How in Hades does one set intervals on a Timex Ironman watch? (Read 1133 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the ability to set 2 different interval timers (Ironman Triathlon 50/100 watch), but when I try to set multiple intervals within timer I can't figure out how to set more than just the first interval. The little instructions that came with the watch don't explain at all how to set more than one interval (kinda pointless not to include this with more detail in the instructions, IMO).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dang, Kirsten - you are driving me nuts. I had to get out my watch and I can't remember either!!! Believe me, I've been trying - lol - please post if you figure it out!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glad I'm not the only one! Everything else is pretty self-explanatory to set, but the intervals are not at all "user-friendly." k

~ Sarah Kay

instructions Was your model there? Found mine Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Chris UK

If you scroll down on this page there are some downloadable pdf manuals for the Ironman watch. No idea if they are any more detailed than those you already have though - http://assets.timex.com/manuals/?timexBrand=core Pipped at the post again Roll eyes Big grin

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, guys...I'm not having any better luck with the instructions from Timex's site. But I think maybe I misunderstood the features of this watch when I ordered it...? Sad I'm thinking maybe by having 2 settable intervals that each setting allows for only one time--not 2 separate interval workouts, as I had thought. So I think maybe I can only alternate between one time setting and a second. Which sucks...since I was hoping to be able to do some time interval workouts with a variety of timed phases. This guy has instructions for a similar watch that appears to have 9 interval settings. From his description I am now believing that the interval settings are just single timers: link k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is the instruction sheet for my particular watch, I believe (looks different than the one pictured, but mine is also a 50 lap Triathlon, so I think this is the same): instructions

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know, maybe I should just do this: using iPod as stopwatch That seems as good a way to do interval workouts as anything else. I guess the purchase of this watch wasn't a total waste--I couldn't do laps with my previous watch and I really want to be able to start looking at my pace each mile during races. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

timex Directions Are Decidedly unawesome. When I Get Back To My Computer Tomorrow I'll Type Out A Brief Tutorial.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, Jeff, does this mean that I can have more than two time interval settings for a given workout!? Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

yep. Those Are Actually Two Separate Timers. First One Is A Regular Old Egg Timer. Second One Can Have Up To Nine Different Segments.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What she's saying:
                          I guess the purchase of this watch wasn't a total waste--I couldn't do laps with my previous watch and I really want to be able to start looking at my pace each mile during races.
                          What she's thinking: WTF Jeffgoblue! Angry You're the one who talked up this POS! I oughta send you the bill! And what's with the instructions printed in hieroglyphics? Confused I'm sending Did down there on his bike to beat you down! Consider your ass kicked -- in a week or so! Evil grin 8 Ball OK, so here's the deal with this watch. It took me a little getting used to on mine (which I got last month), since they've changed it a little bit. I'm gonna assume yours functions the same as mine since they're both new. If that ain't the case, I don't know WTF we gonna do 'cuz I ain't got no connections at Timex! As I said above, there are actually two separate interval timers. The first is single-segment, the other is 9-segment. TIMER: You can set one interval, like a kitchen egg-timer. For running, this is a good timer to use for tempo runs, since those are just one continuous block of time. 1) Go to TIMER 2) Hit SET 3) You'll see 0:00:00 with the first zero (hours) flashing. On-screen, you'll also see "DONE", "NEXT", "+", and "-" next to the watch buttons. To increment or decrement the hours, hit + or - . Once hours are where you want them, hit NEXT. 4) The minutes will be flashing. Hit + or - to change them. If you hit - from 0, it will go down from 59. The the numbers will scroll fast if you hold down the button. Once you've got the minutes where you want them, hit NEXT. 5) Seconds will be flashing. Set them as above. Hit NEXT again. 6) You'll get an option that says STOP AT END. If you hit +/-, you will also have REPEAT AT END and CHRONO AT END. This gives you the option to have the segment go once and stop, repeat endlessly until you stop it, or kick into the stopwatch once the segment is done (this won't work if the stopwatch is already running). 7) Hit DONE once everything is set to your liking. I most often use the STOP AT END OPTION, but if you're doing something where you doing repeats of 3min hard + 3min easy, it's pretty simple to set 3 minutes with repeat on this timer instead of the multi-segment timer. I rarely use the CHRONO AT END option since my stopwatch is already running. It's nice to use if Domino's says they'll be there in 30 minutes -- as soon as 30 is up, the chrono kicks in and then you know exactly how late the pizza is. Tongue INTTMR Ok, this is the interval timer. This is the one you'd use if you wanted to set up this workout, for example. The setting of this timer is the same as above with one catch: When you hit set, you'll see 0:00:00 again, but above it, you'll see INT 1 with the 1 flashing. If you hit +/-, this number will increment/decrement from 1 to 9. This represents the 9 possible intervals you can set. So here's the procedure: 1) Hit SET. INT 1 is flashing. Use NEXT to jump down to the time, and use NEXT and +/- to set the time for the first segment. 2) after setting the time, hitting NEXT will get you to that REPEAT AT END and CHRONO AT END option. This applies to the entire set of intervals, not to any one segment. It will appear on every interval you set, but you only need to set it once. 3) Hit NEXT again and you're back to INT 1 flashing. Hit +, and it will show INT 2, and 0:00:00. Set as above. 4) Repeat above until all of the segments are set to your liking and hit DONE. BTW, holding down the button marked STOP/RESET will clear out all intervals and set them back to zero. So for this workout, set it as follows: INT1 = 0:05:00 INT2 = 0:05:00 INT3 = 0:03:00 INT4 = 0:03:00 INT5 = 0:01:00 INT6 = 0:01:00 and since the workout is 2x(5-3-1), I set the whole thing to do REPEAT AT END and just stop after 2 complete sets. I even tested this out this morning on the 2x(3-2-1) version of the workout. The watch performed flawlessly, but my hamstring -- not so much. Sad Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers, Jeff

mikeymike

So all of this is to avoid having to hit the "lap" button manually during the workout?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

So all of this is to avoid having to hit the "lap" button manually during the workout?
                              Room to talk, Mr. Garmin?
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, it's not as bad as it looks. If you actually type out every step of even the simplest tasks, you'll often find that you can get a pretty lengthy list in no time. Before Timex changed the button layout on me, I could set up intervals while running and without looking, so it just takes getting used to, methinks. In zoom-zoom's case, I don't even think she had a lap button to push on her old watch. Cheers, Jeff