Come on, it's only the first mile! (Read 959 times)

Is it just me? At about the .25 mark, I find myself laboring for breath. I don't really get into my stride/breath until the 2nd or sometimes 3rd mile. I do consider the first mile my warm up, and go as slow as my body will let me, but for some reason I am breathing heavy almost all the way through it. Should I go even slower? Like I said, it does eventually even out and I feel best at about mile 3 or 4. Also, for racing purposes (5k), is there a good way to ensure my first mile isn't wasted on warming up? What are your suggestions for alleviating this? If I run a mile before the race, there will still be wait time until the gun... Oh, and as far as my log, I'm rebuilding after having the flu for 2 weeks, hence the inconsistency of the last few weeks. But I'm up to my 20 miles again, a goal I never thought I would reach! Yay for me? Thanks!

uncontrollable

Generally a warm up will have some lag between IT & the start of the race. It's just the way it is - it is still better to warm up either way. Obviously it's not ideal to warm up then stand waiting for the start for half an hour but 10 minutes of waiting for the gun after your warm up is OK. I get antsy after the warm up standing in the crowd so I tend to be one of those subtle 'shifting left to right' on my feet or slightly bouncing up and down people to keep the blood moving. When I don't warm up at all, which is rare, my first mile doesn't feel good. Confused

peace

jeffdonahue

Is it just me? At about the .25 mark, I find myself laboring for breath. I don't really get into my stride/breath until the 2nd or sometimes 3rd mile. I do consider the first mile my warm up, and go as slow as my body will let me, but for some reason I am breathing heavy almost all the way through it. Should I go even slower? Like I said, it does eventually even out and I feel best at about mile 3 or 4. Also, for racing purposes (5k), is there a good way to ensure my first mile isn't wasted on warming up? What are your suggestions for alleviating this? If I run a mile before the race, there will still be wait time until the gun... Oh, and as far as my log, I'm rebuilding after having the flu for 2 weeks, hence the inconsistency of the last few weeks. But I'm up to my 20 miles again, a goal I never thought I would reach! Yay for me? Thanks!
        I get the same thing for about the first 1/4 mile in a 5K. I feel out of breath a bit adn then settle in to my pace after that. I think it is probably the neves a bit and just the excitement of the start of the race. For my half marathon it lasted a little longer - probably teh first mile before I settled in nicely. For a 5K you might want to set your pace a little slow but I wouldnt use it for a warmup. To warm up for a 5K I usually do an easy 10 minute run about 20 minutes before the start and finish it off with 4-5 strides. In reality I should probably even do this closer to the start time. I have read that for a 5K you want to start the race with your legs already warmed up and your heart rate already slightly elevated.
          I go through that same thing. sometimes I don't feel as though I'm entirely comfortable until going into mile three. This is why I must do a warm up easy run of at least 15 minutes before shorter races.

Michelle

I'm glad to hear it's normal. It was actually the reason it took me so long to get into running...after a quarter of a mile I used to think, "It's already this hard, there's no way I can keep this up!" Not knowing that once you push through, it gets easier. Well, for the most part. Not to be trite, but I guess a lot of things are that way!

Double IPA Please!

Heh..some runs it takes me 3 miles just to warm up and find my zen.. Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

It ALWAYS takes me about 2 mile to settle down and find a good beat. I get frustrated a lot because I either start out with a cramp (even though I try elevating my breathing before runnign to get my diaphragm used to it) or I have to get back to the house quick and make dinner and go to work, I feel like i dont get a good workout unless i have off of work and can devote some time to running. My log looks horrible lately because I just havent had time to go out and get some miles in. I am getting soo frustrated. I only did 1 5k so far and i didnt do any kind of warm up. My next one I will try and do a 10 min easy jog to get my blood pumping and maybe get my usual cramp out of the way before the gun goes off. i feel your pain though
                Mr R

If you're doing a vo2max interval workout, it's usually the 3rd mile or 3rd km that feels the best. This is a good reason to warm up hard. I try to finish my warmup run within 10 minutes of the start. Then I do strides until about 30 seconds to race time. This procedure has always ensured that I feel very comfortable and relaxed in the early stages of my races.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Into the wild

I get this every time. I don't think it unusual and imagine it is simply the body getting used to the extra work you're demanding from it. It was the same when I swam regularly...keeping going through the first 200 metres, fighting for breath, was initially disconcerting but your experience tells you to hang on in there - all will be well Big grin

Shut up and run