1600/3200 Track shape (Read 384 times)

HermosaBoy

It's easier on the kids if you use some of the less-meaningful meets as workout replacements, and don't run them down with too many events.

Agreed!

First meet of the season coming up this Friday.  I told them to expect to run two events, but that we are treating them more as workouts and training through them.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Interesting thread and discussion.

Skyline Track that was a solid start. If you can, definitely cut back on the number of races. Once in a while triple events are okay (all in one day), but just a couple times a season. Quad? Early on as workouts and then some championship level runners will load up at their regional and state meets.

Your workouts do suggest sub 4:50 and 10:20s shape (give or take), but don't leave it all on the training session. You train to race, to prepare yourself to know what you're getting into. That is don't let the workouts become ends to themselves.

Hi mikey mike. We knew each other in a different forum, from a different time. I also saw that you were in Bend in Dec. Here too.

Hi mikey mike. We knew each other in a different forum, from a different time. I also saw that you were in Bend in Dec. Here too.

Hello there, trackrat! As soon as I saw your avatar picture I knew it was from Bend. That corner definitely left an impression. That's Ricardo Chalmers from Dirigo RC out of Maine right behind you--I was talking to him at the fire pit after the race.

Runners run

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The problem was we did a dual meet on Tuesday, intervals on Thursday, and an invitational on Saturday.... Big grin

That was an issue only for my top runners since we were limited to 2 entries per event at the invitationals. My solution in most cases was to instruct my top runners to run a specific pace regardless of place or to run only hard enough to win in the dual meets. Since I did treat most dual meets as workouts, they also doubled or tripled in them, but ran only one event at the invitationals unless they were also in a relay.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

great to see you here mikey! and still running and working with the next generation.

I thought the entire course left an impression, like footprints on my back! It was an intense and difficult race, but a lot of fun. Did you write a race report? I ran most of the race within 5 or 10 sec of your friend from Maine.

Hello there, trackrat! As soon as I saw your avatar picture I knew it was from Bend. That corner definitely left an impression. That's Ricardo Chalmers from Dirigo RC out of Maine right behind you--I was talking to him at the fire pit after the race.

SkylineTrack

The meet this week went really well.

It was great weather for the 3200, very little wind and around 45 degrees or so. The timer said we went through the first lap in 74, but I think he started his watch like 2 seconds late because in the results my time was 2 seconds faster than what me and my coach got. I relaxed in the pack for the first mile. Leaders went through in 5:08-9 and I was 5:13. Soon after a good portion of the pack began to drop off. I hung on in 3rd and was forcing myself to bide my time until 600 to go to make any sort of move. But with 800 the leader made a big move and I wound up hanging on for 3rd. The results said I ran 10:23.6, but I think it was more like 10:25-26. The guys in front of me ran 10:13 and 10:17.5. Again I kept pace over the last couple of laps but I just don't have any kick right now. Was at 9:30 coming in the last lap so I still had a 76 or so last lap. Overall I was really happy with how this race turned out.

The 1600 was maybe 2 hours later. The weather got a bit colder and the wind picked up some, but it wasn't as bad as last week. I started out in the middle of the pack in about 74. Stayed in the pack through 800, but I don't remember my split, probably 2:29-30ish. Then a put in a surge for the third lap to try and chase down the leaders and came through 1200 in 3:43. Faded a bit the last lap but hung on for a 7th place finish. Results said 4;59, I thought it was 5:01. Then I ran another 4x4 in another 59 split and went for a 2 mile cool down afterwards.

No track meet next week over spring break, so we'll either replace it with a 5k or maybe some track workout. But in 2 weeks is our first invitational and I think I have a good shot to get into the mid-low 10:10's in the 32. Still hanging around 45 miles a week.

SkylineTrack

Whoops I meant I came through 2800 in 9:10

not 9:30

Just a dude.

The meet this week went really well.

It was great weather for the 3200, very little wind and around 45 degrees or so. The timer said we went through the first lap in 74, but I think he started his watch like 2 seconds late because in the results my time was 2 seconds faster than what me and my coach got. I relaxed in the pack for the first mile. Leaders went through in 5:08-9 and I was 5:13. Soon after a good portion of the pack began to drop off. I hung on in 3rd and was forcing myself to bide my time until 600 to go to make any sort of move. But with 800 the leader made a big move and I wound up hanging on for 3rd. The results said I ran 10:23.6, but I think it was more like 10:25-26. The guys in front of me ran 10:13 and 10:17.5. Again I kept pace over the last couple of laps but I just don't have any kick right now. Was at 9:30 coming in the last lap so I still had a 76 or so last lap. Overall I was really happy with how this race turned out.

The 1600 was maybe 2 hours later. The weather got a bit colder and the wind picked up some, but it wasn't as bad as last week. I started out in the middle of the pack in about 74. Stayed in the pack through 800, but I don't remember my split, probably 2:29-30ish. Then a put in a surge for the third lap to try and chase down the leaders and came through 1200 in 3:43. Faded a bit the last lap but hung on for a 7th place finish. Results said 4;59, I thought it was 5:01. Then I ran another 4x4 in another 59 split and went for a 2 mile cool down afterwards.

No track meet next week over spring break, so we'll either replace it with a 5k or maybe some track workout. But in 2 weeks is our first invitational and I think I have a good shot to get into the mid-low 10:10's in the 32. Still hanging around 45 miles a week.

This sounds almost exactly like what your workouts were predicting. You'd probably be at least 5-10 seconds faster in the mile fresh.  That kick will come in as you sharpen later in the year I bet.

Keep up the good work. Sounds great!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

This sounds almost exactly like what your workouts were predicting. You'd probably be at least 5-10 seconds faster in the mile fresh.  That kick will come in as you sharpen later in the year I bet.

Keep up the good work. Sounds great!

-Kelly

+1.  Out a bit quick on the 3200 but nice negative splits.  If you really run a race that long well you won't have much of a kick left.  huge kicks mean you left something out there earlier in the race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SkylineTrack

Yeah I was pretty happy with the result. I just felt like I should've had another gear near the end of the race with how comfortable I felt 5-6 laps in. But I guess that probably isn't completely realistic to expect when I came into the race on tired legs to start off with. But I'm also pretty happy that I'm able to hang fairly close to a top 15 xc guy from our state meet whereas in cross I was around 45 seconds behind him.

joescott

Congrats on the nice races, the 3200 especially!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

SkylineTrack

So last week was spring break for me so I doubled on a few days and got in 50 miles. Today we did 1.72 mile loop hard and then 12x200 afterwards. I did the 1.7 hard in 9:12, ~5:20 pace or so. About 10 minutes later I started the 200's. Our team does them from the middle of the backstretch to the middle of the homestretch and then walks back across the infield as recovery, ~45 seconds. I did them all in 33-34 even though it was a little bit of a snowstorm by the end (thanks Idaho!). This week I'll have a few 9:50-10:00 guys to race against and I think I'll shoot for about 10:15 and then see how I feel for the 16.

Just a dude.

Hmmm... if you are racing against those guys, you might want to try to stick your nose in there and see if you can't compete effectively. At least, don't walk up to the starting line shooting for 4th or whatever. Be kinda smart about it, but if they don't go out crazy fast, you may want to mix it up with them.

If they do go out crazy fast, be smarter and relax the first 800 and then reel them in.

I'm just saying, don't walk up to the starting line already thinking you can't win, or that you have to follow some pecking order... It is a race after all... Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

HermosaBoy

I'm just saying, don't walk up to the starting line already thinking you can't win, or that you have to follow some pecking order... It is a race after all... Wink

-Kelly

Agreed -- if you can get out comfortably hard and still be in contact, take a shot and be a contender!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SkylineTrack

Well Eliajh Armstrong, who was I think 6th at footlocker nationals, showed up and that kinda messed my race plan up a bit. I stayed back early on and reeled in the people who chased after elijah in the middle laps. Splits for me were about 1:14, 2:33, 3:51, 5:08-9 and then I even split again and finished 3rd in 10:15.4. Got out kicked in the last 300 but I felt really good and really in control for most of the race. Mile should be comming up in a couple of hours, want to run around a 4:50 or so.