Running on a full stomach! (Read 1059 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Am I doing myself harm or just making my runs more uncomfortable. Most of my evening runs are done about an hour after my main meal for the day, typically 300g of pasta, 100g of tuna and mix of veg. I know its not ideal but to suit the pattern of home life I tend to eat when I return from work. Any thoughts on what I'm doing to my body?

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I'm wondering how you can eat an hour before running and not want to throw up. If I eat too much even two hours before running, I cramp and want to vomit. Do you feel it's a problem for you? If you can run okay that soon after eating, then maybe it's just something you're able to do. If you're not sure about whether you'd perform better on an emptier stomach, maybe alter your eating habits for a trial period (a week or two maybe??). Can you have a banana before running instead, and then have your main meal when you get home. I can't answer what it's doing to your body though...my guess would be different strokes for different folks. What works for you may not work for everyone.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can do an easy run an hour after eating, assuming that I didn't have a really large or heavy meal. I wouldn't want to do speedwork or a race less than 2 hours after eating, though. Dead

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Am I doing myself harm or just making my runs more uncomfortable. Most of my evening runs are done about an hour after my main meal for the day, typically 300g of pasta, 100g of tuna and mix of veg. I know its not ideal but to suit the pattern of home life I tend to eat when I return from work. Any thoughts on what I'm doing to my body?
          Interesting question. Hopefully a doc will pop up and explain whether its actually potentially harmful. As a semi-educated guess, I'd think that - if you aren't stuffing yourself - its probably fine, and probably better for you than eating a big late night meal and going straight to bed. I know that ain't good. Makes you fat and slow and sluggish. As Zoom said - probably not a problem for easy runs. On really long slow runs, I actually like to eat a decent meal first. It's a bit uncomfortable at first, but if you're running slow and long enough, it seems to help out after 10-15 miles, especially if you decide to leave the gels at home. On the other hand, if you're trying to run tempo pace an hour after eating - or if you're just a quick runner all the time - I'd probably try to avoid this. The few times I've done it, it hurt. And there are some potentially embarrassing problems that could pop up. Or pop out.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not harmful. Just painful. And it will increase your risk of diarrhea.

Why is it sideways?

You can train the body to deal with this better, too. I've been in a situation like the OP's before when training hard and running doubles, and the first few times it sucked, but eventually I was able to adapt somewhat.
                I agree with Jeff. When I started running I couldn't eat within about 3 hours of my runs... even a glass of water within 30-45 minute of my run would cause discomfort, cramping, etc. Ultrarunning pretty much mandates that you eat a lot and take in a lot of fluids, so over the years my body has become accustomed to it. Now I can eat a pretty full meal right before a run without too much issue. It took some time to adapt... not sure what the body does to adapt, but it appears to do it fairly well.

A Saucy Wench

I was shocked the other night. I am usually a first-thing-in the morning runner, but dh was gone from 5 am to 7 pm. AFTER I had already had a big meal I decided I couldnt stand it and would run after dh got home, so maybe 90 minutes after eating, but still felt full. It was one of the best run I had in ages. I didnt look at my watch at all and kept getting faster all run. Not so bad. If your stomach doesnt cramp up, go for it. Most times when I run in the evening I split up my evening meal, but I can run pretty well on food.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Not harmful. Just painful. And it will increase your risk of diarrhea.
                    AH HA That is interesting. I have always run on an empty stomach even for 20+ miles. If I eat too close to, a run I have cramps and usually I just keep having to spit from beginning to end. Recently with the start of spring, I have been doing doubles and have had to run only a couple hours after eating in the PM and I noticed that I have been having diarrhea. Could this possibly be my problem Trent.
                    Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Thanks for all the comments folks. I do try to make my runs a bit easier after a meal and luckily dont cramp up, just feel uncomfortable with my gut wobbling about. would never dream of racing like this but havent raced in a few years. I wonder will my body expect this fuel in my stomach before every run and will this then affect me in a race. I always used to run a few hours after a meal but, as someone said earlier, that would mean a late evenig meal and going to bed on a full stomach. My first race is not until end of June so I think i,ll try to experiment a bit before then. Thanks again.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

The Greatest of All Time

AH HA That is interesting. I have always run on an empty stomach even for 20+ miles. If I eat too close to, a run I have cramps and usually I just keep having to spit from beginning to end. Recently with the start of spring, I have been doing doubles and have had to run only a couple hours after eating in the PM and I noticed that I have been having diarrhea. Could this possibly be my problem Trent.
                        Try waiting to eat until after your second run. It's what I do. Normally I get home from work, change quickly, and grab a hanful of almonds or a few crackers and head out. But I guess if you're having a sit-down family dinner that could be a problem.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          If I run right after I eat....I don't have any problems during the run, but about 1/2 hour-1 hour after my run I get the trots. I find that running 2-3 hours after a meal lessens the problem.
                          Personal Records 5K - 21:35