New Shoes (Read 639 times)

How long should I run in my new Asics, I have an 18 miler this weekend.  Probably to much.

Some say that modern running shoes don't need to be broken in. I tend to agree.

Having said that, I do think that we need to get used to our shoes. So if I pick up a new pair of shoes and I've already worn that model, I would use it for any sort of run however long. If it's a pair of shoes that I've not worn before, then I would try to use it on a couple shorter runs first.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Julia1971

+1 on doing a shorter run first.  Mostly, I worry about getting blisters with new shoes...  I haven't tried this for running shoes but if you *have* to run in them, my local soccer store turned me on to wearing thick nylons under my socks when wearing new cleats.  I don't know why but it works like a charm for me.

to wearing thick nylons under my socks when wearing new cleats.  I don't know why but it works like a charm for me.

Blisters are caused by friction - nylons reduce or eliminate friction.  at least that is the theory....

How long should I run to break in my new Asics.  Have an 18 miler this weekend.  I assume this might be to much.

Here, I fixed it for ya.

Today's shoe use such nice materials that you probably don't need to break-in as much.  In fact, IF THE SHOE FITS, you should be able to put the brand new shoes out of a box and go for over an hour's run and shouldn't have any problem.  HOWEVER, if the shoe doesn't fit right, all the breaking-in in the world may not even help.  A lot of todays shoes have so much unnecessary junk on the upper and some seem to dig into your foot particularly when it bends.  It's probably better to be safe than sorry by walking around in them or running shorter distance in them first. 

this is the process that  works for me:  1. wear them at work & around 2-3 days & a few hours  2. 2-3 short to medium runs  3. LR 

Some say that modern running shoes don't need to be broken in. I tend to agree.

Having said that, I do think that we need to get used to our shoes. So if I pick up a new pair of shoes and I've already worn that model, I would use it for any sort of run however long. If it's a pair of shoes that I've not worn before, then I would try to use it on a couple shorter runs first.

This is what I do as well.   If I have worn the exact model before, I can wear it for the first time for any run, regardless of distance.   New model...I will wear it for shorter runs first to make sure it is the right shoe for me.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I recently changed shoes. I put 20 miles of easy runs on my new ones before I used them for hills or a long run. They're a newer version of what I was wearing before. Since shoe companies seem to always be making minor changes, it's no hassle for me to alternate shoes for a bit with new and old pairs to make sure there are no issues.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.