2022 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

delicate flower

<3

Ian5

Baboon-What time is 2/5 based on,could give me an idea how far to go back.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

delicate flower

Baboon-What time is 2/5 based on,could give me an idea how far to go back.

I was assigned that wave based on my time of 3:18:53.  I submitted an updated time of 3:15:15 but they didn't change my corral assignment.

<3

Ian5

Thanks a lot that's really helpful as I'm thinking I'm I'm 3:15-20 shape so gives me a good idea.

delicate flower

Thanks a lot that's really helpful as I'm thinking I'm I'm 3:15-20 shape so gives me a good idea.

Everyone takes off like gangbusters at the start anyway.  That'll be a corral full of 7:30/mile marathon runners and the crowd will be moving at a 7:00 pace the first couple of miles.  The trick is to just run your race without worrying about hundreds of people flying past you.

<3

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wave 1

Corral 6

I was lead to believe, in the Marathon Training thread, this is pretty good.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Perfect timing. Not due to the event being bombed previously, but as a reaction to events elsewhere occurring. Even with no credible threat to the event. No need to increase police for safety of the event due to the bombing a few years ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boston-boost-police-presence-subways-brooklyn-shooting-rcna24183

Boston officials will increase the number of police around subway stations ahead of Monday’s Boston Marathon after a mass shooting in a New York subway but stressed there was no known threat to the race and voiced confidence in it going ahead.

A gunman wearing a gas mask set off a smoke bomb and shot 10 people in a New York City subway car during Tuesday’s morning commute, authorities said. None of the wounded had life-threatening injuries, they added, and a manhunt for the perpetrator was underway.

There is no known credible threat to the marathon. Like everybody else, we’re monitoring the situation in New York,” Boston police Superintendent-In-Chief Gregory Long told a news conference on Tuesday, adding that his department had been in touch with their New York counterparts and the FBI.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

M_M_C

See y'all there. Good luck everyone!

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Ian5

Weather has turned for the worst in the last day or 2,headwind towards the end now.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather has turned for the worst in the last day or 2,headwind towards the end now.

Best Boston forecast in, what, 7 years? Come on now.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Boston Marathon Weather Forecast: Running Conditions Nearly Ideal

What does a meteorologist know about running anyways?

Hard to believe that it has been over 1,000 days since we last had a Boston Marathon in the spring, on Patriot’s Day. Perhaps in that absence, some may have forgotten just how hard it is to get an uneventful weather day this time of year! The last two April Boston Marathons have had rain, including a record amount of it back in 2018. The rain wasn’t nearly as disruptive in 2019 but combine that with the warm temperatures (the high in Boston was 70) and conditions were far from ideal.

To find “ideal running conditions”, and obviously that would vary depending on upon who you ask, you really have to go back to either 2016 or 2014…both were dry, but I bet many would protest that both were a bit warmer than they would like.

Let’s face it, whether you are running or not, getting a perfect weather day in Boston in April is tough business. This time of year, our nice weather is sometimes measured in the span of a few hours, not days. Be it rain, wind, cold or even snow…we have seen it all in the 125 prior Boston Marathons.

Having said all that, I am starting to think that MAYBE, just MAYBE, we could get an ideal weather day on Monday. What is ideal? A little research shows that most runners prefer temperatures somewhere between 44 and 59 degrees. More specifically, between 49-52 degrees.

I think Monday could fall right in that wheelhouse! Here’s the latest

6AM Monday (sunrise 5:58am)

Hopkinton:
                        Sky Conditions – Mainly clear
                        Temperature – 37-40
                        Wind – Northwest 4-8mph

Boston:
                        Temperature – 40-44
                        Wind – Northwest 4-8mph

9AM Monday (Start of wheelchair divisions)

Hopkinton:
                        Sky Conditions – Mainly clear, some high, wispy cirrus
                        Temperature – 48-52
                        Wind – Light & variable, shifting to northeast

Boston:
                        Temperature – 48-52
                        Wind – Light & variable, shifting to northeast

Noon Monday (Nearing the finish for Elites, Red Sox game underway)

Hopkinton:
                        Sky Conditions – High cirrus clouds streaming in and thickening
                        Temperature – 53-57
                        Wind – Southeast 4-8mph

Boston:
                        Sky Conditions – High cirrus clouds, still plenty of sunshine
                        Temperature – 46-50 (cooler due to wind off the Ocean)
                        Wind – Southeast 6-12mph

3PM Monday (Lots of folks crossing the finish line, Sox game likely over)

Boston:
                        Sky Conditions – Thickening high cloud deck, sun likely visible but fading
                        Temperature – 46-50
                        Wind – Southeast 8-16mph

VDOT 53.37 

xhristopher

The last two April Boston Marathons have had rain, including a record amount of it back in 2018. The rain wasn’t nearly as disruptive in 2019 but combine that with the warm temperatures (the high in Boston was 70) and conditions were far from ideal. 

Try as I might, I can't remember rain in 2019. The 70 degrees at the end kinda sucked tho.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Try as I might, I can't remember rain in 2019. The 70 degrees at the end kinda sucked tho.

There were thunderstorms on the way to the village! I was actually unsure what they would do if they kept happening, I can't imagine they would have started the race (but would it have been delayed?). It was raining in the village, but stopped by race time. But then yeah - it got sunny about an hour in, and by the end, it was 70, humid, and sunny. Sadly, Boston weather had been so terrible that was the best conditions over the past few years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

xhristopher

There were thunderstorms on the way to the village! I was actually unsure what they would do if they kept happening, I can't imagine they would have started the race (but would it have been delayed?). It was raining in the village, but stopped by race time. But then yeah - it got sunny about an hour in, and by the end, it was 70, humid, and sunny. Sadly, Boston weather had been so terrible that was the best conditions over the past few years.

Interesting. I must have been passed out sleeping on my club's coach and completely missed it. Dry race in my book.

I do like some light rain in a marathon. 2015 was the last Boston weather that really worked for me. People complain about the rain that year but I loved it.

+1, but we finished around the same time (IIRC within seconds). I was told later that rain started shortly thereafter, while you were passed out on your team bus and I was temporarily immobilized on top of the foil blanket in my hotel bed.

There were thunderstorms on the way to the village! I was actually unsure what they would do if they kept happening, I can't imagine they would have started the race (but would it have been delayed?). It was raining in the village, but stopped by race time. But then yeah - it got sunny about an hour in, and by the end, it was 70, humid, and sunny. 

Yep, leaving the hotel for the buses around 7-7:30, the rain was coming down in buckets. It ended by the time I got to the village, but maybe you were in an earlier wave. Of course it had already rained enough for a major mud pit situation. But I already felt warm at the start - it was about 60 and humid - which did not bode well for the rest of the day..

Dave