obligatory introduction and question (Read 1959 times)

welp, i have been lurking around here for a little over a year and figured it was about time to overcome my anxiety and introduce myself (and ask for some advice).  so, "hi!" - after a long hiatus, i have returned to the world of running and have been at it for about 2 years now.  currently, I am getting about 30-35 mpw (my log isn't up on RA, yet) and lately, have been prepping for my first half-marathon on Feb. 6, though i am really more interested in some 5K's that are around the corner.

for about 3 weeks now, I have been battling some (what I think is) minor tendon issues on the inside of my ankles.  it really isn't super-bad and I have found that there is a certain point where it just doesn't get any worse, so I usually run through it and hobble around a little after.  I managed to get a long run of 14 miles in last weekend (at about 8:30 pace) and other than the ankles, felt pretty good.  with the HM 9 days away, I have been taking a few extra days off to try and rest the ankles, but they dont seem to be getting better.  again, not any WORSE, just not better.

so, I guess my question is, how much can I rest over the next week without loosing too much fitness for the HM on the 6th?  if I could get close to 1:45, that would be cool, but really, I just want to DO it.  any thoughts would be appreciated...

You won't lose two-year's fitness in a week.  Get better.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

You won't lose two-year's fitness in a week.  Get better.

Agree.  It takes a good three months off to lose your fitness.

Not at it at all. 

whoa - thanks for the quick replies (and confidence).  I guess i am just paranoid from taking this week easy and projecting next week to be the same...

xor

whoa - thanks for the quick replies (and confidence).  I guess i am just paranoid from taking this week easy and projecting next week to be the same...

When it comes to running (or anything you do, really), your body is a collection of different systems... and they lose "fitness" at different rates.  A few months for some things, a couple weeks for others.  So... you may not be as "fresh" on 2/6 as you would have been had you been able to approach the next two weeks differently.  BUT it's nothing even kind of like "you will have lost the ability to make the distance".  You will make it fine.  Whether 1:45 is a fair goal still kind of depends on information we don't have.

The thing is, none of that matters so much.  The one and only thing that guarantees "you will have lost the ability to make the distance" is hurting yourself in the next two weeks.  So taking the time to heal is the priority - you are doing what you need to do.

What is your race on 2/6?

yeah, that makes sense.  honestly, 1:45 is nothing i will cry over - i had a long run that i felt like i ran fairly easy and went through in about 1:54, so I just picked i "nice, round number" to focus on.

the race on the 6th is the Tallahassee (half) Marathon.

xor

Nice and flat.

Good luck!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

and, as I'm sure your lurking here has taught you, don't try to set the world afire in your first race.  Take it at a comfortable pace so you don't injure yourself.  You may surprise yourself anyway.

indeed!  i think that "conservative" will be my mantra.  thanks for the advice and well-wishes!

keeponrunning

No real advice, just wanted to say good luck and sweet profile pic! Smile

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

SMART Approach

A couple short slow runs will be fine. Even take day off before if you need to in your specific case. Start at comfortable pace in the race-not too fast

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

No real advice, just wanted to say good luck and sweet profile pic! Smile

thanks!  I have another one around here somewhere that I like a little better.  my hand kind of slipped when i reached around with the camera.

what chord is THAT?!

keeponrunning

thanks!  I have another one around here somewhere that I like a little better.  my hand kind of slipped when i reached around with the camera.

what chord is THAT?!

Haha one couldn't tell anyhow, seeing as the whole fretboard isn't in the photo, so it doesn't really matter.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Half Fanatic #846

the race on the 6th is the Tallahassee (half) Marathon.

I'll be running that one (HM) too - but way behind you!   I've run it once before, and it is very flat indeed!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

DoppleBock

Welcome out of lurking in the shadows of RA

I do not have any good advice

I get flat really quick

I can avoid some of this by low impact cross training

I tend to ignore injuries until they either go away or get really bad ... They used to go away, now @ 41 YO - THey seem to get really bad and end up taking time off.

Good luck in the 1/2 marathon ... get your log up here soon as most of us like to log stalk.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !