New Member and help with running in HEAT!!! (Read 137 times)

DorkyDeric

Hey all!  I am new to this forum and I am glad I found it, I am sure it will be a great resource.  I recently got into running about 9 months ago and so far I have done a 5k, 15k and 10k, in that order.  I have another 5k tomorrow and I am having a big hurdle.  I am finding that the heat is my nemesis! I can do a 4-8 mile run just fine in moderate temperature weather, but give me something over 80 degrees or so, and anything over 2 miles, and it messes me up!  I just don't know what to do about it

I am extremely pale, I thought it was just the sun, so I got a hat so I could keep the sun off of my face, but it didn't seem to do much.  Yesterday, I did 3 miles and I tried to prepare as best I could.  I hydrated all day, made sure to have food in my body, not junk and not over eat and I had a banana and electrolyte drink before I ran.  I wore a hat and about a mile in, I started feeling horrible.  As the last two miles went on, I got slower and slower, feeling worse and worse but I was able to tough it out.  When I got to my last 1/2 mile, there is a corner that I have to stop at for a crosswalk and when I had to wait, I couldn't just stop.  I felt so overheated that I had to keep moving or I felt like I was going to just black out or something.  I don't think I have had it be this bad before.  I walked for half a block, then finished my last half mile of running.  Went home, and drank more water with electrolytes.

Here are my thoughts on what the problems might be, perhaps someone might have different insight.  1. Maybe the hat is keeping too much heat in and I need to looking into a different option.  Thing is, it is hard for me to have the sun bleating on my while I am running so I would have to figure that part out for times that I would have to run when I am not able to do morning or evening runs.  2. Perhaps I need to get my body to adjusted to running in hotter temperatures, and that will take a little time so I just need to be patient.  3.  I need to alter what I am wearing a bit.  Last night I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, nothing to heavy, but maybe I could go with a tank and smaller shorts or something?  These are the only things I can think of.  Has anyone else had any issues with the heat or have any advice?  I haven't been able to find much on the internet, as it is only about when NOT to run in the heat, not HOW to run in the heat.  Thank you in advance for any help!!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You do what you can as far as hydrating and wearing light clothes, but the bottom line is, you can't and you won't run as well in hot weather. Temper your expectations. Run slower, jog, walk, stop and rest if you have to. Just don't endanger yourself trying to set any records. At least a 5K will be over relatively quickly.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I use a visor rather than a hat, so that the heat can escape off the top of my head.  (Also, I have a lot of hair!)

I dress in as little as I can get away with if it's hot and sunny.  But don't forget the sunscreen.

I run a lot slower in the heat.  Right now, I'm near a forest fire, and in the early morning - when it's cool and I usually run - the smoke drifts down the valley and blankets my area, so I've been running after the wind picks up around 10:30-11, and it's been hot.  I've noticed that my pace is much slower, and also, the longer I run, my heart rate just keeps rising.  Nothing for it other than to slow down.

JimR

It's not so much hydration or the hat or the style of shirt you're wearing.  When you run in the heat, you MUST have air blowing across your body or you are going to roast.  If you run with a tail wind, leaving you effectively in dead air, even for a couple of minutes, your body temp will sky on you.  A lot of my runs are at noon and in pretty warm temps.  When it's high 80's and into 90 I check the wind direction before I start and make sure I have that air through my run.  Ideally I want a solid reliable cross-breeze the whole way.  If I can't get that, then I'll start out with the tail wind as much as I can manage, then return into the head wind and keep the return leg cool.  The opposite of that is a killer.

paul2432

You will acclimate over time.  Two weeks of consistent running in the heat should be enough.  You’ll never be as fast as you would in cool conditions, but it will be easier.  Soaking  your hat and shirt with cold water will help as well.  If you run by water fountains be sure to rewet your hat.

Next year seek out some hotter runs in the spring and/or overdress for some runs so you are ready when the warmer weather comes around.

NorthNorthwest

All good advice, including what you're suggesting in the original post. Definitely make sure you're slowing down from what you'd do in normal weather. Slow down A LOT. Take walking breaks. Don't worry, you're definitely getting the workout. Acclimation does take time - probably moreso for a newer runner - so definitely have patience and don't run yourself into the ground.

If you can find some shade, that makes a huge difference. Even just to mix in with stretches of sun. Better yet, run before the sun rises.

During the summer, I always run with a handheld bottle so I'm never without water. That makes all the difference for me, and eases my mind on hot days. I'll squirt it on my head and the back of my neck, too. Then I'll refill at every fountain I come across That can help immensely, as I learned at the Nashville Marathon last year when it was 90F+ at the finish line. (there's research out there on skin temp and impact on performance)

I love the Amphipod handheld, which is cheap and super simple. But there are plenty of other options for carrying water.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Acclimatization is the key to running in extreme weather. Even so you will be slower in the heat as your body works to cool you down by sweating more and diverting more blood to the skin. At a certain point you may just have to finish your run with a walk, you can only tolerate so much heat and there is the danger of heatstroke which can be serious, you could pass out and end up in the hospital. Listen to your body and don't tempt fate by pushing beyond your limits. I did a marathon in near 90 degree heat and walked much of the last half. I've also tried training runs in 90 degree heat of 18 miles and had to walk the last 6. If you overheat the first symptoms of heatstroke might be a headache and nausea. Of course drinking lots of water, or better a mix of half sports drink and half water (faster absorbed) is essential. I just wear running shorts in hot weather and use sunscreen, but that may not be an option if you are very pale. I also have a swimming pool to jump in after a run which cools me back down pretty fast.. Good luck tomorrow!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Run in a tank top! jersey, singlet, call it whatever you will.

I will no longer again run a race over 60 degrees in a t shirt!

might not affect others as much as me, but t shirts feel way warmer to me when running outdoors or racing than tanks/singlets.

300m- 37 sec.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Everybody is affected adversely by heat and by direct sun, but not equally; some runners are affected more than others.

This is another reason it is tricky to measure oneself against other runners--this is another individual variable beyond one's control.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DD  welcome !             I don't think I will ever be able to  fully acclimize to running in the heat  living along PNW coast all my life. going through hot spell (for us)  in Seattle right now &   live about 35 miles NE of Seattle near foothills where it is 5-10 degrees warmer. 50-60 with clouds or rain is my perfect running temp not upper 80's to mid 90"s;

to summarize: wear as light/breathable/cool clothes you can get away with & still be covered up

find any shade you can possibly find

run through sprinklers and/or dip your head under water fountains & any chance you may have rinse off your face/head with cold water

hydrate often

ultralight coolmax socks-stay away from cotton or wool !

run cooler times of day as possible, either earlier or after sun sets

visor?   maybe, find the lightest most breathable one you can find

get away from busier streets, sidewalks

run shorter & SLOW down your pace, even walk if you need to (especially in shady areas)

that's it from me  fwiw

pedaling fool

Training in high heat is a good thing...embrace the suck

https://www.outsideonline.com/2098556/surprising-benefits-training-heat

Excerpt:

Studies have found that, in addition to an increased rate of perspiration, training in the heat can increase an athlete’s blood plasma volume (which leads to better cardiovascular fitness), reduce overall core temperature, reduce blood lactate, increase skeletal muscle force, and, counterintuitively, make a person train better in cold temperatures. In fact, heat acclimation may actually be more beneficial than altitude training in eliciting positive physiological adaptations, says Santiago Lorenzo, a professor of physiology at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and a former decathlete at the University of Oregon.

“Heat acclimation provides more substantial environmental specific improvements in aerobic performance than altitude acclimation,” he says. And in contrast to the live low, train high philosophy, we more quickly adapt to heat stress than we do to hypoxia. In other words, heat training not only does a better job at increasing V02 max than altitude, but it also makes athletes better at withstanding a wider range of temperatures.

What I do in the hot weather is wet a wash cloth, then put some ice cubes in it.  The ice will melt after about 30-45 minutes, but then you still have the wet washcloth to wipe the sweat from your eyes.  I use it to on my neck and behind my ears too. Really seems to help me out.  Although hot weather running to me, really does suck.  Give me 30 degrees and I'm a happy camper, and runner!!!  It will take a few runs to get use to carrying something in your hand, but it is a lifesaver to me.