.

The second bullet refers to situations where the watch is continuously running but I'm manually taking splits with the lap button.  This one is the one that is the real problem for me.  If I'm doing reps on the track I want my lap splits to be the actual time recorded.  Example: a workout this week was 200m reps.  The splits were 30s and this is what I see on the watch, on Garmin, and on Strava.  But on the upload to this site, some of them show faster times - like 28 or 29.  Those faster times exactly match up with the "moving time" field on Garmin.  I think "moving time" is some fancy feature of Garmin where they try to gauge when you stop for traffic lights, etc and remove it from your run.  When you're doing intervals clearly this isn't of any use.  But, it has always been totally moot until now.

The situation is a bit frustrating - I have been uploading from Garmin to this site for 5 years and it all of a sudden switched to this way of doing things.  I love this website's log functionality, but if I can't get this fixed, I will need to move elsewhere :-(

My guess is something changed on RunningAhead rather than Garmin b/c Strava didn't also start picking up these issues on Feb 22.

ejhill

Also, I should be perfectly clear about how my data gets uploaded from Garmin to RunningAhead:

On Garmin Connect, I click "export to TCX" to get the data from Garmin to my PC

Then on RunningAhead, I use "Upload from File" with the type set to TCX and upload the file

an amazing likeness

I would suspect that Garmin has changed the TCX file structure when you export the run from Garmin Connect rather than the change being an update on RunningAHEAD.  I've not heard that the RA importer was changed recently.

Have you considered setting up the native integration between RunningAHEAD and Garmin Connect to eliminate the export to TCX and import to RA?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ejhill

I considered that possibility but Strava didn't have any difficulty with the TCX files.  Also, if I were Garmin, it isn't something I would do b/c of backwards compatibility issues.  If it was Garmin tinkering with TCX formats, then Strava was clearly made aware of it ahead of time.  Presuming Garmin did change .. wouldn't RA have to change accordingly also if they want to use Garmin data?  What's the alternative ...

As for native integration - I use Chrome and I don't think it is possible - is it?  Back in the day I used the plug in with Firefox but that was years ago.

I'd like to post screenshots of the issue, b/c I think it would help.  But the insert picture button doesn't seem to allow me to upload photos.

mikeymike

I don't get it. Why don't you just enable Garmin Connect integration with RunningAhead?

That's how I'm set up and I'm not seeing it's issue.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

I considered that possibility but Strava didn't have any difficulty with the TCX files.  Also, if I were Garmin, it isn't something I would do b/c of backwards compatibility issues.  If it was Garmin tinkering with TCX formats, then Strava was clearly made aware of it ahead of time.  Presuming Garmin did change .. wouldn't RA have to change accordingly also if they want to use Garmin data?  What's the alternative ...

That's just speculation on my part as Garmin does have a history of changing file formats (they're just xml files).  Yes, RA would need to react, so I fully expect Eric, RA's owner and developer will have you send him of your TCX files.

As for native integration - I use Chrome and I don't think it is possible - is it?  Back in the day I used the plug in with Firefox but that was years ago.

You're thinking of a direct upload from your Garmin to RA.  The integration with Garmin Connect at RA is similar to other sites like Strava -- the data you upload to Garmin Connect is integrated to RA.  Check out Training Log --> Tools --> Applications.

I'd like to post screenshots of the issue, b/c I think it would help.  But the insert picture button doesn't seem to allow me to upload photos.

You can link to photos posted on a photo hosting site via the "picture" icon to the left of the happy face in the toolbar.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ejhill

You're thinking of a direct upload from your Garmin to RA.  The integration with Garmin Connect at RA is similar to other sites like Strava -- the data you upload to Garmin Connect is integrated to RA.  Check out Training Log --> Tools --> Applications.

Yes, that was what I was thinking of.  I had no idea the other way existed!  For years and years, I've been exporting and importing as I described.  Doh!  This is much easier.

I just did a test - I started my watch (I'm just sitting on my couch) and ran it for 10s, stopped it for about 10s, and ran it for another 10s.  The data that came through to RA correctly showed 20s of activity rather than 30s!  So, as long as I use this method for getting the data, I think I should be ok.  I'll confirm when I do an actual run again ...

Thanks!

ejhill

Just to close the loop - I can confirm that the issue I was seeing was strictly limited to the TCX manual file upload.  If I pick up the activity from Garmin in the automatic way and also manually download/upload the TCX and compare them side-by-side, the manually uploaded TCX version had the previously mentioned problems while the other one did not.  Try it for yourself ...

So, there are 2 possible things happening:

1. Garmin's export TCX functionality had a bug introduced to it last month
                      2. RA's manual file import of TCX had a bug introduced to it last month

At this point, I don't really care either way since my problems are solved by simply using the automagic way of getting my activities from Garmin to RA.  This way is sooo much easier, also, so I'm stoked to use it from now on (I'm such a bonehead for manually uploading for years now!)

Regardless, I'm posting the info here in case an admin wants to investigate - this info should hopefully help narrow things down for you.

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts!