Light fast shoes (Read 128 times)

Pablo GZ

Hello everyone I'm new in the forum.

I'm also kind of new to running (used to ran many years ago in highschool) and started last November to train for my first Marathon. I'm training 4-5 days a week, most of the times tempo or quality runs. I'm quite slim now, 65-66 kg for a 1'80 m dude and running my fast pace around 3:30 - 3:50 min/km (last week PB 10K at 38:29 and 5K 17:50). Running with Asics Gel-Kayano 24 Lite Show, I'm overpronator, and around 300 km per month. I'm looking for something different because Kayano (320 g) is too heavy to push the pace properly and being thin perhaps I don't need so much cushioning. I'm thinking about New Balance 1500 v5 and 1400 v6, perhaps Saucony Kinvara 10 (concerned about durability on the Kinvara as I intend to use it as a trainer in rotation with Kayano and as racer). Any suggestions? Light, bit of cushion, responsive and durable. Any input is very much appreciate it.

Kinvara is considered a neutral shoe so depending on how severely you overpronate it might not be the right shoe for you.  It is light enough for racing though I've always used it as a trainer or tempo shoe moving to Saucony Fastwitch or NB 1400 as a racing shoe for shorter distance racing (I'm normally a neutral shoe wearer).  NB 1500 V5 would make sense for someone who needs some stability but I don't think I could get away with them as a trainer since it is more of a racing flat as well.  I guess if you're using it in a rotation it would be fine but I'm also reading most of your runs are tempo and quality which is foreign to me since most of my runs are easy with two "quality" runs a week.

In that lightweight trainer/protective racer category of <250 gram shoes, a couple Hokas come to mind, Clifton re-issue of the 1, and the Tracer2. Kinvarras would be fine, I haven't had any durability issues with mine. I almost exclusively wear Skechers running shoes now, and all of them are under 250 grams (except the MaxTrail). All the independent reviewers are raving about the Razor3 Hyperburst, I haven't tried a pair yet. Seems like the perfect shoe for your needs. The hyperburst material is now said to be the "best" midsole material regarding weight/performance/durability according to those who've tried it, and it's going to be in all the performance models soon. I'm really looking forward to the hyperburst MaxRoad4. Altra Escalante and Escalante Racer might work well for you if you can handle the zero drop. Sometimes that natural foot platform works better for pronators than a bunch of wedges and additives in the midsole.

Like Michael said, it depends on the degree of overpronation you have. If you have birth defect level of abnormality you might be stuck with corrective shoes, but most people diagnosed with "pronation" are perfectly fine with neutral shoes. They just might wear down a little faster than someone with true neutral gait (which is rare). I supinate, and the lateral heel outsole wears out before any of the rest of the shoe.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Pablo GZ

Thanks a lot Michael and Bill. The Skechers looks really fast, sadly size 10 is not available at the moment. The Altra is very nice too, not sure how would be to run with zero drop. The Hoka is light and I know this brand is one of the best on cushioning, it's just they always look very bulky except for the Hoka Carbon Rocket.

I also have in mind Brooks Pure Cadence 7 (250g) and Brooks Asteria (235g).

Looking bulky and being bulky are two different things. The Hoka styling exaggerates their stack height by wrapping the midsole material up on the sides of the shoe. For the Cliftons, it looks like 1.5" of "cushion" when in reality it's about an inch.

The Nike Vaporfly 4% and Next% are very soft, cushioned shoes. Probably more so than the current Cliftons. I know a guy who races 3k and up on the track in Vaporflys. I'd like to try them, but I'd never spend that much for a shoe. The Razor3 appears to be an ideal racer/trainer, the durability and lifespan are as good as any training shoe, yet it's as light as most racing shoes. I don't know how many miles you can get out of Vaporflys. The main problem with Skechers is you CANNOT FIND THEM IN STORES! You pretty much have to buy them online and hope they fit. Running Warehouse seems to have Razor3's in stock in different colors, you might look there.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marky_Mark_17

I’m a big fan of the Kinvara personally - brilliantly light, perfect for workouts and still with enough cushioning to use as a marathon race shoe. However they aren’t the most durable and I’m doing well if I get 300 miles out of a pair before they start feeling dead. I wait for sales and stock up when they’re cheap.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dcowboys31

I know nothing about pronation issues but you can find the Adidas Adios 3 for less than half off the original price and those are the best shoes by far, and I mean by a large margin than anything I have used so far. For long runs have Adidas Ultra Boost 4, Adidas Solar Boost, Brooks Glycerin. For fast runs Brooks Launch 5, Adidas Tempo 9. For racing Adidas Adios 3 have been the ones that have worked best. Again not sure if they would work with the pronation issues but you can get a pair so cheap it may be worth a try I am 6'4 and about 225 lbs and for 5K race distances or fast 4 mile tempo runs, these have been great.

Jay

Pablo GZ

Ended buying New Balance RC 1400 v5 NYC Marathon because were on offert. Didn't use them for my first race because wanted to train a couple of times before that. Well, I have to say they fit like a glove, amazing, no hotspots, nothing ... like a part of my legs. Very happy with the shoes, broke a few pb in my next two 10K races, 32nd/ 1100 runners, 37:27, and next race 12th/560 runners another pb with 36:57 for 10k in this race (Nelson Mandela Race in Madrid) also broke pb for 1k 3:12, 1 mile 5:19, 5k 18:00. Love my bright red running shoes! I can see more pb in the next months. New Balance racing shoes are quite good, better than expected. I'm a pronator, however It feels so natural the stride, enough cushion probably for a half marathon (I'm a lightweight 63 kg ). Thank you all for the input.

rahblah

Link spam