Charlottesville Half-Marathon Race Report (Read 449 times)

va

I just completed my first half marathon. I’m so excited, that I just can’t hide it. I’m about to lose control, and I think I like it… Preliminaries The race started at 6:30 AM. I awoke at 4:30, and had two Pop Tarts (strawberry w/icing), a cup of black tea, and a Gatorade. This combination worked really well. (I got the Pop Tarts idea from an RA forum thread. Thanks!) Usually when I eat before a run, I get indigestion, but this time I didn’t. Weather Although it was going to be in the upper 70s today, it was in the 40s during the race. It was a little chilly at the start, but I was quite comfortable for most of the race. It was really a nice day for a race. Gear I wore a long sleeve tech shirt over a short sleeve tech shirt and shorts. I brought my iPod. Parking I parked in the Water St. Parking deck. I had no problem finding a spot. Course The course starts and ends in the downtown mall and can be divided roughly into 5 parts: 1. city (Main St/University Ave) – 3 miles [mostly up hill] 2. winding woods – 2 miles [mostly down hill] 3. monster hill in the country with Blue Ridge vistas – 3 miles [big up hill, mostly flat, big down hill] 4. winding woods return – 2 miles [mostly up hill] 5. city (Massie/Grady/Preston Ave) – 3 miles [mostly down hill] See: http://www.runningahead.com/maps/4f4113f5cb9e4c19ba43aa6a6ca2601e for course details and elevation. Warm-Up I did some slow jogging in the downtown mall for about 5 minutes. The Race Unlike the Charlottesville 10 miler and its party-like atmosphere, there was minimal fan support (the race started early) and no live music. The course is a bit challenging, so I leaned heavily on my iPod to help me through it. I played the same 3 upbeat Panic! At the Disco songs over and over, as well as Eminem’s Lose Yourself many times. My legs felt good through-out the race, and I had good energy. Overall, I think I felt stronger than the 10 Miler 3 weeks ago. I don’t know if it was the 3 weeks of interim training or the Pop Tarts. I ate a bag of Sport Beans during the race. McMillan predicted a 2:11:09 finish based on my 10 Miler time. I finished unofficially at 2:09:49. I am happy. Although this course is tough, I really liked it, both for the scenery and the challenge. I am thinking next year I might want to do the fuil. This might be a good warm-up for the monkey. Now I need to find another race. I can’t wait until Richmond in November…
      Great time, congrats on the finish! You just keep on progressing! Big grin
        Well done, Stephen! Sounds as if your pre-race training and morning routine worked perfectly for you. I may have to try the pop tart strategy. Big grin
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

madness baby

Pop Tarts it is, then, for me at my next race! Great job, VA. You should be so proud! Now I've got that damn song stuck in my head. . . and I think I like it!
          deb
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WTG! Nice report, and nice race. Maybe we can get pop tarts to be a sponsor of RA! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nice Job! Congratulations on completing your first half marathon.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...that sounds so much like my first HM last Fall...I was so happy after that race that I wanted to run around and kiss everyone--I restrained myself, though, for I didn't want to be arrested for PDAs, LOL! Wink Your time is really awesome! I'm glad you could use your iPod, too. Even though Eryn and I ran together today there were moments where I would have liked my music. The course was through semi-rural areas and in the thick of the race we were too tired to talk much. Music really helps keep me pumped when things get challenging. Pop Tarts...have you tried those Pop Tarts sticks? I wonder how those would work? I may have to try those at some point, though I am a big fan of Rice Krispy treats. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Cool Niiice. Big grin Congrats on your first HM!!! Sounds like you're hooked!

Roads were made for journeys...

COngrats on a great race! Big grin and thanks for reminding about the pop tarts!!! I might get some for tomorrow. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231