coronary artery spasm/microvascular disease (Read 52 times)

HappyFeat

Hi folks, This may be an obscure problem, but wondering if anyone here has this and how it has affected your running?

Completely out of the blue, I had such a spasm last Thursday and it caused me to have a heart attack!  I had an angiogram in the hospital which showed a pristine healthy heart with no disease or damage. They said the spasm was not in a major artery, but in the tiny ones at the bottom of the heart (microvascular). I am awaiting follow-up with a cardiologist, but was told by the hospital that it was ok to resume normal activities.

Dr Google told me "no running for 2 weeks" and encouraged walking. So I've been walking every day and feel fine. However, I joined a FB group for this problem which might have been a mistake because it's a little upsetting reading everyone's experiences which are pretty much my "worst case scenario." Which brings me to post here and ask if any runners have worked with or through this problem.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Oh no, that sounds very very scary. I don't have any informed advice to offer, but sorry to hear this happened to you.

"...which showed a pristine healthy heart with no disease or damage..." -- this seems very encouraging, hope it remains so.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Dr Google told me "no running for 2 weeks" and encouraged walking. So I've been walking every day and feel fine. However, I joined a FB group for this problem which might have been a mistake because it's a little upsetting reading everyone's experiences which are pretty much my "worst case scenario." Which brings me to post here and ask if any runners have worked with or through this problem.

I haven't experienced what you have but I am sorry to hear. I agree with milktruck on that part.

The only thing I will add is to avoid some of these FB groups, or really anything with injuries. If you read up on any running injury, they all sounds like something that will bother you the rest of your life. Why? Because the people who post on these topics (or stay in these groups) are still there because they still have issues. All the people who went on with their lives healthily have self-selected out. Every stress fracture sounds like it will bother you for a year, all hamstring issues for the rest of your life, any tendonitis is chronic. It's clearly not the case.

Anyway, your issue is clearly way more serious than some tendonitis issue, but I would listen to your doctors and not a FB group.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

HappyFeat

Jmac, you make a great point. It actually flitted through my brain in the last 24 hours, but escaped - you know how that goes. So I really appreciate your bringing that up! The people who are doing great don't need to commiserate with other sufferers; so I won't necessarily find their stories.  Well perhaps, as with running, "we are all an experiment of one" and I will write my own story. I promise you that it will include running in some fashion.

@HappyFeat, sorry to hear that this happened to you. I don't know which groups you've joined but https://www.facebook.com/groups/cardiacathletes/ is a good support group with thousands of members all over the world. You won't just find doom and gloom there (I'm assuming this isn't the group you joined as it isn't specific to one heart condition as you mentioned). I know there are at least a couple of RAers there as well.

I'm no doctor but I think waiting to see the cardiologist isn't a bad idea. I imagine they may want your return to running to be under observation (either a stress test and/or cardiac rehab), and, speaking from personal experience, that will offer a lot of mental comfort for when you get back out there on your own.

HappyFeat

Oh no, that sounds very very scary. I don't have any informed advice to offer, but sorry to hear this happened to you.

"...which showed a pristine healthy heart with no disease or damage..." -- this seems very encouraging, hope it remains so.

Thank you, MT. I am just floored by it. Completely out of the blue. No risk factors other than "older age" and "female". Life can be very uncertain at times. You never know what's around the corner. My plan is the same as my approach to running: one breath, one step at a time

Perhaps I'll rejoin your HM group someday

HappyFeat

@HappyFeat, sorry to hear that this happened to you. ...

Thank you RedRunner! I'll check out that group.I appreciate the rest of your input too.

joerider

Every individual's experience with microvascular spasms may vary, and it's essential to prioritize your health and well-being. While online forums can provide a sense of community, it's important to remember that everyone's situation is unique, and what works for one person may not necessarily apply to another.

If you have concerns or questions about incorporating running back into your routine, it's advisable to discuss them with your cardiologist. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific health condition and guide you on the appropriate level of physical activity.

Additionally, maintaining open communication with your healthcare team is crucial. Be sure to inform them of any symptoms or concerns you may have, and follow up regularly as advised. Remember, your health is the top priority, and any adjustments to your exercise routine should be made in consultation with medical professionals who have a complete understanding of your individual circumstances.