Apple MacBook...? (Read 1193 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

Anybody out there have one? Confused My kids are getting older and need to use my desktop PC more and more for school...thinking about giving them mine, and getting a Macbook for me Wink I've heard great things, but wondering what my RA buddies know...? Never had an Apple computer... -What are the Pro's, Con's, etc...? -What's a good deal? $1,200 is the best I've been able to find... Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

I have owned two Mac OS computers; G4/500 AGP and PCP210 (Mac Clone). My big gripe with Apple is when they transitioned from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Bunch of software I had did not function under OS 9 emulation. Benefit is you can run MAC OS X or Windows, but your stuck with a single button clicker for the pointer interface unless you go with a 3rd party solution. iLife is nice, but if you have lots of photos it'll be a pain. I would check small dog electronics or other world computing for deals. I'd probably get a Dell 830, if I was getting a laptop.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Benefit is you can run MAC OS X or Windows, but your stuck with a single button clicker for the pointer interface unless you go with a 3rd party solution.
        You sure about that...? Wink Mighty Mouse

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You sure about that...? Wink Mighty Mouse
          Angry... Okay... out of the box, it just has a single click interface.

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd probably get a Dell 830, if I was getting a laptop.
            I would not. Unless you think your time is best spent on the phone for hours dealing with hardware and software malfunction. Some 50% of Dells in my experience have had some sort of substantial pain in the neck problem in the first year. Apples? Not so much. I use PCs and Macs at home and at work, have for years. I am NOT one of these Mac-heads (though I love to pretend to be one). Currently I have a MacBookPro (my second Mac laptop and third Mac) and three Dells. There is NO way I would spend my money today on anything other than a Mac. Why? Well... 1. They are very dependable (recognizing that ALL computers can have troubles) 2. They just work, fully functional right out of the box, with no need to configure, install, format, blah blah blah* 3. I can run Mac and PC thanks to the Intel processor and any number of third party apps (such as Parallels) 4. For MOST of what I do (internet, word processing, powerpoint, photos) the Mac does as well to far better than a PC. Some things like the native email and calendar apps are not great, but you can run Microsoft or other third-party programs for this as well. Or just use gmail. 5. The cost is a touch more, but not substantial and the computer lasts far longer, again, in my experience 6. They just look so much cooler... *2 examples of "it just works": 1) I was recently at a meeting. I opened my Macbook and got right onto the network. Period. All the PC users struggled for most of the day to get on the network, and many never succeeded. 2) I recently moved to a different office. To connect my PC to the printer, I had to go through this clunky Microsoft Wizard on my Dell, find the printer type, then find the printer location, then find the printer all via this stupid program. Then I had to print a test page to see if it was the right printer. It took 4 attempts to get connected to 1 printer. I then opened up my Macbook and typed in the printer location on the network (which the Wizard never let me give) and it found the printer, identifyed the type and printed the test page all in one step. It was so easy, I added a total of three printers at once.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This: Or this: Cool vs Tired.
              Jeffrey

Anybody out there have one? Confused
                I have a Macbook pro and a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. Before that, I owned a Powerbook pro Pismo, Apple G3 tower (blue and clear plastic), Macintosh Powerpc (desktop box that your monitor sat on top of), Mac Quadra 800 (those were the days), Apple Laser printers ... the list goes on ... all the way back to 1984. I have been good to Apple -- and Apple has been good to me.
                Never had an Apple computer... -What are the Pro's, Con's, etc...? -What's a good deal? $1,200 is the best I've been able to find...
                PROS - Apple engineers their products so users can intuitively work/play right out of the box. - Setup is painless and you are directed with thoughtful prompts from Apple OS software. - Software is reliable and predictable - Hardware is made really well. Monitors, mice, CPUs, whatever, it's all made to high standards and will last. - Go to an Apple store to analyze the build quality. - I have never required servicing on any of my Apple computers or peripherals. CONS - It'll cost more than PC computers. DEAL - Check all the usual suspects -- online retailers abound. - Check the apple.com store, refurbished section. Over the last 20 years I have purchased monitors, CPUs and gadgets from the refurbished section. Everything worked flawlessly. You get an Apple warranty when you buy this way (in case you ever need it -- like I said I never had problems with anything). Good luck!
                  I would not.
                  My work uses a ton of these Dell laptops (610/620/630 and 810/820/830) outside of the office setting. I have not heard of any real issues with one exception, the batteries.

Vim

Marathonmanleto

Rcently purchased a macbook for family-replaced Dell desktop. Everyone loves. Wife does email and personal finance suff. Kids for school. Me for surfing at night. Big improvement for all.
                    Jeffrey

Did you buy one this weekend? If and when you do, reply back on how you like it! Smile

2008 Philly Trifecta

Did you buy one this weekend? If and when you do, reply back on how you like it! Smile
                        Went to Best Buy with my wife Sat, and got a tutorial from the Apple Rep there...WOW! Looks like my wife had already been planning on getting me one for Chrsitmas. What a girl! Since I just ordered the Garmin 305, I can wait for the Mac...I think... Cry Question: Should I load the Garmin 305 software on my PC now...or wait for the Mac? Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                        2008 Philly Trifecta:
                        10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                        Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                        Philly Marathon-11/23
                        "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you get the Mac, wait until after the latest version of the OS (10.5 aka "Leopard") is released (sometime in October). Otherwise, you'll have to pay $129 to upgrade your OS, because current computers are shipping with 10.4 installed.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree about Leopard. I use motionbased.com for all my Garmin data, so there is no difference between my PC and Mac. All the data goes online.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey