Dromomania (Read 28 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I just learned a new word, and immediately thought of the biggest group of dromomaniacs I know!  Big grin See definition 2.

dromomania

PRONUNCIATION:

(droh-muh-MAY-nee-uh)

MEANING:

noun
    1. A compulsive desire to travel.
    2. An excessive enthusiasm for running.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

The dromedary, or Arabian, one humped camel, has a common linguistic root! Both can be traced back to the ancient Greek word "dromos" meaning racing, a race course, a track or race. Thought to stem from the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European  word "drem" which means "to run."

Also of interest, the example of the use of the word provided in the link you gave comes from science fiction author Harlan Ellison! I've met him in person at comic book conventions. Perhaps he is best known for the original Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever" where Kirk, Spock and McCoy travel back in time to pre-WWII earth.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Annataliax

The dromedary, or Arabian, one humped camel, has a common linguistic root! Both can be traced back to the ancient Greek word "dromos" meaning racing, a race course, a track or race. Thought to stem from the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European  word "drem" which means "to run." we become what we behold

Also of interest, the example of the use of the word provided in the link you gave comes from science fiction author Harlan Ellison! I've met him in person at comic book conventions. Perhaps he is best known for the original Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever" where Kirk, Spock and McCoy travel back in time to pre-WWII earth.

I don't think this is the exact definition of it