High Millage body pain (Read 795 times)

So yesterday I ran 11 miles for the first time. The run was quite pleasant and even though it was warm, it wasn't really difficult till right at the end. Any ways after the run my body felt like it had been beat up, expessially my feet. Today I feel pretty good,just a few aches and pains. Actually my muscles feel great, I just feel a bit of tendon pain and the feet are just a bit tender. Does your body ever get used to high mileage? Do your feet ever come to the point that they felt as though they have NOT been pounded by sledge hammers? It is ashamed becuase cardiovascularly I feel as though I could handle much more, but my joints/bones are saying hold up a bit won't you?
      I think that once you get used to one mileage level, you start pushing for the next one. Then you try to do those miles faster and that is harder. It is a viscous cycle. Ha Ha. I think muscles and tendons most always lag the aerobic engine. Don't be ashamed about that. They do get stronger though as long as you don't completely overtax them to injury. Your 11 miler sounds about like my first 11 miler. No worries. It will get better. One thing I noticed when I started running. If you keep the ratio between the length of your longest run and your other runs not so large it is better. That is, if say you are only running 20 miles a week and you make your longest run 13 miles, that would be a pretty large ratio and make recovery more difficult. Those supporting runs during the week help to strengthen your legs so they are just as important as running a long way in a single run. There is a rule of thumb about this but I can't remember it off the top of my head... Undecided
        The rule of thumb is something like long runs should be no more than one third your total mileage. Or no more than half. Something like that. Yes, the pain will eventually go away with more mileage and more long runs under your feet. I think the sorest I recall being (aside from racing) was when I got back into running and did @16 miles. Sidestepped down the stairs the next day. That also seemed to be some breakthrough though and subsequent long runs didn't feel as painful.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, given time, your body will get used to it. Take this from someone with a lifetime high of 131 miles in a week. I remember my first 120-mile week ever. I was averaging around 70 miles per week with a previous high of 101 miles. By the end of that week everything hurt. For several weeks afterward as I began running more 100+ mile weeks, things continued to hurt but eventually less. The bad news is it takes a lot longer to toughen your body up for mileage than to build fitness. The good news is that the toughness also stays around a lot longer once you quit using it. It has been nearly 2 years since my last 100 mile week, and I know I would not get sore if I went out and ran 100 miles this week....but my current fitness level would probably leave me too fatigued to get out of bed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I also feel limited by my legs, I feel like I am always fighting to stay away from injuries. I am in the middle of a training plan right now and did a 10 miler yesterday. I feel like if i were to run today I would feel very achey, but, my muscles are not sore whatsoever. Did that make sense? My runs look about like yours and my feet dont hurt at all. When I first started out 2 years ago my feet would hurt pretty bad as low as 6 miles though.
            http://ericstarrtraining.blogspot.com/
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Yes, you'll get used to it. Some people take a lot longer to adapt than others. Consistency is key. Wish there was an shortcut of some sort I could offer you (because that would mean it was available to me as well) but there is not.
                I remember long runs where I had to hobble up the stairs afterward and kept hobbling up and down them for the next day. Now I do those same runs, have some lunch and head out on a bike ride or hike. Yeah, they do get a lot easier as you do them more often and get in some more miles each week.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Queen of 3rd Place

Chris - hang in there, you'll be amazed, the changes can be dramatic, my first 10 miler (about 2 years ago) left me useless for the rest of the day, and pretty sore the next. Now it's just a normal weekly run, after I get home and grab a shower, I don't even feel like I worked out at all. Arla

Ex runner

obsessor

If you run through the mill while high - expect some pain in the body, but it should go away after a while.
                      It happnes to us all. I did 18.6 miles last weekend. Was supposed to be 20 miles but my feet hurt so bad that I could not go on. I was fine the next day. I think my body was just in shock and asking me WTF are you doing, this is nuts!!!!!!!!!!! The next time you do 11 miles it WILL be easier.
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did two kinda long runs in the same week (for the first time) just recently (18,8,14,0 are my last 4 days), and the mileage didn't bother me at all -- and my guess is that that is a benefit of having upped my mileage over the last month or two. But my feet still get sore; I'm still hoping my feet will HTFU Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The bad news is it takes a lot longer to toughen your body up for mileage than to build fitness. The good news is that the toughness also stays around a lot longer once you quit using it.
                          I agree with the above I've delivered mail for years and I have no problem staying on my feet and moving for 4hrs or more, so I think I can train more hrs than most new runners and even more hours than some longtime runners. However on the fitness side, I am equal to anyone else getting off the coach, running times are still slow and it does take miles and miles of running to get faster.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius