Another CR Refugee I guess (Read 772 times)

starfish1000

Hi everyone. I was a very occasional poster at CoolRunning but grew increasingly tired and annoyed with the childishness and hostility of some of the members so I gradually stopped checking in at the the site. After a long absence, today I discover that things boiled over a few weeks ago and that many CR members have opted for refugee status here at RunningAhead. So... Hello former CR comrades and hello new RA friends! And a word to Long Run Nick if he's around, as I understand he might be. Nick, a very long while back you gave me some good advice about starting to run again after a long injury and a lot of pounds piled on. Thank you for that. After several false starts I've really, deeply thought about your words and I'm glad to say I feel good about the path I'm on now. ALL WALKING for now. I hope I don't disgust anyone here with that secret. But I can feel a very slow run is about 8 weeks away. Cheers everyone! k

Another Passion

Hi starfish! Welcome to RA! This is a friendly and helpful place I think you will find to your liking. Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Hi everyone. I was a very occasional poster at CoolRunning but grew increasingly tired and annoyed with the childishness and hostility of some of the members so I gradually stopped checking in at the the site. After a long absence, today I discover that things boiled over a few weeks ago and that many CR members have opted for refugee status here at RunningAhead. So... Hello former CR comrades and hello new RA friends! And a word to Long Run Nick if he's around, as I understand he might be. Nick, a very long while back you gave me some good advice about starting to run again after a long injury and a lot of pounds piled on. Thank you for that. After several false starts I've really, deeply thought about your words and I'm glad to say I feel good about the path I'm on now. ALL WALKING for now. I hope I don't disgust anyone here with that secret. But I can feel a very slow run is about 8 weeks away. Cheers everyone! k
        Hi Starfish, Thanks for the kind words. It gives me a lot of pleasure to be able to share my insights and what I have learned about my running--and running in general--over the last 3+ decades. I know you know that a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Stay in motion. Walking is looked down on by some "elitist" runners. Walk--enjoy--just keep moving. Again, thanks for remembering my words. Nick

Just Be

Welcome! Smile Nothing wrong with walking, as long as you're exercising, you're helping yourself get healthy. When I first started I was only 14, but really out of shape. I had to walk for the first couple of months. I remember liking the treadmill because I could control the intensity very well with the incline. My best advice to you, stay consistent! I didn't and I really regret it.
            1st post, just came over from cool running and am glad to see many of the helpfull people that I have read so many times. Long run Nick, Figbash, Knobby and many others. Southern man was always a big help but I haven't seen him post here. Thanks for the great advice the past 2 years.
              Hi Starfish, welcome to RA. I'd made a couple of failed attempts at running, I think the wrong shoes and too much too soon led to problems with my knee and lower back. I needed to do SOMETHING to get active, so I walked for a year or so. The next step was climbing stairs, I got up to 2000 steps up and down several times a week. I stumbled on an article about Jeff Galloway's success converting couch potatoes to marathon runners with his run/walk method, and decided to give it a try. I've been using the run/walk program for several years now, and (knock wood) I've remained injury-free. I'm hoping to complete my second marathon in early May, and I'll be using walk breaks throughout. I think it would be a great way for you to transition when you feel ready, you can find some information at http://runinjuryfree.com LRN, it's very nice to see you stuck around RA after a bit of a rough go. You've got a small army of fans, and it's easy to see why.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

starfish1000

Hi everyone! Thank you for being there Nick, it means a lot to those of us who hope to make running an important part of our (hopefully) long and healthy lives like you have. Yes huskerboiler, it is nice to see familiar names. It kinda feels like coming home doesn't it? And BadDawg - I too suffered from far too many bouts of too-much-too-soon-itis and I swear ... never again. RVelich and Runner92, thank you for your greetings and encouragement. My internal supply of self-faith has been dwindling lately. I need to tell you guys what prompted me to visit the CR site which led me ultimately to you. My good friend died last Saturday at aged 48 (just turned) of a heart attack. She was lean, used to be a competitive netballer (kinda like basketball) and was a great human being. She smoked - but not too much ... maybe smoking at all is too much, I don't know. Anyway, it's been a sad week. I've always done something. A run here, a lot of walks there, weights, a bit of biking. But NOTHING consistently. Well, if ever there was time to snap out of my denial, this is it. I'm scared that I'm kidding myself about every running again or losing the weight. Does anyone else ever feel like it's futile? I'll keep in touch everyone and you do the same. kris

Queen of 3rd Place

starfish - no one will look down on you for walking! It takes dedication to keep at it! And yes, there are times when I feel like I'm going nowhere. I have to run very slowly, and it seems like there will never be any improvement. But I figure that even running like a snail is something. Arla

Ex runner

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"I've always done something. A run here, a lot of walks there, weights, a bit of biking. But NOTHING consistently. Well, if ever there was time to snap out of my denial, this is it. I'm scared that I'm kidding myself about every running again or losing the weight. Does anyone else ever feel like it's futile?" Kris, I definitely felt that way for years, but now I don't. I started running in October 2006 and have never looked back. I'm 45, totally uncoordinated, and a former couch potato. I just had to make losing weight and exercising the NUMBER ONE priority in my life. That's why I like the forums and training log. Accountability has made all the difference for me. I've lost 30 pounds and can run 5 miles now (hopefully 5.5 miles tomorrow). You can do it! Just increase your running distance very gradually. After I got over the initial soreness, I haven't had a single twinge or problem. I've run 8 5ks and 1 10k. I usually come in at the very last, but I don't care! I'm glad you're on RA - you'll get a lot of advice and encouragement. Teresa
                      Hi Starfish~ First: My condolences on the loss of your friend. How very sad. Nothing brings it all home than the death of someone in a totally un-expected way. I hope you find comfort in your memories, and that your heart heals very soon. You are doing her a great honor by honoring your body, and exercising. Now my $.02 worth: This site is SO much better than CR. Everyone here is hilarious, wisecracking, and so supportive, oh yes, and KNOWLEDGEABLE. that is the most important thing. They will be here for you every step of the way to make sure you reach your goals. You need to do one thing though, You have to create your training log and profile and make it public for all to see. This is what will matter the most: Accountability- If you have to log it after every workout, it will make you realize just how much effort you are putting in. and it is pretty damn cool to look back at where you started, and realize how far you have come! Reference: Whenever you ask for advice, or help with a running related problem, if everyone can see your training, it is far easier to diagnose what might be wrong by taking a peek at your training log. Who YOU are: If you want to feel like a member of the new family, everyone here wants to welcome you, but it's hard to welcome strangers. Post a few things about you, and a picture. Who knows whom you might see on ths street and maybe recognize? Welcome Home, and you will LOVE it here! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

...And I do.

Hi Starfish! So sorry about your loss. This is a good time to focus on your walk program. Oh and one more thing... we are no longer CR refugees but we are all RA family members! Glad you are here. ~Shell